cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Returns Stat Update - increased 0.5% to 4.6% on Women's Clothing

I've had free returns on select items over the last 60 days.  It is a limited sample size, but I thought I would post here in case anyone was interested in the stats:

• Return rate of Women's Clothing rose from 0.5% (buyer pays) to 4.6% (free-return shipping)
  • Return rate of Kitchen & Dining Goods unchanged from 0% (buyer pays) to 0% (free-return shipping)

I've had one instance of someone buying multiple sizes, trying them on, and then returning the one that fit best.   It hasn't come back to me yet (so I don't know whether I'll have to refund for both items or just one) ... but eBay charged me a return shipping fee for the combined weight rather than the weight of a single item.

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Re: Free Returns Stat Update - increased 0.5% to 4.6% on Women's Clothing

The numbers came from ebay its somewhere in the ratmaze of information. I've been waiting for someone to show up to ask about the details,but they never show up anymore...

Message 46 of 54
latest reply

@aruyt75 wrote:

@orangehound wrote:

I've had one instance of someone buying multiple sizes, trying them on, and then returning the one that fit best.   It hasn't come back to me yet (so I don't know whether I'll have to refund for both items or just one) ... but eBay charged me a return shipping fee for the combined weight rather than the weight of a single item.

I do that on Amazon.  They promote free returns, and there is no stipulation that you can't buy multiple sizes with the outright intention of returning one.  I'm not arguing with you BTW, I'm just pointing out that many buyers (including myself) will buy multiple sizes and keep only one.  I'm assuming the sellers understand that's almost certainly going to happen, yet still decide it's worth it to foot the bill on return shipping.

I'm sure others have already said this, but this is dishonest and just plain wrong.  If you need to try the item on to decide on a size, go to a store.  If you want to buy multiple sizes and keep one the honest thing to do is pay for the return shipping.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 47 of 54
latest reply

Zappos offers free returns.... We live close to a giant Zappos (owned by Amazon) warehouse/ outlet store.

Things, clothing, shoes and other items can be purchased at 10-30% of online cost.

Of course, not the ease or selection. 

They accept NO returns.

Consumers pay dearly for "free shipping, free returns"

On ebay, there are incredible deals. We should all follow Zappos B&M model and offer no returns. The ease of purchase, price and service should make up for the no "free" returns.

Message 48 of 54
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

The numbers came from ebay its somewhere in the ratmaze of information. I've been waiting for someone to show up to ask about the details,but they never show up anymore...

You've noticed that too huh?

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 49 of 54
latest reply

Where are you getting  numbers from (10 SNADs or 1% SNAD rate) that push someone into the higher FVF? I can't find where eBay published the number or percentage rate that will be considered "too high"

It's in the link shared, FAQ section.

"You will only experience consequences if you have at least ten requests in the line of business and your "item not described" or "item not received" rate is greater than 1 percent."  What are the consequences of having very high rates of "item not as described" or "item not received...

This is akin to and part of the penalties:  "An additional 4% fee in affected categories" and "Time added to buyer-facing delivery estimates for affected shipping destinations."

~M

Message 50 of 54
latest reply

So entitled you don't even realize that is bad behavior and you should keep it to yourself. You are what is wrong with online selling.
Message 51 of 54
latest reply

You should just be quiet.
Message 52 of 54
latest reply

While on vacation - I talked to a couple of people who did the exact same thing. Purchase what they want and return what they don't like once they receive it. But stores are getting wise - as many of their B&M counterparts will no longer accept returns for online purchases - the cusomers have to return it back to the online store - and don't think that the stores aren't keeping tabs on who uses their homes as their fitting rooms.

I've never thought of doing that. I hate returns and would rather go to a B&M and try an item on for fit - even if I then have to come home and order the color I want online. I often find great online deals on the deals board - but will go to a store and look at the item to see if it's what I want as far as size ect.. Guess it's counterproductive as with using gas to get to the B&M - I'm losing some of the savings of purchasing online - but I just hate to return things.

Message 53 of 54
latest reply

did you mean "buyers?" Because someone just posted that ebay does in fact punish sellers for too many returns.
Message 54 of 54
latest reply