cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a warning from eBay

Got this warning because a scammer attempted to trick me and I just said "no". eBay automated system sucks.

Hello icyrainz-5,

We’re writing to let you know that activity on your account may not be following an important eBay policy that requires all transactions and payments to be completed through eBay. The same policy specifies that eBay member-to-member messages may not be used to share contact information.

For example(s), review your listing and member messages regarding the following:
322515360019 - Apple MacBook Pro A1278 13.3" Mid 2009

There’s a very good reason for this policy. Only transactions conducted through eBay can be covered by eBay Seller Protections—programs that help ensure sellers can conduct business on eBay with confidence.  Also, eBay has invested a great amount to bring you buyers, and we want to continue to partner with you in the fulfillment of transactions with them.

Even if a buyer requests to work with you directly, it’s important to use the methods eBay provides to personalize a transaction. For example, you can make a private offer to your buyer. You can also set up your listings to invite best offers.

We understand that you might not have known about our rules that don’t allow sharing contact information in messages or making an offer to sell outside of eBay. We encourage you to review the details of the policy to understand what you can and can’t do.  At this time, no further action is being taken on your account; we want to educate you on the policy.  Make sure you follow these guidelines. If you don't, you may be subject to a range of actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges, application of fees, suspension of your account(s), and restrictions on listing search page exposure and account features.

So, in the future, I should not reply to any of these messages, right? If they ban my account due to scammer's messages that's RIDDICULOUS. 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Got a warning from eBay

What did you reply? 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

If someone contacts you asking for your email or a PP invoice, I would not answer and block IF I was selling a Mac book.

Usually the warning is when *attempting* to send a message and it is blocked. Sometimes crazy nonsense reasons when the message is perfectly fine.

More details would help.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

ebay propoganda displayed when attempting to reply with just a "no" may be the LEAST of your problems.

You're listing a 2009 Macbook with an opening bid of $0.99, auction listing, with expedited shipping.  Might as well paint a giant neon target sign on your back, "scammers welcome here".  That's not meant to be disparaging or anything like that.  Just trying to be truthful.

You may very well be busy answering just "no" a whole lot.  And, still, in the end, almost assuredly, one of these "scammers" is gonna swoop in last second and still end up winning your item.  Sure.  You can block the user ID that sent the email, but that's just one ID.  And, that's just the beginning.  

Electronics are like chum to sharks.  If I might suggest, relist your item with a local pick up only delivery option, cash in hand only.  You can check up on the benefits of doing that, and see if that meets your needs.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

What did you reply? 

Just "no".

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I got a similar message. A member sent me a note asking to buy my hats wholesale and he included his email address. He did not actually ask to do the sale off of eBay but clearly that was his intent. First, I was surprised to see his email. eBay has filters that supposedly prevent you from sending an email address.

Nonetheless, I replied We don’t do wholesale. Never heard from him again.

Then I get the note from ebay. So I called customer service and bent their ear - loudly. Why am I getting a warning - HE was the one breaking the rules.

They apologized profusely and admitted that it was an automated email sent to BOTH PARTIES whenever even only one party infringes on the rules. They assured me that there was no black mark on my account because they could see that I handled it correctly. They also admitted that they should probably reconsider the wording (fat chance).

What, if anything, they did to the other guy is unknown.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

You replied with a "no". That's enough to set off the bots. You don't have to reply to any messages period.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

There’s a very good reason for this policy. Only transactions conducted through eBay can be covered by eBay Seller Protectionsprograms that help ensure sellers can conduct business on eBay with confidence. 

Now that's just sadly amusing.

wolfbyte
Guide

Sounds like a repremand for no good reason.

Last week, I received a "question" from a a guy from Pakistan via Messages wanting to sell me items outside of eBay. I reponded briefly, sharply telling him that what he was doing was strickly against eBay policy (which I'm certain he knew based on how he conveyed his contact info) and blocked him. I received no warning from eBay.

Tried to report this "seller" by following eBay's instructions, but actually ran into a road block as there was no option to click on that addressed someone trying to sell outside of eBay! I've got to belive this happens quite frequently so why no button to click on? I had no where to go with my report so I just moved on. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

wolfbyte
Guide
Did you block this person? Perhaps that is why, in my case, I did not receive the automated warning as I immediately blocked the guy who contacted me.
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

They apologized profusely and admitted that it was an automated email sent to BOTH PARTIES whenever even only one party infringes on the rules.

And if you believe that both parties thing...

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@icyrainz-5 wrote:

Got this warning because a scammer attempted to trick me and I just said "no". eBay automated system sucks.

Hello icyrainz-5,

We’re writing to let you know that activity on your account may not be following an important eBay policy that requires all transactions and payments to be completed through eBay. The same policy specifies that eBay member-to-member messages may not be used to share contact information.

For example(s), review your listing and member messages regarding the following:
322515360019 - Apple MacBook Pro A1278 13.3" Mid 2009

There’s a very good reason for this policy. Only transactions conducted through eBay can be covered by eBay Seller Protections—programs that help ensure sellers can conduct business on eBay with confidence.  Also, eBay has invested a great amount to bring you buyers, and we want to continue to partner with you in the fulfillment of transactions with them.

Even if a buyer requests to work with you directly, it’s important to use the methods eBay provides to personalize a transaction. For example, you can make a private offer to your buyer. You can also set up your listings to invite best offers.

We understand that you might not have known about our rules that don’t allow sharing contact information in messages or making an offer to sell outside of eBay. We encourage you to review the details of the policy to understand what you can and can’t do.  At this time, no further action is being taken on your account; we want to educate you on the policy.  Make sure you follow these guidelines. If you don't, you may be subject to a range of actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges, application of fees, suspension of your account(s), and restrictions on listing search page exposure and account features.

So, in the future, I should not reply to any of these messages, right? If they ban my account due to scammer's messages that's RIDDICULOUS. 

Received this warning also but not offended because I never want to do anything outside of eBay...it's our protection blanket and I welcome this.  Alot of scammers which lure seller's unaware...so just stay in the boundries and you'll be just fine.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I think there used to be a report button on messages but that went away.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply