cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty cost adjustment for shipping?

I've recently received a "cost adjustment for shipping labels" of one of my items. Granted I've missed my package's weight by less than a pound, but this shouldn't have cost more than the extra $8 they now charged me with. They also changed my shipping service from First Class Package to Priority Mail, though I can't understand why the USPS would do such thing.

So I'm really confused here, how come do I need to pay for shipping service I didn't ask for (and after I've paid for the other one)?
To whom and how do I complain about it? And do I have a case here? Becuase if it's my fault somehow, what do I do to avoid it in the future?
I've attached the details I've recieved (also it says I haven't entered dimensions, but thats impossible).
Thanks in advance...
cost-adj.JPG
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Faulty cost adjustment for shipping?

First class packages are limited to 1lb.  If the weight goes over 1lb, you are in the priority class, and yes, that can be $8 more very easily.  Take the time to weigh each item in the appropriate packaging before listing.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

First class packages are limited to 1lb.  If the weight goes over 1lb, you are in the priority class, and yes, that can be $8 more very easily.  Take the time to weigh each item in the appropriate packaging before listing.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Thanks,
I've sent similar packages in the past and they never went over a pound. So I feel It's bogus, but I have no proof.

Let's say I buy a proper scale and take a picture of the scales while weighing - will it help in any claim? or there's no way to ever get refund from nobody?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@paperdisk wrote:

Thanks,
I've sent similar packages in the past and they never went over a pound. So I feel It's bogus, but I have no proof.

Let's say I buy a proper scale and take a picture of the scales while weighing - will it help in any claim? or there's no way to ever get refund from nobody?

So you choose a random weight and send things out not knowing if the weight is accurate, therefore not knowing if you are paying appropriate postage. This is one of the reasons USPS implemented the APV system - to catch underpaid postage from sellers like you who don't bother to pay accurate rates upfront.

I don't know if the USPS charge in this case is accurate, but if it is they are saying you understated the weight by 14oz - that's nearly a pound.

APV has an appeals process in the event you were mischarged. I believe they will review their internal photos of the package being weighed en route to verify the weight and that your package wasn't stuck to another, for example.

Purchase a shipping scale and you shouldn't have to worry about APV charges.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Was this for the 10" dagger toy with batteries included? That would be a lot heavier than the 4" action figures you sold. With an appropriate size box and packing material it's easy to believe the USPS charge is accurate.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I don't understand how you can call this a faulty cost adjustment if you aren't even weighing your packages.  That's a big difference.  If you go over the 1 lb limit for 1st class by even one ounce, that puts you into Priority mail where you would need to pay the 1 to 2 pound rate.  

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@paperdisk wrote:

Thanks,

You have a feeling. USPS has a scale. Their scale is more reliable than your feeling.

I don't understand why a seller would feel this is bogus, when they never weighed it, unless they've frequently shipped this exact item in the exact same packaging without being charged before now.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I have had the same thing happen with me for an item that weighed only 4 oz.  I wiegh  each and every one of my packages before printing up a label. This is how I am able to set my prices.  It was a small trash can with lid. When shipping first class it does not ask for measurements so there should not have even been an issue.  I  USED the first class shipping label through paypal and  my package was 3.9 ouches. I put in 4 oz..  And  got the first class label. This was shipped in a white poly plastic bag type mailer. no padding.  Then about a week or so later I  get a notice from ebay stating  I have a shipping adjustment.$5.49 ON TOP of the original $2.66 I already paid as  i used first class and USPS stated it  have been priority.This is fraud. Theft by deception. I remember when a package would arrive to me  from somewhere else I as the reciever would have to pay the difference with a stamp on the package insufficient postage.  Also who is to say they did not charge the reciever of the package a fee as well.  I  disputed it and wrote the to USPS  verifypostagehelp@usps.gov   If anyone was overcharged and believe they were in the right please contact them and dispute charge.  So hopefully things will work out. If not then there will be one less US Seller on ebay.   

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

You'd leave eBay because of something USPS did? OK, whatever.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply