cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funds on hold/refund request

I sold an item on Nov 29 in the pm. I mailed the next day PO USPS priority 2 day. It’s still not there and the buyer has requested a refund due to item not received. The expected delivery shown in tracking was today. This person has been contacting me daily asking

has it shipped 

what is the status 

they called the PO, etc 

Tracking just keeps stating on way to next facility. They even contacted eBay to see if they had more detailed tracking info “since they were a large shipper”.

I explained many times I don’t control the delivery from the PO. 
if I do issue a refund , who pays return shipping?

I have a stellar record and don’t want a ding due to someone out of my control. Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

The buyer opened an item not received case?

How many days do you have to respond?

If the item is in transit, I always wait as long as possible before I respond to the case with a refund. 

If you refund and then it arrives, you are out the money and the item, as the buyer would be under no obligation to return the item or pay for it. 

I'm guessing that the buyer is working the system trying to get free stuff. 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@zubby01 

You need to wait till the package been delivered, if he filed (item not received) case, go to his request and update the tracking number there as proof of delivery (after he received the package and tracking shows as delivery), ebay will close his request on your favor...

("Winter Is Coming")
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@zubby01 wrote:

I sold an item on Nov 29 in the pm. I mailed the next day PO USPS priority 2 day. It’s still not there and the buyer has requested a refund due to item not received. The expected delivery shown in tracking was today. This person has been contacting me daily asking

has it shipped 

what is the status 

they called the PO, etc 

Tracking just keeps stating on way to next facility. They even contacted eBay to see if they had more detailed tracking info “since they were a large shipper”.

I explained many times I don’t control the delivery from the PO. 
if I do issue a refund , who pays return shipping?

I have a stellar record and don’t want a ding due to someone out of my control. Any suggestions?

If the buyer has opened INR, respond to the case with the tracking number. As long as there has been movement, ebay should give extra time for the item to arrive.  You MUST respond with tracking by the date on the claim. 

After responding to the case, open a "find missing mail" request on USPS. I've found that once this is opened, tracking starts moving again.

https://www.usps.com/help/missing-mail.htm

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Absolutely do NOT refund that order while the package is in transit.  What would likely end up happening is you refund the buyer in full, then the package arrives and the buyer will ghost you.  You will not have any way to force them to return the item or repay you.

Because "they" said they called the PO and Ebay doesn't mean they did.  It sounds to me like they are trying to bully you into refunding them now.  Don't fall for it and NEVER allow someone to bully you.  

As to return shipping, that can't be answered yet as the buyer doesn't have the item, so they have nothing to return at this point.  Since you have a No Return policy and if they did want to return the package once it arrived, you need to require them to open a claim to return the item in Ebay.  Once that is done, you need to review the reason they use to return it.  That will determine who pays shipping.  If they file a Buyer's Remorse return, they pay shipping, that is if you want to accept it as with a No return policy, Ebay does not require you to take Buyer Remorse returns.  

But if they open the claim as not as described or arrived too late, then you will need to accept the return and pay for the return shipping.  But we can cross this issue if it comes up.  I honestly don't think this is what your buyer is after.

Go to the USPS website.  Call up the tracking number.  There is an option to sign up for email updates every time this package gets scanned.  Sign up for that.  That way you are emailed every time it moves.  And sometimes signing up for this update actually helps the package to start moving.

If your buyer is just being a pain, ask them to open a claim for Item Not Received.  If they do that, come on back and let us help you through it so you can get the best results possible.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

The mails are very slow right now for various reasons.  But the advice to get updates from USPS is a good one, it has worked for me.

We had a rock slide in my area (made the national news) that closed a main highway.  So the only way to get around it was 1. Take a ferry across a river and drive down to a bridge and cross over. 2. Drive a VERY dangerous road over the Coast range and down the other side.  3. Drive an alternate highway (also dangerous) that is 20 miles south to get to the east...hookup with Interstate 5.  Etc.  Not fun.

Situations like this, along with all the snow back east isn't helping the mails.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

This is extremely frustrating. I just got a text from the post office saying that my item just left my city. I dropped it off at the post office December 1. I know I’m going to get a bunch more questions from the buyer. I don’t know why it takes six days for a package to leave its origin.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

you said tracking showed movement?  check the dates on the email see IF it actually left on 12/6..12/1 or if it's just a "catch" up email to tell you what's happened so far.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Has anyone had a problem filing for a TRACE on a USPS package?  I sure have the past couple of months.  I go to try and set one up, it says that after a certain date I can file one.  I wait until that date passes and it still won't let me file the trace.  Any ideas??!!??

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Who knows w the PO. One said 

Departed USPS Facility 12/06/2022 8:32am 

the right after that I got;

Departed USPS Facility 12/06/2022 11:23

Message 10 of 10
latest reply