cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone gotten a request to send a buyer offers even though having "best offer" option on listing

Has anyone gotten a request to send a buyer offers even though having "best offer" option on listings already?      Here is what the buyer asked me  "Can you sell it to me for $45?  If you agree to my offer, please send me the offer.
Because I am unable to send you an offer.

I then replied "Why is it that you can't send me best offers ?"    I have not heard back from the buyer as to why.     They have 3 positive feedbacks for the last month and have been a member since 2-2023.  I am not feeling comfortable with this situation and wondering if I should block this buyer?  

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Has anyone gotten a request to send a buyer offers even though having "best offer" option on listing

And my point is that most of the time it's not about the change (if they say they "can't send offers", vs some other problem). That's usually a scammer's line, not an honestly confused buyer.  I'll take my risk of not making one particular sale if it comes to that.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 11 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Probably the beginning of a scam.  I'd ignore. Just because they've been around a while doesn't mean their account hasn't been hijacked.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Maybe buyer is blocked from sending offers because they don't want to put up a 'pre' payment? (do you have this requirement chosen, or ebay has automated all to do or just this buyer?) 

Maybe buyer is blocked because you have them blocked in preferences (2 no pays in 12 months)

Maybe buyer is blocked because they are in country you don't ship to? 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Given the latest ebay "improvements" to offers I wouldn't go there right away.

It's more likely that the buyer doesn't want to use the prepayment info route because they want to be able to use payment options that doesn't give them (like using their spendable funds, or PayPal Credit for example).

I've actually done the same thing on an ID that's been dumped into it.

But hey you want to knee jerk and lose a valid sale, go for it.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I had similar situation recently. I sent offer and I guess it expired.

The potential buyer contacted me asking if I would send offer again. I actually refused because there were now 6 watchers on the buy now / best offer listing. 

here is the kicker: they then offered more than the buy it now price. I asked why they would offer more than the buy now price. Just buy it. No response. 

I added to block list. 

Note: I don't believe that any of my listings have the pre-payments requirements. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

From what I've read lately, it doesn't even matter if the seller has it turned off.

If the buyer has been dumped into it, that's it, game over.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

"Why is it that you can't send me best offers ?"

@moderf 

Your listings require a buyer to submit a payment source in order to make an offer.   This is one of the settings eBay placed on your account with the default set to YES.  

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Buyer Payment Requirements

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

This setting limits the choices a buyer can use to pay.  No Google Pay, Apple Pay, Spendable Funds, PayPal Credit, PayPal Pay in 4, etc.  It also charges the buyer immediately so there is no option to combine items for one shipping cost/invoice.   All items would be auto-billed and paid for separately. Needless to say, it was not a popular "enhancement" for buyers or sellers, and likely turned away many users. 

Up until recently, if YOU sent an offer, the buyer would not be restricted by the limitations you require.  Be advised, however, that is changing as well so all seller generated offers will be immediate payment required, with no combined shipping option for multiple sales.  This is still rolling out, and was mentioned in the new seller update thread here:  

https://community.ebay.com/t5/2024-Winter-Seller-Update/Reduce-unpaid-items-when-sending-offers-to-b...

So at this point, you can only try the "reply with offer" and see if your account is now "enrolled in the new experience", or simply change the buyer preference to NO, and invite the buyer to try again.  

Good luck. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

here is the kicker: they then offered more than the buy it now price.

@sextons-sweet-deals 

Yes, offering MORE than the BIN amount on a fixed price listing via messages is a red flag.  Typically, used by the "text me" scammers who intend to proceed with their usual scam, it is indeed something for which one should be wary.  

Thanks for pointing that out! 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

At this point, I'd rather lose a sale than play into someone's game.  There's plenty of other buyers.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Did you not read what I typed?

It may not be a "game" but a reaction to this new prepayment "improvement'.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

And my point is that most of the time it's not about the change (if they say they "can't send offers", vs some other problem). That's usually a scammer's line, not an honestly confused buyer.  I'll take my risk of not making one particular sale if it comes to that.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@moderf 
Here's my response and it darn near ALWAYS works.
 "I just revised the listing and adjusted the price to $45 for you. Thanks!"

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I've done the exact same thing. And when they didn't purchase the item within a reasonable time, I bumped the price back up and sold it to someone else at the original price. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply