cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Returns Stat Update - increased 0.5% to 4.6% on Women's Clothing

I've had free returns on select items over the last 60 days.  It is a limited sample size, but I thought I would post here in case anyone was interested in the stats:

• Return rate of Women's Clothing rose from 0.5% (buyer pays) to 4.6% (free-return shipping)
  • Return rate of Kitchen & Dining Goods unchanged from 0% (buyer pays) to 0% (free-return shipping)

I've had one instance of someone buying multiple sizes, trying them on, and then returning the one that fit best.   It hasn't come back to me yet (so I don't know whether I'll have to refund for both items or just one) ... but eBay charged me a return shipping fee for the combined weight rather than the weight of a single item.

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Re: Free Returns Stat Update - increased 0.5% to 4.6% on Women's Clothing

Message 16 of 54
latest reply

Now you just need to review your return ratio to see how many returns are getting tagged as SNAD. I've got 10 so I'm getting all prepared to move up to the 14% FVF group....

Message 17 of 54
latest reply

@aruyt75 wrote:

@orangehound wrote:

I've had one instance of someone buying multiple sizes, trying them on, and then returning the one that fit best.   It hasn't come back to me yet (so I don't know whether I'll have to refund for both items or just one) ... but eBay charged me a return shipping fee for the combined weight rather than the weight of a single item.

I do that on Amazon.  They promote free returns, and there is no stipulation that you can't buy multiple sizes with the outright intention of returning one.  I'm not arguing with you BTW, I'm just pointing out that many buyers (including myself) will buy multiple sizes and keep only one.  I'm assuming the sellers understand that's almost certainly going to happen, yet still decide it's worth it to foot the bill on return shipping.

So, we have a buyer who is admitting they are buying multiples to see which one fits better and returning all others when Free Shipping is offered.   So, those sellers who get the returns will be losing money AND punished for those returns via ebay counting those metrics against them.    My head  is shaking right now!

Message 18 of 54
latest reply

Its a interest concept the announcement was worded so no one really paid attention to the details,but it rolls out Sept. 1st and a ton of folks are going to find themselves in the 14% FVF area free shipping or not its all based on what the buyer selects as the reason for return...

Message 19 of 54
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

Its a interest concept the announcement was worded so no one really paid attention to the details,but it rolls out Sept. 1st and a ton of folks are going to find themselves in the 14% FVF area free shipping or not its all based on what the buyer selects as the reason for return...

Well quit the suspense bubbleman, it's killing me and point me to this announcement! 

@bubbleman2010

Message 20 of 54
latest reply

ersatz its such a twisted mess most folks paid no attention I did and now just waiting as to what the time frame is going to be. I suspect 18 months because thats the max shown on a sellers dashboard....   https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-summer/selling-metrics-and-shipping.html

Message 21 of 54
latest reply

The important section is titled  Service metrics and competitive insights...

Message 22 of 54
latest reply

@getitright1234 wrote:

@aruyt75 wrote:

@orangehound wrote:

I do that on Amazon.  They promote free returns, and there is no stipulation that you can't buy multiple sizes with the outright intention of returning one.  I'm not arguing with you BTW, I'm just pointing out that many buyers (including myself) will buy multiple sizes and keep only one.  I'm assuming the sellers understand that's almost certainly going to happen, yet still decide it's worth it to foot the bill on return shipping.

So, we have a buyer who is admitting they are buying multiples to see which one fits better and returning all others when Free Shipping is offered.   So, those sellers who get the returns will be losing money AND punished for those returns via ebay counting those metrics against them.    My head  is shaking right now!

Well, I have no idea how sellers are "punished" other than having to foot the bill for return shipping, at least with regards to Amazon.  Again, if a seller promotes free return shipping, especially for NIB items like clothes or shoes, why is it so unreasonable to take advantage of that as a buyer?  It's not like I buy something, wear it for something, then return it.  I place my order, order arrives, I try both on, and return, usually the same day.  I'm not waiting for 29 days then returning a used shirt or shoes as new.  Maybe there are people who do that, but I don't.  I also don't "fake" a defective return to get free return shipping.  If I buy something that does not offer free return shipping, I either keep it, or pay to ship it back, if it's simply a change of mind. 

But if eBay is "punishing" sellers who have free returns somehow, then that is just plain stupid.  I'm not sure why you are so outraged by this, sellers are not forced to offer free returns, and I'm sure a company like Amazon understands that this is going to happen, especially if they are going to be selling "fit" items like shoes and clothes.  

Message 23 of 54
latest reply

So, what control does a seller have in what a buyer chooses as the reason for a return, what are their choices.   All of this takes away sellers from listing and selling.  

Message 24 of 54
latest reply

Ha! And the only way out is at some point to provide free returns to lower that 14% fvf back to 10%? 

Why don't they twist our arm for real and get it over with. 

Message 25 of 54
latest reply

You have no control over what the buyer selects. On your dashboard it gives the reasons..

Reason: Didn't like item that doesn't counts......Reason: Doesn't match description or photos that counts....Reason: Doesn't work or defective that counts....Reason: Changed mind that doesn't count...
Message 26 of 54
latest reply

ersatz its all going to be based on what the buyer selects as the return reason.

Message 27 of 54
latest reply

@aruyt75 wrote:

@getitright1234 wrote:

@aruyt75 wrote:

@orangehound wrote:

Well, I have no idea how sellers are "punished" other than having to foot the bill for return shipping, at least with regards to Amazon.  Again, if a seller promotes free return shipping, especially for NIB items like clothes or shoes, why is it so unreasonable to take advantage of that as a buyer?  It's not like I buy something, wear it for something, then return it.  I place my order, order arrives, I try both on, and return, usually the same day.  I'm not waiting for 29 days then returning a used shirt or shoes as new.  Maybe there are people who do that, but I don't.  I also don't "fake" a defective return to get free return shipping.  If I buy something that does not offer free return shipping, I either keep it, or pay to ship it back, if it's simply a change of mind. 

But if eBay is "punishing" sellers who have free returns somehow, then that is just plain stupid.  I'm not sure why you are so outraged by this, sellers are not forced to offer free returns, and I'm sure a company like Amazon understands that this is going to happen, especially if they are going to be selling "fit" items like shoes and clothes.  

Also, the alternative, when free return shipping is offered, is to buy one item, it doesn't fit (which is a completely reasonable expectation for clothing/shoes/etc), then return it for free, and buy the next size up or down.  And I've had the experience of no sizes really fitting well.  So I could buy an item, doesn't fit, etc., return it for free, buy a different size, it also doesn't fit well, and return that for free.  That's the perils of offering free returns, there is no rule that says free returns must only be used for X reasons, and not these other reasons.  

Message 28 of 54
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

ersatz its all going to be based on what the buyer selects as the return reason.

How many "changed mind I will pay the return shipping cost" buyers have you had return something in the last year? 

Message 29 of 54
latest reply

PS: I can see buyers selecting SNAD even with FREE SHIPPING RETURNS and you know why:   buyers  know their returns numbers are being watched,  so they would be less likely to choose, I changed my mine as that reason would more likely count more against them rather than faking a SNAD.

Message 30 of 54
latest reply