cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook scammers coming to eBay????

Just had a user with 0 feedback, 4 month old account, message me through the "question about returns" option, and ask "Is this xxxxx still available?"  Sounds like a Facebook Marketplace message! How would you all respond?

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Facebook scammers coming to eBay????

Not necessarily a scammer (unless they follow up with hinky questions) but more likely a buyer who is used to other martket places where often items are left listed long after they're sold.

Just tell them unless it says sold on the listing then yes it's still available.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 16 of 28
latest reply

I would not answer and block any potential buyer whose question had anything to do with returns.  

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

I wonder if he had been Searching for similar items on Google and found your listing.

That's how Item Specifics are supposed to work for us.

However, the listing can stay up on Google well after the original listing has sold.

Thus the enquiry.

Answer politely and expect a Best Offer that demands Free Shipping.

Answer that politely too.

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

This is not worth worrying about - "is it available" is pretty common on a lot of marketplaces, for various reasons. Just answering "yes" (or no) is all that's necessary.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 19 of 28
latest reply

@suavepenguin wrote:

Just had a user with 0 feedback, 4 month old account, message me through the "question about returns" option, and ask "Is this xxxxx still available?"  Sounds like a Facebook Marketplace message! How would you all respond?

You are WAY overthinking this. I would answer politely and say "Yes, it is still available. You can go to the listing on eBay and purchase it."

A couple weeks ago I had a buyer message me and state "I would like to buy this item." I answered politely and say "Yes, it is still available. You can go to the listing on eBay and purchase it." He purchased it, and the sale went fine.

Facebook and Craigslist users are conditioned to ask if an item is still available because so many people do not take down their listings on those sites. That does not make them "Facebook scammers". 🤔

Message 20 of 28
latest reply

Hi @suavepenguin 

I don’t find enough information in the message to determine the intent of the sender. So, as a matter of course, i would take it at face value and politely reply.

New buyers are good for the health of the platform and therefore i treat them as i would any customer: as a valued trading partner.

A few advocate the use of snarky replies, but showing basic courtesy when answering any shopper’s enquiry has served my interests well. My main goal is to sell my items, so my choices/actions are geared to support that effort. Courtesy enables smoother transactions. Emotions like fear, suspicion and lack of patience do not (though completely understandable to have such feelings under the circumstances).

It’s good to be cautious—and it is helpful to temper it with common sense, because it’s true that we sellers take a risk of loss in every transaction. But rather than fearing every sale, pre-planning can help to mitigate some of the liability we face.

Actions like a) learning all the policies that govern the platform, b) having “cookie jar”  insurance, c) setting up one’s Buyer Requirements to their strictest levels, and d) determining one’s risk tolerance prior to listing the item, could possibly minimize our threat of losses. 

e) Having a more buyer-friendly return policy may also lessen risk. Free returns are not for everyone, but i have offered them for many years (and follow eBay Best Practices) to maintain my seller metrics, and hopefully to prevent an unhappy customer from opening a case.

We sellers are at a disadvantage when it comes to the Money Back Guarantee. The buyer will always have his interests protected by eBay—and often done so at the seller’s expense. That’s the risk we all are at the mercy of. 

Wish you much smoother sailing ahead.

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

I've been selling on facebook over 5 years, never had a buyer who was a scammer. I usually answer, "Yes, it's available". Sometimes I also give them my home address and locations we can meet before they ask. The only times I even hear about scams on facebook is when they post here about someone selling a car wanting ebay gift cards as payment.

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

Me too.

Please enter 10 or more characters here.

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

Because I would.

A time waster.

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

A while back I had one request my phone number.  I replied with the phone number of the FBI in W.Palm Bch. 

I always give them my phone number, it's makes it easier if they get lost coming to my house or do not see me where we're meeting. I also tell them to call me when they are outside my house when they arrive . Never had any problem doing that.

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

Unless you're listing with Local Pickup, which the vast majority of eBay sales are not, this is not applicable.  If they haven't purchased from you yet, you can also get in big trouble with eBay for sharing personal information in messages.

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

this is not applicable

@brightlightbookseller 

The poster @campanaelia  was NOT addressing sales on eBay as far as providing a phone number.  Most of the responders here know all about the eBay "text me" scammers, and would not do that.  Some posters, including myself, were speaking about the phrase "Is this available" which is a common one used on F.Book Marketplace and Buy/Sell groups, and not so common on eBay. 

I could not provide a phone number anyway, since I have to travel about a mile away to get a cell signal.  Just like one does here, it doesn't take long to recognize a "scam" inquiry on the other site.  They are basically lazy and use the exact same text as the the last guy.  

For those that DO share their number prematurely, there are other things to consider as well: 

https://www.idstrong.com/sentinel/your-phone-number-is-out-there-what-can-someone-do-with-your-phone...

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

I just see this as a person who was watching and after it ended, they entertain asking that question, but I do smell a potential scammer. 

Have they tried to get you to communicate outside of eBay? If so, block and report them. 

Message 28 of 28
latest reply