cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP ALL MY LISTINGS WERE REMOVED “Offensive material policy”

did anyone else receive an email today saying listings are removed because of  offensive material policy. I’m freaking out because I had 1800 items and everything was removed but 1. I have no idea what is going on because I only sell Vintage collectibles and clothing!!!  Nothing offensive!! Hope someone can tell me what is going on!!

Message 1 of 93
latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

Re: HELP ALL MY LISTINGS WERE REMOVED “Offensive material policy”

It would appear that eBay like other corporations and many politicians choose to bend with the winds of political correctness.  Of course, to those that are so inclined, it may seem to be a victory for their cause.  Alas!  Those that bow to the will of the mob are often just as soon to change as the direction of that wind.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 46 of 93
latest reply

You've got to be kidding! Why would ebay delete all their listings because ebay changed their rules overnight? This makes no logical sense at all.

I guess considering the bloody pig masks and death threats your executives sent to that blogger would probably answer that question.

Normal people do not act like this. Someone at ebay is clearly doing too many drugs. This platform needs to kick out all the meth addicts they have running the show.

Message 47 of 93
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

@gwzcomps wrote:
I thought I would try being positive for a change 🙃

"On a positive note we have 50K free listings right now for store subscribers."

Well, great. I'm in Nashville, and was just about to list 12K each... Dixie Chicks, Confederate Railroad and Lady Antebellum CDs, plus 2K Kid Rock posters. Dang!

@gwzcomps, @bbravo65 ... LOL

I just sell electronics so I have no clue what is offensive or hateful when it comes to products lol.  I find it hateful and offensive China is allowed to sell knock off computer parts that make fraudulent claims, cause harm, or damage items.  Wonder what it would take to get said items banned 😛

Message 48 of 93
latest reply

We were fortunate in that we had only 2 listings taken down. One was a Martin Luther King Christian Leadership Locket. How anyone finds anything offensive in that is a mystery to me! The other listing was a black doll made in the 19th century by a well known doll maker. It is not a caricature. It is a well known type of doll that is often sold in doll auctions. It is quite a nice doll. It is not offensive. Not remotely. Nor was it described in any offensive manner. Neither of our items were described in an offensive manner. Apparently our items were caught up in a purge. I have read the "new policy" which was included in the messages that we received. Nothing about our listings violated anything in that policy. Nothing!

Message 49 of 93
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@redvelvet15 wrote:
I sell clothing and vintage collectibles nothing offensive!

Like @tonto1117  ,you also had a lawn jockey item.

Or maybe the Ike and Sandy collection had too much watermelon in it? Who knows what offends anybody anymore.

That's the listing I was about to mention ... that is clearly racial stereotyping.

But, why in the world would eBay remove all 1900  of this seller's listings because of this one offensive listing????  I get that eBay might not want to pour through 1900 listings, but there has to be somewhat of a balance like ONLY removing all the black Americana listings.

Sorry eBay ... but seems unfairly punitive.

Message 50 of 93
latest reply

@imajgin They took down an MLK item!? You know, if it's true that it's not bots but humans doing this I'd almost prefer the bots. The eBay employees doing this are clearly complete morons.

Of course, I don't believe that. There's no way they have the people power to be doing this many manual review take downs and if they do, they should be putting it towards more important purposes: like doing something about scammer buyers!

Message 51 of 93
latest reply

Good Evening Trinton,

Post 49 notes she(he) had a listing for a particularly fine example of a J J Beecher doll taken down as violation of the new policy.

So my question is, in general, are we no longer allowed to list antique or collectible/vintage Black dolls?  

If so, are we also at risk of sanctions for listing other ethnic or races of dolls as well for example Native American?  Or does this only apply to one group?

I'm afraid that I'm confused and am asking for some direction and clarification as to this situation.

Message 52 of 93
latest reply

Who decides what items are offensive?

Myself, I find the Blue Lives Murder items offensive.

Will these items be pulled also?

Have a great day
Message 53 of 93
latest reply

Yes!!! An MLK Christian Leadership Conference Locket! Since they only took down 2 listings, it seems clear to me that if it was a human doing the takedowns, they should have had time to see what the title said! Both of the listings taken down were listed in the Black Americana category. And btw, there are plenty of black dolls that remain up that could be considered as caricatures or stereotypes. Which our doll was NOT!
Message 54 of 93
latest reply

I too would like some clarification.

I would like to know why our MLK Christian Leadership Conference Locket was taken down while someone's token advertising a Picaninny Barbecue is up for sale? How does that make sense?

Message 55 of 93
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@ittybitnot wrote:

WHY remove ALL their listings if only SOME (or ONE) are deemed offensive?

Indeed.   Sort of like trying to kill a mosquito with a hand grenade.  Likely a function of poor tech, or ebay will gain monetarily from this approach. 

Hi @ittybitnot, while I won't be able to discuss the OP's situation, I can confirm that these reviews and the action taken is done by a human being, so poor tech wouldn't be a factor. Sometimes mistakes may be made, but I've had this situation reviewed and can confirm the correct action was taken. When we have concerns with a significant number of violations, when a violation is considered quite serious, or when the number of listings that need to be individually reviewed is unfeasible (bearing in mind that we must address an incredibly large number of potential violations each day), we will end the listings and educate the seller as to why so they can review and relist those that are not considered violations. 

As for financial gain, I'm sure you can understand that we only make money when our sellers make money - while taking action on potentially harmful content on our marketplace protects our brand and ensures a healthy platform for our buyers and sellers, ending a listing does not directly produce monetary gain. Fees are credited where appropriate, time is taken to review the listings and provide education to the seller, and additional time may be needed if the seller contacts us with additional questions. 

While ending listings may seem like an overreaction in some instances, I do want to clarify that a) the listings are not removed from the site entirely in these situations, but instead ended so the seller can review and relist and b) a seller who has violated one of our site policies is responsible for addressing their inventory so there are further concerns moving forward. While there are times where only a small number of listings are removed and sellers are expected to review their remaining listings to make appropriate changes, this unfortunately does not always lead to changes being made promptly, and if a seller misses something in their review by mistake, they would still face more severe consequences for repeated violations. These are risks we can avoid by by taking more widespread action, as this removes any potential violations and also helps to minimize the chances of further restrictions or the loss of eBay privileges for sellers who didn't make all of the necessary changes to live listings.

IMO eBay owes it's seller's a modicum of respect to at the very least issue those said sellers a 24 or 48 hour advance warning notice of a forthcoming listing/listings takedown that they have now determined to have violated either an existing policy or one of these new unannounced eBay policy additions.

This is just a common courtesy that I would expect from anyone of my long standing business partners.

Message 56 of 93
latest reply

@imajgin wrote:

I too would like some clarification.

I would like to know why our MLK Christian Leadership Conference Locket was taken down while someone's token advertising a Picaninny Barbecue is up for sale? How does that make sense?

brian@ebay we have been told these are being reviewed by staff.  Looks like some of the staff need more education on what qualifies as offensive racist items.

I also find it reprehensible that eBay started enforcing this policy hours before announcing it.  This should have been published in multiple locations for several days BEFORE taking down listings.  

Once again eBay shows its lack of respect for the sellers that put hundreds of hours into listings only to have eBay change the rules in the middle of the night and take down hundreds of listings that DON'T break the "new" secret rules or policy.  (Until they are published they are secret.)

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 57 of 93
latest reply

rebecca@ebay

The NEW 

Offensive Materials Policy Update as of 06-17-2020

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Offensive-Materials-Policy-Update/m-p/31015263#M1609128 

rebecca@ebay

Well that announcement is a day late and a dollar short. You probably owe the seller's whose accounts that you wreaked today and apology and a 100% commitment by you and eBay to expend your time helping reinstate these seller's listings. 

Message 58 of 93
latest reply

So sorry to hear this happened to you. Others feel your pain.  Good luck and hang in there!

Message 59 of 93
latest reply

@redvelvet15  Wondering if you had any luck? I'm also "waiting" to hear back from someone, but essentially dead in the water. 

Message 60 of 93
latest reply