cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay sucks and here is why....

Ebay started in the 1990s a small operation catering to individuals who wanted to buy and sell products. So your lamp from Aunt Sadie, or that old toy that has been sitting in the basement for years, could be auctioned off for a few dollars. