cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone in the history ever have a buyer accept a second chance offer?

20% non paying bidder rate here.. even when the bids are placed in the final seconds i have never had anyone accept  a second chance offer.. anyone have any insight on this?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

The only time I ever made a second chance offer it was where I had multiples of the same item/s.

The winning bidder paid and I made second chance offer to the 3 lower bidders and all were accepted.

They were happy, I was happy.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I don't do second chance for 2 reasons,

1- The buyer may think I have other people bidding up the item.

2- It's no better than sending offers, most buyers don't respond.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

As a buyer I have accepted 2nd chance offers. As a seller I think I've had a few accepted. None of this is recent, perhaps a decade or more ago. If I have a NPB I generally just block them and relist.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

It's rare but I don't do auctions anymore. You can try if the difference is not that much. Or you can tell the buyer that you will refund X dollars back to them.   X would depend on  how much the item sold for.  Before you ask them,  look at their feedback and feedback LEFT for others and where they are located.   Make sure that you want to sell to them.

Remember, since you can't edit the 2nd chance offer, that is why you can tell them that you are willing to knock off a few dollars and you will do the refund after they pay since Ebay will not let you edit the price or the shipping.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@standardrecovery100 wrote:

20% non paying bidder rate here.. even when the bids are placed in the final seconds i have never had anyone accept  a second chance offer.. anyone have any insight on this?

I would say it depends a lot on what you're selling. If it's commonly available elsewhere, those who lose the bidding for yours may quickly move on to another auction. If it's rare, someone who thought he'd lost your auction may welcome a second chance at it. 

My batting average for accepted SCO sales is probably around .500 or so. I sell vintage items and rarely have nonpayers on my auctions (most of my listings are BIN/IPR now, but I still run auctions for the rare items), but I sometimes have duplicate or second examples available that are comparable to the first.

If the bidding goes a lot higher than I anticipated for the first one, I'll take advantage of that to strike while the iron is hot, and see if the second-place guy is interested in paying his offered bid to make another sale. They will occasionally ask to see photos of the actual SCO item that I'm offering, if it's a second example of something already sold, so I will be ready to send photos if asked.

As I said, I think this works about half the time for me, and I usually see results pretty quick either way. Once the SCO has been sent, I'll watch the view counter for the offer, and as soon as it moves off of zero, I'll know the offer was received and viewed. A purchase or other message will usually follow soon after.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I stopped offering second chance bidders,  because about a year ago one of the second chance bidders accused me of shill bidding which was not even remotely true at all . I could see the second chance bidder point of view thinking this, because if it were me I might think the same thing. 

I believe before this complaint ,I offered 2nd chance buyers maybe  15-20 times because of non paying winning bidder and 1 was accepted.  Now I just wait the required time per eBay and if not paid by then I block  non paying bidder , submit a non paying bidder to eBay so they get a strike and relist .  

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Yes, I have had buyers accept a second chance offers over the years. As a buyer myself I have also accepted second chance offers if I still wanted the item. Nothing ventured, nothing gained....

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Just had a buyer outbid a sale of $1300 with $1325. When I asked the buyer to pay because I could mail it out in advance of holiday closures, they said they were paying and then I heard crickets. I contacted them again and it turned out they hadn’t made a purchase on eBay since they started collecting taxes and they didn’t want to pay the extra $200. We agreed to cancel the order and I sent a second chance to the $1300 bidder. They accepted and paid within twenty minutes and I posted it within a couple of hours. Sounds like this might be a unicorn but I’m grateful to not have to relist.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

As a buyer:  I have accepted a second chance offer and then she asked if I was interested in another items and change the price of that item and I purchased both.

( They were a very different type of sewing machine feet and I was hoping to get all 3 styles )

Message 10 of 10
latest reply