cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Scam

This person is a scammer

Says he bought my item Buy now.

But after I text him he wanted my PayPal info I told him to go to Ebay and pay through them.   Never heard from him again

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Buyer Scam

Good job spotting the scammer. Their intention was to send you a fake payment e-mail and hope you'd fall for it and ship the item.

You need to report the user to eBay. This is a member to member board and you can't name names here. @fishjim1_4 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Buyer Scam

File the Unpaid item report.  Glad you did not fall for this nonsense.   

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Buyer Scam

Open an unpaid case in 2 days.  BLOCK the scammer.  Perhaps you should add to your item description " BUYERS MUST PAY  Through the ebay PAY NOW button and also that you will ONLY ship to the address on the paypal payment."

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Buyer Scam

@ittybitnot wrote:

File the Unpaid item report.  Glad you did not fall for this nonsense.   

@ittybitnot and @ms.rodriguez* 

The email was not from the real buyer of the item. It was from a scammer who  would send a fake PayPal email saying the item had been paid for and it was okay to ship, hoping the OP would ship the item to him/her.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Buyer Scam

The email was not from the real buyer of the item. It was from a scammer who  would send a fake PayPal email saying the item had been paid for and it was okay to ship, hoping the OP would ship the item to him/her.

Not necessarily. They still have on occasion the "commit to buy " button that does not require immediate payment.  If indeed the listing is still active, then the ebay message is phony to be sure.  

Otherwise, if it ended with a scammer bidder of record, it is a whole other issue that is not a "happy seller experience" either.  Scammers will indeed "outbid" each other on an auction format listing just to be able to send the "give me your paypal email address" notice. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Buyer Scam

@fishjim1_4 wrote:

This person is a scammer

Says he bought my item Buy now.

But after I text him he wanted my PayPal info I told him to go to Ebay and pay through them.   Never heard from him again

I don't know why you were texting him, but be very careful as it may be thought you are engaging in an off ebay transaction.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Buyer Scam

@ittybitnot wrote:

Not necessarily. They still have on occasion the "commit to buy " button that does not require immediate payment.  If indeed the listing is still active, then the ebay message is phony to be sure.  

Otherwise, if it ended with a scammer bidder of record, it is a whole other issue that is not a "happy seller experience" either.  Scammers will indeed "outbid" each other on an auction format listing just to be able to send the "give me your paypal email address" notice. 

Yes, that could well be what happened.

I made my comment based on the following assumptions:

• that the OP sold on the id s/he posted with;
  • the OP does not have any active listings on the id s/he posted with, so I then assumed the item in question was the sold listing that shows on the id;
  • the sold listing ended with a "best offer accepted" item that was originally fixed price, not an auction. 

Again, the above were assumptions, and any one of those could render my original comment null and void. And incorrect. LOL!

Maybe the OP will return to tell us if an item was really sold, and whether the real buyer was the person named in the original post or someone different.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply