cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exhausted by extra clicking to see basic listings!- NOW a new "see full description" button!?!

Does any one...anyone at all at ebay  have a lick of common sense... or business sense at all?

Why did they add more inconvenience to seeing the listing description???

If they want to limit the information and clutter on the listing page- why not get rid of all the annoying promoted listings that are not even close to relevant?

EBAY- all you have done again is add friction to the buying experience!- the buyer has already shown interest in the item by clicking on it- yes that listing already drew their attention and they deemed it a potential purchase and wanted to see more relevant details.......but instead ebay thinks it is better to hide those details from view and make them work harder to make the purchase.    

Its completely amazing that anyone can buy or sell anything on this platform anymore- 

please just stop mucking up the process with your stupid ideas and testing- just let up conduct business with you hindering us for a change

Message 1 of 97
latest reply
96 REPLIES 96

Re: Exhausted by extra clicking to see basic listings!- NOW a new "see full description" b

It's not about an extra click. It's about eBay hiding critical information about the listing, such as condition, detailed description, and additional images from the potential buyer.  But if the buyer doesn't notice the  "See full description" button, and purchases the item based on a single image and the title of the listing, this will result in many returns for item not as described.

The extra click is actually quite annoying and counterproductive. It's like being asked twice, after you've already indicated that you want to see something, whether you actually want to see it.

Message 46 of 97
latest reply

Re: Exhausted by extra clicking to see basic listings!- NOW a new "see full description" b

@globeminerals wrote:

It's not about an extra click. It's about eBay hiding critical information about the listing, such as condition, detailed description, and additional images from the potential buyer. 

@globeminerals   The description, condition, and images are still there without having to click anything. The OP has a concern that "some" items may have a ton of information, so you have to click to see everything. 99% of all Ebay listings do not have a ton of information and no need to click more buttons.

Message 47 of 97
latest reply

This is a HORRENDOUS step backward. Why on earth would you make the buyer work harder to see the descriptions we worked hard preparing? I list from a third party service, Auctiva. I have 16 years worth of time invested in saved listings there, so I won't be listing any other way. Ever. One click, and I can find a listing I did an hour's worth of research for 10 years ago. I tweak that listing and have saved an hour's worth of time. Detailed descriptions, pictures, item specifics, parts compatibility, all saved. Now multiply that by thousands and thousands of listings. Why is this all relevant?

Because I now have NO DESCRIPTION VISIBLE AT ALL until you click on a tiny light blue button. The previously posted screen shot shows at least the first part of the seller's description, which trails off, prompting a potential buyer to click on it. But eBay didn't account for third party listing services. A potential buyer will either think I'm too lazy to provide a description and will leave without buying, or they will just buy it without reading, leading to more bad returns. A lose-lose for everyone involved.

Selling used auto parts, it is a constant fight to get buyers to READ and not buy the wrong part. It is very important to have a detailed description visible. I fill out everything else I can, but it's still no match for an actual description. So PLEASE, let this beta be the last we see of this.

Message 48 of 97
latest reply

Interesting that the compatibility chart is shown full size.

The item specifics are brief, so no "show more" button there, but the item description displays only the Auctiva scroller above the fadeout.

@rabbitation84   Does Auctiva have an option to put that at the bottom?

shipscript_0-1681835967529.png

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 49 of 97
latest reply

I'm not seeing that as an option. Currently my Auctiva listing preview is still showing the old format. Typically, eBay makes a mess, and Auctiva has to scramble to clean it up. Since this is only a beta test, I'm sure they are waiting for eBay to finalize something before they act on it. I can see them figuring out a way to insert the description where it is most visible. That would take time though.

Message 50 of 97
latest reply

Auctiva used to have the option to have the gallery at the top or at the bottom, I have not idea if that is still the case.  When I did use Auctiva I stopped showing gallery on my listings as I found it annoying on other people's listings, especially when it was at the top. But I'm sure that not everyone feels the same way.

