cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free returns...Item returned was filthy. Slow process but can be done.

I recently sold a top which was in Mint condition and a customer filed a return as "Item did not fit" . I accept all returns so when i received the top back it was in filthy condition. The collar was soiled and there were sweat marks all along the collar line. I gave her the refund and Im sure this happends to hundreds of sellers out there. Dont ignore it!! Call customer service and explain the situation so these buyers do not become "repeat offenders". If you do not make the phone call, customer service would have no idea of the situation.  I heard the rep typing as i was speaking and these calls are being monitored ,so big or small, if this happends to you, just put a call in and not ignore it. Even if you feel Ebay will only side with the buyer, the notes are being taken so maybe in the long run, it will become less of an issue. Stay positive people. It happends to everyone!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Free returns...Item returned was filthy. Slow process but can be done.

Sounds good.  Thank you for sharing.  Best regards

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Yes, if enough people contact ebay cs and a serial returner's account is documented, they will eventually lose their buyer protection.

Good for you for speaking up.  More sellers need to do this.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

If it was a free return, you do not have to issue a full refund.  Hopefully you kept part for the faulty return --- you are permitted up to 50 percent.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I had a serial ebay gold miner took 32 different misuse of MBG by 12 different sellers before they pulled the plug. As a group we lost alot of money,but by golly we showed him....

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I don’t think a phone call is necessary. Just use the “report buyer” link. Why do you offer free returns if you refund in full when the item is returned damaged? You could have issued a partial refund. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I gave a full refund because the amount of sale was not worth the back and forth arguement between me and the buyer, whom just would have lied anyways and said they didnt wear it or soil it and then hit me with a negative feedback as the end result. This would have gone a different route if it cost me alot of money but it was a small sale.  I am simply letting the Ebay community know that if this happends to them, low sale or not, simply document it becauase it may prevent this from happening in the future if they are a repeat offender. Customer service would never know unless you make a phone call..

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

in reply to this, since the case was already closed, it would not allow me to report the buyer. I already tried that but I feel better speaking to an actual person and getting it properly documented.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

I had a serial ebay gold miner took 32 different misuse of MBG by 12 different sellers before they pulled the plug. As a group we lost alot of money,but by golly we showed him....

That is why I used the word "eventually."  Never said ebay was quick at the switch.

I know it does not help those that went before and lost a lot of money, but reporting will help future victims.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@chicboutique31 wrote:

I gave a full refund because the amount of sale was not worth the back and forth arguement between me and the buyer, whom just would have lied anyways and said they didnt wear it or soil it and then hit me with a negative feedback as the end result. This would have gone a different route if it cost me alot of money but it was a small sale.  I am simply letting the Ebay community know that if this happends to them, low sale or not, simply document it becauase it may prevent this from happening in the future if they are a repeat offender. Customer service would never know unless you make a phone call..

Are you aware of the benefits of offering free returns? You can issue a partial refund when the item is not returned in its original condition and you are protected from negative feedback. It’s better to use the report the buyer link. Most of the time when you call, customer service tells you what you want to hear. If you want assurance the buyer is “on the radar”, use the report buyer link. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Personally I would think not getting the full refund would be a bigger deterrent to repeat offenders than about anything.  Ebay states they handle these situations and protect the seller from bad feedback. 

I recently reported a buyer for return abuse and was able to do so after the case closed.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply