cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Til Cancelled HUGE Negative Effect

Sales off, period and not a little but A LOT!  ebay can make up any stupid reason why "they" determined it best for me to have GTC listings rather than my 5 day Buy It Now listings, but they are wrong.  I have been selling here for over 20 years and have fine tuned my selling practices.  The silver bullet for me WAS a 5 day Buy It Now with immediate payment required.  This gave me a NEWLY LISTED boost along with an ENDING SOON boost all within a 5 day rotation with guaranteed received payment. 

GTC is useless to me.  It gives buyers no urgency to make a purchase if they do not see that the listing has an end date.  I tried a few 5 day auctions and guess what - I had no pays, had to wait to get my final value fee back and wasted a listing.  I do not have extra time to HOPE buyers will pay and that is why I only used the Buy It Now 5 day w/ immediate payment.   With that scenario I could ship right away because everything was paid for right away.  A win win for me, ebay and the buyer.  A fast sale with fast delivery to the buyer and fast income to me and ebay.

Is there a flaw in that model?

Auctions may work for high volume sellers that do this for a living with nickel and dime items from god knows where, but not for me.  I will continue to use my 50 free listings and that will be it.  I have scaled way back my personal hunt for specialty, hard to find items that I sold here which will only hurt ebay in the long run. Buyers will loose interest in ebay if the only things they can find here are dollar store items or Wally World items that they can get right down the street.

Wonder who the rocket scientist was with a 50 cent degree that came up with this lame decision?

Dumb move ebay.

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Good Til Cancelled HUGE Negative Effect

It still shows an end date.  It will “end” in 30 days and then automatically relist. So it will be at ending soonest search near as they get near 30 days 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 2 of 45
latest reply

With so many asking the same question as yourself and experiencing the same results, I question if that degree cost 50 cents.... Maybe no degree at all..... 

I have never seen a business **bleep** of there customer base such as this site... NEVER.... Yet they choose not to listen and that seems par for the course.

No doubt a head scratcher.....

Message 3 of 45
latest reply

As a buyer I can definitely see the benefit of good til cancelled for a seller.   I keep things in my watch list until I can afford them.  Often times that is over 30 days.  And often times when it’s not a good til cancelled listing I forget to go through my ended stuff to check for items relisted.  Sometimes I’ll go check and see it was relisted but the seller gave up eventually when it didn’t sell and I missed the relists because I didn’t check my ended listings in my watch list.  But with good til cancelled it never leaves me watch list on the listed stuff so I’m more likely to remember it and buy it 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 4 of 45
latest reply

The listing does NOT show an end date!  It says good till sold or cancelled.  This brilliant move by eBay has removed any sense of urgency for buyers.  For the first time since 2005 I have had ZERO sales in the past two weeks.  

Message 5 of 45
latest reply

There is no end or start date shown for GTC listings.  You must be looking at your own listings and be signed in to your account.  Even if it did show these,  what urgency to a buyer does a never ending listing have - none.  I also do not need someone to relist MY items automatically as I can do that myself when I think its best.  This way I can determine, or used to be able to determine the end date. 

Message 6 of 45
latest reply

Von - 

Question for you... Are you surprised that this has negatively impacted you? Seems like the prediction of thousands is coming true and from big and small sellers alike. At least that is what is being posted in this forum...

Again head scratcher - BRILLIANCE IN DISGUISE!

Message 7 of 45
latest reply

@vonandron wrote:

The listing does NOT show an end date!  It says good till sold or cancelled.  This brilliant move by eBay has removed any sense of urgency for buyers.  For the first time since 2005 I have had ZERO sales in the past two weeks.  

That’s what your listings show for you as a seller when looking at your listings.  All the items I have in my watch list show an end date and some are clearly good til cancelled because they’ve renewed on my watch list since I originally started watching   When I look at my own listings yes I see live til sold or cancelled but on the my watch list as a buyer all items showing times for ending 

Message 8 of 45
latest reply

Buy it now listings have never given me a sense of urgency to buy   Auctions have but not buy it now 

Message 9 of 45
latest reply

Other sites where listings are effectively GTC don't show ending dates, they're just "there".

The only difference is, they don't charge a listing fee every 30 days. But that affects sellers, not buyers.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 10 of 45
latest reply

@the_boatwiser wrote:

There is no end or start date shown for GTC listings.  You must be looking at your own listings and be signed in to your account.  Even if it did show these,  what urgency to a buyer does a never ending listing have - none.  I also do not need someone to relist MY items automatically as I can do that myself when I think its best.  This way I can determine, or used to be able to determine the end date. 

I've been selling and buying online since I was a baby, never gave any attention to urgency, I don't buy based on urgency, I buy what I want or need, sometimes based on scarcity but never because the item is ending soon.

Message 11 of 45
latest reply

@the_boatwiser 

When I add one of your items to my watch list it shows an end date. 

The truth has few friends but many enemies.
No one is perfect, though a mirror and the right clothes may make some think otherwise.
Message 12 of 45
latest reply

@the_boatwiser wrote:

There is no end or start date shown for GTC listings.

All the listings on my Watchlist, Wishlist, and the several other lists I've created all show an end date.

Message 13 of 45
latest reply

So a buyer needs to add the item to a wish/watch list to find out when it ends?  That's not very proactive if a buyer is surfing around having to add things to some list to find out when it ends.  The old Buy It Now listings had it right there for everyone to see without taking an additional step - seems ridiculous.

Message 14 of 45
latest reply

927C6583-9AC8-409D-9A70-74CA795B3920.png

Buy it now hasn’t shown the time ending on the listing itself in a while     If you search ending soonest the times show up in search 

Message 15 of 45
latest reply