cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP ALL MY LISTINGS WERE REMOVED “Offensive material policy”

did anyone else receive an email today saying listings are removed because of  offensive material policy. I’m freaking out because I had 1800 items and everything was removed but 1. I have no idea what is going on because I only sell Vintage collectibles and clothing!!!  Nothing offensive!! Hope someone can tell me what is going on!!

Message 1 of 93
latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

Re: HELP ALL MY LISTINGS WERE REMOVED “Offensive material policy”

This is crazy. Items that were previously okay to list get all of a seller's listings taken down. A warning email stating the new policy (which is too vague to be of any use) and taking down only the "offending" listings would have been appropriate.

I had something similar happen a couple of years ago. I had an anti-Hitler postcard from the 1930s taken down. I was very careful before I listed it to make sure it ticked all of the points for being acceptable to list. Then after the Charlottesville protest, eBay took down everything even remotely related to Hitler/Nazis. I posted the requirements for being able to list in that category and asked what requirement my item didn't meet. I was essentially by the ebay employee told that times had changed.
Message 61 of 93
latest reply

I had one item removed yesterday, as well.  It was a historical 1970s era button that had nothing but text on it and read Chicago Black Fund I GAVE. 

This was an equal rights organization in Chicago and this button was given out after a donation was made to the fund.

In zero way is this racist.  It supported EQUAL RIGHTS! 

EQUAL RIGHTS, EBAY!!!!

Message 62 of 93
latest reply

brian@ebay  Again, the people doing these takedowns need more education!!!

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 63 of 93
latest reply

If so, are we also at risk of sanctions for listing other ethnic or races of dolls as well for example Native American?  Or does this only apply to one group?

I'm afraid that I'm confused and am asking for some direction and clarification as to this situation.

Very good question. I doubt you will be offered any "clarification" here.  Though ebay can indeed remove anything they like, I was wondering if dolls from Jamaica or Africa would be removed as well simply because they are "black" or the sanction is just limited to American dolls. 

Might be a good question to offer in today's weekly chat, though I have a feeling you would just be directed to CUSTOMER SERVICE. 

Message 64 of 93
latest reply

Speaking of crazy . . . years ago we had a rare cone top beer can for sale. Empty can. We listed it and described it as empty. It was taken down. Can't recall the exact wording of the takedown but it was due to the possibility that the can might have product in it. We relisted it and made it VERY clear that the can was empty. But it was taken down again as they wanted to see somehow that it was empty. I think it was taken down four times in the course of our trying to prove it was empty until finally I photographed the can upsidedown with a thin stick inside of it so that it was suspended in the air upsidedown to prove it was empty. We listed it shown that way until it finally sold.

Message 65 of 93
latest reply

This problem might be a special case. Post #38 almost implies that there is a history of violations with some sellers and that this is a wholesale solution to an ongoing problem that we aren't aware of.  The OP's completed listing numbers do not agree in any way with the number of removed listings that they quoted in their post. This might be an escalating sanction for a repeat offender. We don't have enough information to understand or try to help in this situation. I don't want any bugs in my mailbox, so, I won't address anything I am not 100% sure of.

Message 66 of 93
latest reply

. . . years ago we had a rare cone top beer can for sale. Empty can. We listed it and described it as empty. It was taken down.

Do a search for "Firecracker Label".  No need to go to the local tent when you can buy it all on ebay.

Message 67 of 93
latest reply

Might be the jocko monkey figure

Message 68 of 93
latest reply

Lesson I learned today: As sellers we should not list in “Black Americana” category. Find another ebay category to list the item.
Message 69 of 93
latest reply

@okidenny wrote:

Lesson I learned today: As sellers we should not list in “Black Americana” category. Find another ebay category to list the item.”

Too risky. It is a violation to post an item in the wrong category. It is a violation to suggest to another member how to “get around“ a current rule. Multiple eBay takedowns of the same item can get that seller multiple escalating punishments for relisting said item and flouting the rules. All in all, just not a good idea.

Message 70 of 93
latest reply

Can't wait until they GLITCH on our checking accounts 

Message 71 of 93
latest reply

@dtexley3

It's because eBay outsources to other countries, mostly India, for cheap labor and they gave them blanket instructions which those people because they don't understand cultural nuances of America just took down anything close.

eBay sent out a message about this -- two days AFTER the purge -- basically saying "we know this was totally out of the blue and we gave you no warning and it's tough, but, you know... "

Message 72 of 93
latest reply

This.

Message 73 of 93
latest reply

cannot reach them by phone, 2 days , never happened before

maybe too many black americana calls

Message 74 of 93
latest reply