Message 51 of 97
latest reply

@globeminerals wrote:

It's not about an extra click. It's about eBay hiding critical information about the listing, such as condition, detailed description, and additional images from the potential buyer.  But if the buyer doesn't notice the  "See full description" button, and purchases the item based on a single image and the title of the listing, this will result in many returns for item not as described.

The extra click is actually quite annoying and counterproductive. It's like being asked twice, after you've already indicated that you want to see something, whether you actually want to see it.

The item condition is not hidden below an extra click.  It is the first thing that appears in the Item Specific boxes.

Sellers can add up to 24 pics on a listing.  Those are not affected by these click boxes to see more information.  Often the pics that a seller will put in the description of their listing are simply a repeat of what they have put on the listing where we normally see pics.

I'm not debating the functionality of the additional clicks.  There are pros and cons to that to be sure.  But one thing that not many are talking about is the fact that those pesky ads are NOT appearing above the description and ISBs.  That is wonderful.  Buyers use to have to scroll way down the listing to even find the description because there were so many ads above it.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 52 of 97
latest reply

It is because you are using the scrollbar above your description.  IMHO you should drop that to the bottom of your description if possible.

Message 53 of 97
latest reply

What value do you feel you are getting out of that scroll bar?  Is it important enough to you to keep it?  Just askin, nothing more.

Message 54 of 97
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

What value do you feel you are getting out of that scroll bar?  Is it important enough to you to keep it?  Just askin, nothing more.

wondering if the scroll bar is the sellers version of trying to compete with sponsored listings showing on listing pages? idk, just a thought. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 55 of 97
latest reply

The issue of the "see full description" feature is getting worse and worse with each passing year and with each attempt at "improvement". eBay keeps trying to tweak it but is not actually listening to all the sellers who complained about the disadvantages that their stubbornness in the issue brings to us.

Many buyers already don't read below the title, so let's make it even worse with buttons, fades, empty white spaces before you can get to an actual meaningful description. What's the logic of making it even harder for them to discover the details? Most items, especially used, or very specialized items, can't do it with just short item specifics, some need many lines of text in the description, simply because they are very complex in function and vary in condition, and things need to be explained, so the buyer does not purchase the wrong item!

Exhausted is a metaphor, no, our fingers will not fall off if we have to click a couple more times, but it is a bad decision if you look at it from the perspective of customer service, you're making more difficult for buyers to become informed about what they are purchasing.

Besides that, venting on another issue, I'm EXHAUSTED of the glitches in the new listing tool!

Message 56 of 97
latest reply

O/P well-put! I have been complaining about this a long time for mobile, now it extends to desktop as well? As a seller, my condition message on all items is,

"eBay hides the FULL item description! (but why??) Always click the arrow or button that says "See full item description" to see this seller's listing text, terms of sale, and better photos for actual condition assessment."

Message 57 of 97
latest reply

@jamesdouglasgallery wrote:

O/P well-put! I have been complaining about this a long time for mobile, now it extends to desktop as well? As a seller, my condition message on all items is,

"eBay hides the FULL item description! (but why??) Always click the arrow or button that says "See full item description" to see this seller's listing text, terms of sale, and better photos for actual condition assessment."

And that whole thing doesn't show unless you click "Read More" which just makes even more clicking for your buyers.

Message 58 of 97
latest reply

@siamjane8 

< why not get rid of all the annoying promoted listings >    

Promoted listings is another way that eBay makes money.  They're probably not looking to kill the goose. 

Message 59 of 97
latest reply

@gosimus wrote:

@siamjane8 

< why not get rid of all the annoying promoted listings >    

Promoted listings is another way that eBay makes money.  They're probably not looking to kill the goose. 

that's a wet dream spoiled 2 years ago...PLs aren't going anywhere and you can place safe bet by saying they will only get worse. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 60 of 97
latest reply