cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you ever not paid an after you've won an item?

I've always paid.  Usually within minutes.  But for some reason, every time I do a round of auctions, I have someone who doesn't pay.  Regardless of my settings someone always comes in whose feedback will say "fast payment" and for some reason, they don't respond and I'm stuck having to go through this again.  So frustrating.  My question is, why do you bid if you do not intend to pay?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Have you ever not paid an after you've won an item?

I've only not paid once.  It was a BIN item and I was buying to someone else (old friend, long story).  I realized immediately after hitting the BIN that it was the wrong scale model kit. But too late. I immediately messaged the seller asking to cancel, admitting to my dumb mistake.   Currently, I have a necklace "sold" but unpaid for from 10 days ago.  UPI is opened but I can't get my fees back yet. It happens.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Uh, if you sold an item 10 days ago, you could have opened an UPI case 48 hours later and returned to that case 96 hours later and asked eBay to step in.  Just wanted to make sure you knew that.   

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

No. I have never won an auction and not paid for the item even though a few times I regretted how much my bid was and thought about not paying. However, no one forced me to bid what I did so I have always paid.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

@for_asgard wrote:

My question is, why do you bid if you do not intend to pay?

They probably planned on paying when they placed their bids.

By the time an auction is over, Ebay has shown that buyer other items, usually BIN's and they probably bought another item already.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

No But I am getting a lot of deadbeat buyers who do not pay because Ebay lets this happen.  Immediate payment should be required on all types of sales

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

I have never bailed on a purchase.

That said, there are many reasons why people do:

They changed their mind.

They are sport bidders with no intention of paying, ever.

They are a competitor trying to keep your item off the market.

Ebay showed them a lower priced item AFTER they won/bought yours.

They are deadbeats.

They are broke.

They are broke azz deadbeats.

They had an emergency and Ebay is the last thing on their mind.

They died.

They  _________

Fill in the blank with anything.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

My question is, why do you bid if you do not intend to pay?

It seems quite unlikely that your target audience will be reached on this forum.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Well eBay often shows buyers the same item for cheaper either right after they place bid or in emails. I've seen it when I look at an item-I'm almost going to purchase it and then I scroll down and see eBay shows me the same items for cheaper....

sadly they often send the interested person to Chinese listings. It may look the same-but its prob a garbage version of the item.

It's not an excuse not to pay, but it will help you understand why people do it...

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

More than a handful of times I've written the seller that they can cancel as buyer requested if they didn't want to ship since the auction ended at the starting price.

It just didn't feel right when even FCP costs more than the bid. Not all, but some have taken my offer.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Perhaps you were unaware of this:  YOU, the seller, can list with fixed price, immediate payment required.

How does eBay let this happen?  When a buyer hasn't paid in 48 hours, eBay tells you that you, the seller, can open an unpaid item case in the Resolution Center.  eBay has no way to figure out what a buyer may do regarding payment, but they definitely offer sellers a solution if that happens. 

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Pardon me, but the seller is entirely in control of the starting price of his listing.

If he wanted more money for his item, he certainly could have priced it higher.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Once, when the seller was NARU'd. I was tempted once when I didn't notice until it was too late that the item was coming from China.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Just once. It was a boneheaded error on my part. I typically pay for auctions shortly after they end and BINs immediately.

About two years ago, I didn't realize I was signed into my rarely used selling account when I put in an early bid on an item I really wanted. A couple of weeks later I was wondering where the item was, but couldn't find the win or even a mention of the bid on my buying account. Checked my seller account and there it was! Unpaid item dispute opened and closed. Oh boy. The item had been relisted, and thankfully, I wasn't blocked from rebidding and following through. 

Sometimes dumb mistakes happen.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Yes, I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in April. I had 9 bids on junk Jewelry I had Bid on. I was so busy with Dr. Appointments for the first  3 weeks.  I won the items at the beginning BID price. I didn't pay for 9 items that totaled $9.00+from 2 Sellers rightfully filed Item NOT paid for. up until that time I had ALWAYS paid my won bids quickly or messaged the Seller saying I was working on a Purchase from them and would pay after the last bid was finished. 

Sellers always say that eBay does not do anything. Well, they do punish non-paying bidders. I was limited to bidding on a very few items. I had to pay for the Bids when I had acquired $10.00 worth of BIDS or I could not BID on anything. It was really frustrating to me as I usually put very low Bids on Many things at first to hold them so I know they are coming up and BID at the last minute the highest I will pay. 

I did call CS and explain to them what had happened and with the thousands of purchases and feedback I have received and My good record up to that point they cleared the record of the INP. 

So, Yes there IS PUNISHMENT FOR SPORT BIDDING AND NOT PAYING...Unless You open another account to bypass the punishment. some do that I guess... 😉 Sugar

Message 15 of 19
latest reply