cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay making an additional 12.35% off of sales tax should be illegal

What I want to know as an eBay seller is, how is it legal that not only does eBay make 12.35% off of the item sale itself, but they also get an additional 12.35% from the sales tax?  Making a percentage off of sales tax should be something that is against the law and we as sellers need to make eBay reverse this craziness. First of all it makes it nearly impossible to check all of their accounting as we all know eBay makes tons of mistakes on charging fees. This is wrong and immoral. 

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Would you rather ebay didn't charge the FVF on the tax but then you would have to keep track of and file tax returns quarterly with 39 states and DC?  I didn't think so.  Ebay has significant costs in dealing with the new tax laws and it seems only fair that ebay should be compensated in some way for that extra work.

Ebay picked that 12.35% number on the total the buyer pays as it comes out most nearly equal to the 10% + 2.9% we used to pay under paypal.   BTW, paypal charged 2.9% on the tax paid.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Would you rather ebay didn't charge the FVF on the tax but then you would have to keep track of and file tax returns quarterly with 39 states and DC?  I didn't think so.  Ebay has significant costs in dealing with the new tax laws and it seems only fair that ebay should be compensated in some way for that extra work.

Ebay picked that 12.35% number on the total the buyer pays as it comes out most nearly equal to the 10% + 2.9% we used to pay under paypal.   BTW, paypal charged 2.9% on the tax paid.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

This is not illegal. eBay fees are based on the TOTAL  payment the buyer makes. If they have to take the buyer's money and send it to the buyer's state that's part of processing the payment.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply