cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback is flawed

I sold 2 items recently but cancelled both because buyer was located in Puerto Rico.  The cost to send was more than 3x the listed cost to ship as the add was flat rate shipping in the USA.  
i did immediately contact the buyer when i cancelled and i also refunded him out of my pocket as funds were processing.  

when he responded the items were already listed.  He offered to still buy 1 item and pay shipping.  I didnt proceed with it because there were bids by the time i realized it so i just left it at that.  

next thing you know he gives negative feedback and ebay wont do anything even though he lied in the feedback.  

he left spiteful feedback only because he could.    he got his money back  so he shouldnt have done anything, he know the extenuating circumstances.  

23 yrs on ebay and the guy gets to leave feedback when it wasnt a legit purchase.  

im pretty angry my perfect score drops 3% instantly over this guy acting like a child. 

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Feedback is flawed

After 23 years...I would think when you the buyer pays you ship it out.  Puerto Rico is a part of the USA.

A mistake twice...plus I think you still paid eBay fees on top bidder but I don't know...which might have covered shipping instead of the eBay top fee auction.

The feedbacks tell what happened like the way you mentioned.

We sellers will time to time make mistakes...including wrong shipping...

We have to consider it a learned lesson.

Refunding the bidder from an auction who has been watching your auctions for days when buyer might have gotten the items from another seller...but wasted time watching your auctions. You wasted the buyer's time plus making his payments and now he has to look again which might take days to find what he needs.

And you been on eBay 23 years....

Message 2 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

@gentlejax

The two most recent negative feedbacks show shipping costs to Puerto Rico in the listing. PR is serviced by USPS the same way as shipping to California, Maine, or  Colorado. 

Since they were able to pay, you should have sent the packages. Unfortunately, the follow up feedback left by the seller reflects poorly on the seller. 

Calculated shipping from Louisiana to PR is likely less than shipping to California. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 3 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

@gentlejax 

Since Puerto Rico is a territory belonging to the United States, it sounds as if there may have been a flaw in your shipping descriptions  when you had originally created your listing -- so it's not the buyer's fault.

In addition, the buyer had offered to purchase one of the items from you (paying the shipping charges on his own); but you turned him down, since you had already re-listed that item.

Since it was YOUR decision to cancel the sales (based upon your flawed shipping description), your buyer may be justified in leaving you negative feedback.

You may wish to tweak ALL of your listings to avoid this situation in the future regarding off-shore American territories, such as Puerto Rico; Guam; U. S. Virgin Islands;  American Samoa; Northern Mariana Islands; Micronesia; Marshall Islands; and Palau.

Message 4 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

It would be easier to block US Protectorates, 

(Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, US Minor Outlying Islands, Guam, American Samoa and Northern Mariana Islands.)

Exclude shipping locations (ebay.com)

Message 5 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

It is easier, but not necessarily necessary when using calculated shipping with USPS as the carrier. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 6 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

Apparently you haven't been in government or geography class in a while.  Puerto Rico is indeed part of the United States.  You should have shipped.  In my opinion, you deserve the feedback. 

Message 7 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

After 23 years...I would think when you the buyer pays you ship it out.  Puerto Rico is a part of the USA.

A mistake twice...plus I think you still paid eBay fees on top bidder but I don't know...which might have covered shipping instead of the eBay top fee auction.

The feedbacks tell what happened like the way you mentioned.

We sellers will time to time make mistakes...including wrong shipping...

We have to consider it a learned lesson.

Refunding the bidder from an auction who has been watching your auctions for days when buyer might have gotten the items from another seller...but wasted time watching your auctions. You wasted the buyer's time plus making his payments and now he has to look again which might take days to find what he needs.

And you been on eBay 23 years....

Yip... Happens.  I'd one not too long back that I said to myself, "Yo'... Self.  Not making a thing on this order... Phhht (spitting coffee all over myself).

The other side the coin, people who flat rate shipping might make a buck or two here and there, probably not much "My bad" karma there?  I flat rate at $6.50 and most everything is 5 ounces to 2-3 pounds.  Win some loose some, balances out but its more consumer friendly than going, "Oh, $10 flat rate no matter where or what."

Sellers make mistakes indeed but not the customers fault. I remember one night listing when uBid was alive which was just a ghastly process... Anybody things eBay bad, well, they've no idea what bad is.  So seller listed these Infinity Tower Speakers $9 start bid... I bid without a second thought yet his ending time was like 3 AM in the morning and I won them.  That's like $400+ of speakers in the day and they came to my door.  uBid has zero tolerance policies, you sell to cheap that's on you.  You end at dead times, thats on you and that happened to me occasion forgetting to "tick" the "PM" versus the "AM."

Message 8 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

The cost to send was more than 3x the listed cost to ship as the add was flat rate shipping in the USA.

YOU listed as FREE SHIPPING to the USA which included Puerto Rico.

YOU are responsible for the shipping costs since you chose to allows for a flat rate.

YOU knew the shipping methods and how shipping works being in business for 23 years and if you did not know after 23 years then you need to do some more learning instead of being spiteful and canceling because you did not want to actually pay for the shipping like you stated in your listing.

Not  sure why you are stating it was not a legit purchase?????

The buyer did nothing wrong here.

You did deserve the feedback for not honoring the sale.

You are 100% responsible for your listing.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 9 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

I would leave those negatives for you as well. The flawed thing is that you apparently did not use CALCULATED shipping on the listings.

Puerto Rico IS part of the USA (as a territory), despite what you may think.

Based on what you say here, the feedback he left for you was accurate. Not flawed. 

To accuse a buyer, who purchased items from you legally and in good faith, of being a liar in your feedback reply was just horrible customer service. Now everyone who checks your feedback rating may think twice if they want to buy from you

Message 10 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

@dryophelia wrote:

It is easier, but not necessarily necessary when using calculated shipping with USPS as the carrier. 

Let me expand:

It's easier to block instead of cancelling orders (defects?) and getting negative feedback.

To each his own.  I'd rather block than get negative or cancel orders and take the wrath of eBay defects.

Message 11 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

Yeah, those feedback responses will most likely hinder future sales potential. Very unprofessional. 

Message 12 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

The two most recent negative feedbacks show shipping costs to Puerto Rico in the listing. PR is serviced by USPS the same way as shipping to California, Maine, or  Colorado. 

@dryophelia 

@12345jamesstamps 

There is a slight problem with eBay and P.Rico depending on how the BUYER signs up/or presents their shipping address.  If they sign up and  list Puerto Rico as a country instead of Puerto Rico US, eBay treats it as an international destination sale and displays shipping information not reflective of US prices as one would ship to "California, Maine, or any other US state. 

This has been a problem since Adyen took over the processing for Managed Payments. 

Message 13 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

Use calculated shipping instead of guessing with a flat rate and hoping the destination isn't far away.

Message 14 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

UPS shipping costs make a seller jump back in horror when it sells outside the continental U.S.

Message 15 of 59
latest reply