cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half.com will be closing on August 31, 2017

Wow - what's up with this -email in the in box - guess the venue for books and audio media will soon disappear!  Here's the letter:

This letter is to inform you that Half.com will be closing on August 31, 2017, and you will not be able to sell on the platform following that date. Returns will continue to be processed until October 31, 2017.

We would like to thank you for your support of Half.com – some of you have been with us since we launched in 1999. We have enjoyed being part of your selling journey and wish you ongoing success. For all of your future marketplace needs, visit the eBay Seller Center to learn how to grow your business on eBay.

Now what for the books????? The "River"

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Half.com will be closing on August 31, 2017

Mail.com is a better option if you simply want an email address...........

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

@timemachine777 wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:
I'm surprised it's lasted this long given the neglect by eBay

I never used it myself but from what I gathered from others, was that they liked it better than eBay, and Amazon, until eBay jacked the fees way up.

Well half WAS free to list

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

Not to mention mining user emails

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

IBeing the proud owner of about 50 collector identification/pricing books, almost all of them have come from Half through the years. 

I think one of the things that hurt Half was not being able to use PayPal for so long.  That never did make sense being an eBay-owned company.

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 19 of 24
latest reply

Please, it was the 'Donahoe Death Kiss', everything Donahoe touches is bound to die in the end, look at what eBay has become due to his polices.

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

@cal_w62 wrote:

Please, it was the 'Donahoe Death Kiss', everything Donahoe touches is bound to die in the end, look at what eBay has become due to his polices.

I didn't say it was the definitive reason - just that I think it was one of the reasons that hurt it.

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 21 of 24
latest reply

@cal_w62 wrote:

Mail.com is a better option if you simply want an email address...........

I end up just putting the emails I need in a temp folder and let the junk build up before either closing the account or purging all the emails. I'll check them out.

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:

@timemachine777 wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:
I'm surprised it's lasted this long given the neglect by eBay

I never used it myself but from what I gathered from others, was that they liked it better than eBay, and Amazon, until eBay jacked the fees way up.

Well half WAS free to list

They made that up some with a 15% commission, before the ramp up to 25%.

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

Well I'm definitely going to miss it. Got the best deals on CDs, DVD/Blu-Ray, and books for about a decade. Better than Amazon and Ebay. Shipping was $1.00 less than Amazon, which came in handy at times. Sometimes had stuff that others didn't have, often at a much better price. Just went to look for a cd on Ebay, and of course Ebay had the price jacked up. Ebay often offers free shipping though, so hopefully the final prices will somewhat even out to the deals I often got on half.com

Message 24 of 24
latest reply