cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign Buyers Now Circumventing No International Shipping Blocks

I do not do international shipping, personal preference. I have it stated clearly on my listings...USA Sales Only, No International Shipping, PayPal Payment Blocks in place for Foreign Currency Transactions. 

I have my ebay blocks set.  I have my PayPal blocks set.....No transactions from Non US addresses, No Foreign Currency Transactions, primary currency set at USD.

And they can still circumvent all that and bid on your listings.  The non US address is easily bypassed by the buyer signing up with a reshipper forwarding co. based in the US. However the currency block would always stop a transaction.  I found out not anymore. A reshipper a Turkish buyer had actually offers a service to their account holders to not only put the shippers US address on ebay, PayPal, but also to pay for the buyer using their USD credit account.  I wasn't happy about this buyer clearly knowing I didn't ship international and deliberately jumping through hoops to do it. Now I'm stuck having to ship it out. $90 radio.  As long as there is a valid US address ebay will give me a defect if I cancel out.  Yes ebay invalidates buyer protection if this is forwarded bythe reshipper.  But PayPal totally cancels out Seller Protection if an item is reshipped. Its on their TOS. They even warn you not to have a buyer  reship. Problem is, I only know after the fact, when the items been bought. Catch 22 situation. If I'm stuck with a scammer he'll do a PayPal charge back with his reshippers USD credit account.  I realize many sellers do business with reshippers with no problems. I hope for the same.

Message 1 of 78
latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

Re: Foreign Buyers Now Circumventing No International Shipping Blocks

Correct, you do get paid in the listing currency. PayPal converts a foreign buyers currency first however.
Message 46 of 78
latest reply

wrote:

pj I don't make mistakes and any SNAD dispute basically tells me whatever I shipped out is not going to be what I get back there are no errors allowed in my operation...

Wow, someone who never makes mistakes.  I certainly can't claim that. I am careful

when I list and when I send out an item but I have made the odd mistake.

A snad dispute could also mean that it is a false snad so in that situation a reshipper would be less expensive for you.

Message 47 of 78
latest reply

In this case it was the lower % because the buyer was using the reshipper to pay for it in USD. If the buyer used his own currency (and no blocks were set on my end) you would see the higher % rate, as PayPal has to do a currency exchange.

Message 48 of 78
latest reply

I love reshippers.

Message 49 of 78
latest reply

That higher percentage has nothing to do with a currency exchange as the buyer is the ones who pays for the exchange.   You pay a higher percentage when the buyer is registered in another country even if they have US dollars in their account. For example, I have both Canadian and US dollars in my account so if I bought something from you, I would pay in US. But you would still pay the higher Paypal fee because I'm registered in Canada. 

Please just humor me and doublecheck your PP account.  If you go into seller preferences and then block payments...Is there a check mark next to  the following option:

Block payments from users who:
Have non-U.S. PayPal accounts

Message 50 of 78
latest reply

If you're dealing with a item in the $1000.00 range you can't allow there to be any errors...

Message 51 of 78
latest reply

wrote:

In this case it was the lower % because the buyer was using the reshipper to pay for it in USD. If the buyer used his own currency (and no blocks were set on my end) you would see the higher % rate, as PayPal has to do a currency exchange.

Are you assuming that it was lower or did you check? Just curious..

Message 52 of 78
latest reply

Believe me. I know exactly where to go to set the blocks. They are definitely checked and were there when this listing ended. The payer was SHOP BORDERLESS INC. Thats the reshipper. It was paid in USD by them.
Message 53 of 78
latest reply

I once had a buyer in China use a forwarding service. Buyer claimed item was broken, and it could have been.  Buyer opened cases in both ebay and PayPal and both found in my favor -- my only responsibility was to get it to US shipping address and since no one at that address started a case, buyer in China had no protection.  Buyer's ebay ID clearly showed located in China, not at the shipping address...

Message 54 of 78
latest reply

neder its a very hard trail to follow unless you've be involved in it,but as time rolls along more folks will get involved its like a flavor of the month thingy...

Message 55 of 78
latest reply

But I want to leave with the shirt fully intact on my back. Dinnertime, I hope this has been informative for you all. My wife says not to worry. Thats when I worry.
Message 56 of 78
latest reply

neder you're only married to the transaction for 180 days come next fall it will all be behind you...

Message 57 of 78
latest reply

wrote:

Is this something new?  So if I am understanding, the shipping company pays with their account and then bills the International buyer?

So the shipping name and address would appear in paypal?

Many reshippers work that way.  That is how the one I use to make purchases in Japan operates-- I simply send them the link for the item I want to buy and the payment for the item via PayPal, and then they purchase it for me in their name and have it shipped to their office in Japan.  It's nothing new; I've been using this reshipper for almost 20 years now.

Message 58 of 78
latest reply

Ok. I see that they do have a 'buy for me option' and they charge 15-25% extra for that service.  I'm not sure if that extra percentage is based on the item price or shipping price or ?

Anyway, it looks like they can be used as a regular reshipping company where the buyer pays for the item but they will also buy the item for you.   It sounds like in this case they paid for the item but they were not the actual buyer since the buyer id is registered in Turkey.  Do I understand that right?

Message 59 of 78
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

Is this something new?  So if I am understanding, the shipping company pays with their account and then bills the International buyer?

So the shipping name and address would appear in paypal?

Many reshippers work that way.  That is how the one I use to make purchases in Japan operates-- I simply send them the link for the item I want to buy and the payment for the item via PayPal, and then they purchase it for me in their name and have it shipped to their office in Japan.  It's nothing new; I've been using this reshipper for almost 20 years now.

But the op knows where the buyer is located so this sounds slight different because the reshipper is paying for it but it wasn't bought with their ebay id...unless I am misunderstanding something.

Message 60 of 78
latest reply