cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay sucks and here is why....

Ebay started in the 1990s a small operation catering to individuals who wanted to buy and sell products. So your lamp from Aunt Sadie, or that old toy that has been sitting in the basement for years, could be auctioned off for a few dollars. Or a buyer would be looking for a Beatles record, or a used cashmere sweater, collectible, etc. It was a nice way for 2 people to make an exchange.

I am exactly that person. I am a 'small fry' Ebayer, who likes being able to sell no longer needed items, or buy a used item at a savings. I use Ebay maybe 4-5 times a year. However, my experience with Ebay on this last transaction was appalling, to the point I felt the need to post.

I recently sold a new, unopened electronic device. Shipping was $5. No returns accepted. A week after shipment, Ebay emails me that the buyer did not want the item and had 'buyers remorse', would I take the return? The buyer did not contact me, Ebay did so they got involved. To be nice, I clicked 'yes'.

When I got the item back, the item was no longer sealed so I would not be able to list it as 'new' anymore. What did I do? Called Ebay to let them know what happened. Got the Phillipines and a very robotic person who said I accepted the return and must refund. When I explained that the box was opened, she said it was my fault for not telling the buyer that the box must be sent back in the same condition (?!) I assumed it would be! Then I went to my dashboard and clicked to report this to Ebay to help me. A case was opened and before you could say lickedy split, it was closed in favor of the buyer. Ebay then refunded the buyer (out of MY paypal) the entire amount including my shipping costs.

The straw that broke the camel's back was that Ebay still charged me a whopping 10% fee...I called cust svs and said because "I opened a case" I was liable for their fee. Then, the rep told me "It's not a good idea to open a case because 9/10 times the buyer wins". (!!!)

Again, Ebay brokered the deal and asked me to refund the buyer. And no where was it disclosed (in sight) that by clicking to open a case I had to pay their bloated fee even if I lost.

Ebay, you suck. You are not what you started off as 20 years ago and have become a greedy platform of 'super sellers'.

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: Ebay sucks and here is why....

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began, we have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread HERE.
Thanks.

Message 46 of 46
latest reply