cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Fed Up With eBay

Getting really tired of eBay and their policies and their way of doing business.  After being on here since 1998 I am close to being done.  And they couldn't care less. 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Getting Fed Up With eBay

You didn't provide any details so not sure what your particular frustration is but you are correct eBay doesn't care much about individual sellers they come and go every day. If you are just looking to vent please vent away maybe it will relieve some of your frustration. 

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@farmboy64 wrote:

Getting really tired of eBay and their policies and their way of doing business.  After being on here since 1998 I am close to being done.  And they couldn't care less. 

With 1.5 billion items listed from 20 million sellers, you are probably correct in assuming that eBay does not care if you leave. 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

After 26 years in the same job, most of us do get a bit stale, and many are planning to retire.

I'd suggest a planned retirement/ vacation.

Close down your listings. They will go to your Unsolds for 90 days and can be relisted at any time.

Check out some other sites.

Craigslist, etsy, FaceBookMarketplace, HIPstamp or other hobby specific site, Poshmark, AutoTrader, or even look around for a local auction house that likes working with pickers. 

You may find one you like.

You may decide it's time to spend more time with the grandchildren  or hunting moose.

And if you decide after a couple of months rest, that eBay is still in your blood, you can reopen those listings.

Was this a result of the neg you got recently? Your Response was appropriate- calm, professional and polite.
The only reason your FB rating dropped is that you are not a prolific seller, and those of us in that category can feel the pain from single neg that busy sellers never will.

At least eBay does not use FB to assess member accounts and most buyers think 95% is peachy -keen and an A+.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Understand completely - For us, the MBG left us fearful to list anything of value here and the sites quest for 30% to 40% of the items price in fees is beyond sickening. We felt it was becoming like navigating a minefield to list here and though we were doing well at the time with several accounts, we could see where this site was headed, so we finally said it just wasn't worth the angst and made plans to start fresh.

Take it from us, we could not have made better decisions for ourselves - I took a part-time job that I COULD NOT BE MORE HAPPY WITH, with a nice salary, full health insurance(we used to pay nearly $800 a month), 3 weeks paid vacation, a 401K that has grown to over 30K in 4 years, a pension buyout, and great people to work with. Believe me when I say, options abound out there - and since mail order online sales is getting absolutely disgusting with all the work, the venues & shippers jacking prices up or wanting undeserved cuts, buyer fraud seemingly out of control, etc, we decided to take our wares directly to buyers at events/shows and do our own weekend sales on a piece of property we own that brings buyers to us in droves(our advertising cost for our own sales is near $0 craigslist, FB, flyers) - We spent a lot of time and money accumulating the best stock we could get and people can see its not just a lawn sale or flea market and pay prices near what we can sell for here without having to spend the time listing/shipping and monitoring/maintaining an account... without some company dictating ridiculous terms and policies... without the risk of theft... without the 20% cut off the top of our item prices... etc - We end up keeping more in our pocket and we have created quite a customer email base for ourselves - We do this at our leisure with absolutely no stress. Its fun talking to the people buying from you, sharing stories and collections.

Change may hurt your pocketbook at first, so plan ahead, but man getting out of a bad situation is priceless...

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

You understand what exactly?  The OP hasn't told us why they feel the way they do??!?!?!

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Are you upset by the negative FB you received?  Honestly it won't hurt you.  It is annoying to be sure, but it won't hurt your account.

I can tell by your response you were upset by it, but the FB really didn't break any rules, which is why Ebay didn't remove it.  I know you had to close the listing because you needed to correct the description of what was actually being sold, you did the right thing.  But your buyer didn't like it that you cancelled it and they too had the right to feel that way.  One would think they would have been a bit more understanding about why you cancelled the transaction.  But not all buyers have that ability.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

OK - what is your specific issue or issues

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Thanks for letting us know.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Understand completely - For us, the MBG left us fearful to list anything of value here and the sites quest for 30% to 40% of the items price in fees is beyond sickening. We felt it was becoming like navigating a minefield to list here and though we were doing well at the time with several accounts, we could see where this site was headed, so we finally said it just wasn't worth the angst and made plans to start fresh.

Take it from us, we could not have made better decisions for ourselves - I took a part-time job that I COULD NOT BE MORE HAPPY WITH, with a nice salary, full health insurance(we used to pay nearly $800 a month), 3 weeks paid vacation, a 401K that has grown to over 30K in 4 years, a pension buyout, and great people to work with. Believe me when I say, options abound out there - and since mail order online sales is getting absolutely disgusting with all the work, the venues & shippers jacking prices up or wanting undeserved cuts, buyer fraud seemingly out of control, etc, we decided to take our wares directly to buyers at events/shows and do our own weekend sales on a piece of property we own that brings buyers to us in droves(our advertising cost for our own sales is near $0 craigslist, FB, flyers) - We spent a lot of time and money accumulating the best stock we could get and people can see its not just a lawn sale or flea market and pay prices near what we can sell for here without having to spend the time listing/shipping and monitoring/maintaining an account... without some company dictating ridiculous terms and policies... without the risk of theft... without the 20% cut off the top of our item prices... etc - We end up keeping more in our pocket and we have created quite a customer email base for ourselves - We do this at our leisure with absolutely no stress. Its fun talking to the people buying from you, sharing stories and collections.

Change may hurt your pocketbook at first, so plan ahead, but man getting out of a bad situation is priceless...

I could not agree more on the local venues and markets especially if you are in a large metropolitan area. I diversified long ago and eBay now only accounts for about 20% of my sales by volume. With the local venues I can adjust my pricing a bit since I am not paying the fees and the buyer is happy not to have to pay for shipping although I have shipped a few items on the local venues which has always worked out great. 

There are of course the scammers on the local venues as well but it is much easier to control your risk when it is 100% within your power to do so. I still list here but nothing like I used to. Some of that is by choice due to risk some of it was forced by eBay's ever expanding list of prohibited items and the VERO program. 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

You understand what exactly?  The OP hasn't told us why they feel the way they do??!?!?!

Ummmm... What the OP said???

"Getting really tired of eBay and their policies and their way of doing business"

Also offering our similar experiences and feelings in relation and sympathy??... Along with a story that gives someone hope to know that you CAN free yourself of a bad relationship???

Do you EVER read anything before you respond???

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@farmboy64  Well, the good news is, it is no longer 1998, it is 2024, and reselling opportunities abound, both online and in the B&M world. So, my suggestion: do whatever makes you happier and is profitable for you.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

I could not agree more on the local venues and markets especially if you are in a large metropolitan area. I diversified long ago and eBay now only accounts for about 20% of my sales by volume. With the local venues I can adjust my pricing a bit since I am not paying the fees and the buyer is happy not to have to pay for shipping although I have shipped a few items on the local venues which has always worked out great. 

There are of course the scammers on the local venues as well but it is much easier to control your risk when it is 100% within your power to do so. I still list here but nothing like I used to. Some of that is by choice due to risk some of it was forced by eBay's ever expanding list of prohibited items and the VERO program. 

"I still list here but nothing like I used to. Some of that is by choice due to risk some of it was forced by eBay's ever expanding list of prohibited items and the VERO program."

We took down our last few remaining listings that were the leftovers of leftovers about a year ago and havent listed anything yet - Not to say we wouldn't under the right circumstances, but I dont see them being right until the site makes changes to their policies - Specifically the MBG...

Here's our problem - We dont trust the site enough to list high/higher dollar items that are highly profitable, which in turn allow us to list lower dollar items that are too labor intensive to be profitable on their own. Left with our only choice of listing just lower dollar items, the fees, overhead and labor intensiveness of selling here is simply a waste of time.

Actually, we tend to sell our lower priced items directly to customers at higher prices than we could sell them here on ebay anyway, because the customer is right there with it in their hands and there is no competition - Try listing a Funko Pop on here for $10 to $15 with the 400 others listed just like it - The only way you'll sell it nowadays is to promote it at 10% to 15% and pay 2x the FVF in fees, because even if you list it at $5, no one buys it because all they are seeing is the higher priced ones being Promoted - We always did sold searches for our items we were surprised weren't selling only to find the same items sold at 50% to 100% higher priced than ours. The fees were already too high, so the last thing we were going to do is reward bad behavior by giving them more fees and add to the sites massive problem of inflated prices - End result... find a better way... Done... What we did was ADAPT as people on this forum so love to promote - We adapted right the he// outta here...

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

I assume their statement was rhetorical.  You didnt take it that way ? Like they were searching for some sort of reaffirmation ? Is that how you saw it ?

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

"Getting really tired of ebay"

"I am close to being done"

Just curious, what's stopping you from leaving?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 15 of 17
latest reply