cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anything like this ever happened to you guys?

17253F85-BB3E-43A1-915E-05B76A8DE268.jpeg

I sold a brand new sealed copy of this game to a buyer(highly rated seller/buyer as well from Mercari) and he returned it stating the disc was loose inside the sealed game. When I received it back, I relisted it as loose disc inside but sealed game on here Ebay. When the next buyer purchased and received the game , he opened it up and he sent me a photo saying “wth is this” with a used dvd of Tom Hanks movie “The Terminal” inside of the gargoyles case. (Photo bove)

I told him about the previous buyer and also if he wanted a refund and return I can do that. I was just curious if this was a scam or one of those very rare instances something like this just happened. Both the previous buyer and this one also had 100% feedback. 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I've sold thousands of dvds over the years. Loose discs and scams are common with dvds and cds.

Buyer #1 noticed the disc was rattling around inside, but probably didn't open it because of likely scratches on the playing surface from moving across the hold-down teeth in the center of the amaray case. If it was returned still sealed, it's indicative to me that buyer #1 was sincere, returned it, and the complaint was valid.

I think if this is a scam, it may be from buyer #2. Classic switcharoo. I had a few of those myself over the years, and it's one reason why I only rarely sell dvds and cds anymore.

All you can do is refund buyer #2 after receiving it back, unless it's economically not worth paying for a return shipping label. Write it off, block buyer #2, dust off your feet, and get on with your life. If this is the worst a seller has to face in the great scheme of things, it's not really worth getting one's knickers in a twist, IMHO.

Cheers, Duffy

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Think about it was it loose inside the case when you sent it??? 1st buyer made a small cut or heated a small section of plastic and got the game out slid in a piece  of crap movie got his game and his refund. I can tell you this movies and games are not made in the same place so zero chance this happened in factory the only perso. Who could have benefited from this is definitely buyer #1. Can’t very well give him a negative feedback or say anything bad or eBay will get you  I’d take this as a learning experience always double check returns buyers have more reason To pull scams than sellers. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@happy_bagel 

All buyers have 100% feedback.  Sounds like the previous buyer may have done a quick switch and keep the one you sold them.  Lots of scammers out there on all internet sales sites.  I would just refund the second buyer and be done with it.  We see a lot of the switcheroo's here on this forum.  A customer will purchase an item, file a SNAD, the buyer returns it to the seller only to not be what they purchased.  Virtual stealing I believe it's referred to and it's way out of hand.  Sorry for your experience.

Happy Selling

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

You have to be very cautious to resell a return.

I would have opened it, re secured the loose disc (also inspected it since it's loose possibly damaged) and then if everything matched up relist it was New Other/Open Box or Used/Like New.

I've had multiple buyers switch out discs on video game sales.

Since I inspected the return and being TRS I would have refunded him 50%, reported him.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@diecastorbust wrote:

Think about it was it loose inside the case when you sent it???

Loose discs can happen in shipping-- I've been on both the buying and selling end more than once. It's not at all uncommon.

That is why, if I'm shipping a DVD or a game that has been opened, I always stick a small square of bubble wrap inside the case on top of the disc to prevent that.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I've sold thousands of dvds over the years. Loose discs and scams are common with dvds and cds.

Buyer #1 noticed the disc was rattling around inside, but probably didn't open it because of likely scratches on the playing surface from moving across the hold-down teeth in the center of the amaray case. If it was returned still sealed, it's indicative to me that buyer #1 was sincere, returned it, and the complaint was valid.

I think if this is a scam, it may be from buyer #2. Classic switcharoo. I had a few of those myself over the years, and it's one reason why I only rarely sell dvds and cds anymore.

All you can do is refund buyer #2 after receiving it back, unless it's economically not worth paying for a return shipping label. Write it off, block buyer #2, dust off your feet, and get on with your life. If this is the worst a seller has to face in the great scheme of things, it's not really worth getting one's knickers in a twist, IMHO.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking too, but  even after the first buyer returned, I was also selling a second sealed copy of the same game and he was wanting to buy that copy considering the first copy was loose during shipping. However that second copy got sold before he could get it since he only liked the item. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Yeah, unfortunately and sadly that has happened. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Right, I didnt think much about it and because it was sealed I was sure the first buyer wouldnt go through the trouble of resealing the game just to get the disc only. Cant really resell disc only games without losing value though if all he wants is the disc to play without care for the case then he got it for sure. 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Yes but I was referring more to selling a game brand new sealed but inside it ended up being something completely different. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Yeah, I honestly don’t think it was buyer number 1 considering this guy is like a top rated seller and buyer from mercari with 1000s of items to sell and reviews. The second guy though, he just a casual buyer with a few 100 reviews and 100% ratings. 

I did purchase a shipping label so we’ll see how that goes if he’ll return the case with the dvd inside, lol. If he doesn’t then definitely hes the culprit considering Im not gonna go down letting him have the case for free if he already took the game and swapped it out. Atleast Ik he wont have it complete if he did take it.  If he doesn’t return then guess I lost another 5 bucks for the shipping label. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply