cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone's sales just stopped this month?

Hi Guys

so been selling on eBay for 8 years now much the same products so on so forth 

but as late at least this month my sales have all but stopped,  i've sold more on 

Holiday mode!

is anyone else had the same think happen,   did notice that a couple of sales had

the yellow holiday banner on them but i even checked with eBay and my holiday setting

is off 

any advice would be good is it just me or have you been affected ?

Thanks Guys 

Message 1 of 72
latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

Re: Has anyone's sales just stopped this month?

The week was pretty decent for selling but the weekend really got quiet with 1 minor sale.  Fortunately, the flea market was booming.  Many did not sell well but I had an awesome total in sales.   eBay was really steady since April.  I didn't expect it to last.   Best of luck.     🙂

Message 31 of 72
latest reply

My numbers are down 30-60% and the majority is from many ebay glitches that are going on as I saw someone explain above. 19 years of doing this and since Feb 10th, ebay has been a HUGE mess for buyers and sellers. It is beyond old and I'm so tired of it all...and they have not put me in Managed Payments yet. I'm sure sure if that will help or hurt even more when that happens.

Message 32 of 72
latest reply

Thanks for your perspective. I can see what you mean in regards to covid but in my situation sales were more regular until specifically Aug 7. That’s the odd thing. I still haven’t had any other sales for September. Only one. At this rate my store fee will come out of pocket. That’s never happened. 

Message 33 of 72
latest reply

July was slow and August was slower. Since the beginning of September my sales have quadrupled. Pretty much as usual for me, July and August are tough, October-April/May are the best.

Message 34 of 72
latest reply

USPS is killing media mail items.  So CDs, Books, Vinyl, DVDs all struggling.  The last three items I’ve bought have either been lost or took 4-6 weeks to arrive.  

Wont be buying anything else until it straightens out.  

Message 35 of 72
latest reply

Yes they have for me. I feel like ebay has an on/off switch sometimes. Ill have a week of 20-30 sales A DAY every day, then sudenly nothing. No impressions, no sales, nothimg. I understand we are in a global pandemic, but how are the changes in sales so drastic so quicky...so often! Im always checking the boards for glitches because my brain just cant figure it out

Message 36 of 72
latest reply

I've heard several buyers on here say that ever since they switched their sales have started to slide. It could be a glitched within the system.  I mean, such a major change to the platform is bound to cause some problems.

Personally, I was just switched over today and so far so good, but I can see how it could cause issues.

One common thing I'm seeing is people saying ever since their switch to MP promoted listing sales have fallen off a cliff and this would definitely hurt your sales if suddenly something with MP was causing problems with promoted listings.

Most of the items I sold over the weekend, including today after the switch, were from about a dozen "core" hot items I sell -- all of which I have promoted. Notably I checked under the new Payments tab and I noticed that I only have two fees taken for promoted listing sales, which is pretty low. Still, my core listings are still selling well... just not because they were promoted.

Message 37 of 72
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

@chapeau_noir -- The bike shops here are having trouble getting new stock, and and when I decided it was time to replace the bike that was stolen a few years back, they gave me a three month wait-- I'm 5'3" and need a low cross bar to boot so it will be a special order.

FWIW, I've been riding for almost 40 years and I've never, ever purchased new equipment save for the two bikes I had built when I raced for a team sponsored by a frame-builder - it was part of the team to race on their frames.   I always went through ads and looked for stuff.  So that's a thought if you haven't explored it. ETA: 5'3" isn't that short - a lot of hybrids with slightly dropped top tubes will fit fine and that's a popular frame style (and hybrids are pretty much 'go anywhere' bikes). I have a friend who is 4'11" and yeah, she needs some special mods.

As for the mention of second hand clothing with Covid, since I sell clothing I can say that I've had no mention or even concern about that brought up with customers - my problem has been actually FINDING good, salable inventory in styles that people want (there's loads of stuff around here but it's all fast fashion rubbish or outdated) - it's been selling fine.  I'm not sure people are that worried about physical objects carrying Covid (if it's been laundered and then through the postal system, I doubt it's got any infective properties anyway), but money is tight and it's a slow time of year.  In fact, I foresee sales of pre-owned clothing booming because it's cheaper.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 38 of 72
latest reply

There's scuttlebutt in DC about a 2nd stemulas happening soon   . Could be  buyers are putting their  spending on hold for the  time being .  Tulips 

Message 39 of 72
latest reply

4’11 is my daughter. And she has no problem finding decent bikes.

Part of it may be that I want a old lady bike. High handlebars and lots of baskets for the groceries

DDs partner is an ardent biker lm not sure how many he owns. 5 or 6 anyway. 

Im not sure about used clothing   I doubt high end goods would have as much of a problem as low end. I’m fascinated at how many sellers think Old Navy is a designer brand or even worth mentioning 

Message 40 of 72
latest reply

There's currently a problem with eBay's promoted listings system in some categories as of Thursday.

promotedlistings.png

This seems to be affecting certain categories. For example, Motors was being completed hit by this across the board last week. Over the weekend, it seems certain sellers have returned to normal. But the ones selling in the "Parts and Accessories" categories seem to be hit by this across the board right now.

I spoke to an eBay rep today about this, and they had said they highly doubt this is intentional, as losing promoted impressions hurts both sellers and eBay.

If anyone is experiencing this, I would ask that you please PM me with the category you sell in. I'm trying to collect as much information as I could and communicating it to eBay to try to get these problems resolved.

Thank you and good luck to all selling on here!

Message 41 of 72
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

4’11 is my daughter. And she has no problem finding decent bikes.

Part of it may be that I want a old lady bike. High handlebars and lots of baskets for the groceries

DDs partner is an ardent biker lm not sure how many he owns. 5 or 6 anyway. 

Im not sure about used clothing   I doubt high end goods would have as much of a problem as low end. I’m fascinated at how many sellers think Old Navy is a designer brand or even worth mentioning 

If one is relatively long-legged like most women it's not so bad - my short friend and I are not so - also, there's a greater range nowadays - back in the day she had to do some hunting.

Bikes are easy to modify - a friend of mine started riding again and wanted a very sit-up position - she switched out the handlebar stem to a tall one that sits high with touring handlebars.  Also, a new taller stem and higher bars also allows more room for a front basket. A rack on the back allows room for rear baskets.  You can get parts used on eBay (heh, I'm listing more but they aren't stems), etc. Your DD and her partner can give tips. I've set up a number of bikes for people who have various desires because I always had a pile o' parts around the house.  Round up a decent bike that fits and you can modify the rest.  When the DH and I married it was the marriage of two gearheads - OMG the boxes of parts we had!  I made a fortune selling them on eBay some years back.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 42 of 72
latest reply

In August my bookstore had more sales than my other three eBay accounts combined.   No bookstore sales for September yet.   On this account I have as many sales so far in September as I did for the entire month of August.  Traffic has been down for the past six weeks on all my accounts. 

I gave up trying to figure out eBay years ago.

Message 43 of 72
latest reply

Same for me. Same items, listed even more. Had very good april and may. Good June. Then it happened on july that 2 weeks only 5 sales. But July ended normally. August till 25 normally and then BAM.... Only 5 cheap items sold.
I have read that there is "hidden selling limit on Ebay". They especially occur after good months.  I have read some interesting thoughts why it is possible that it is true.
One of them that if ebay would be as all normal free markets - buyer would come and buy cheapest item, with free returns, from Top rated seller, and fastest coming. So all other sellers who sell for example a bit more expensive they won't sell anything

Message 44 of 72
latest reply

"Hidden limits" if they exist at all may be true for commodities sellers who sell the same stuff you can get anywhere, drop ship from Amazon, etc., but as a OOAK seller I've never experienced hidden limits, and I've gone from a few hundred a month to 5k a month - it's all come down to what I find, its quality, how many hours I'm willing to put in, using my smarts, etc., seasonality and the like. 

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 45 of 72
latest reply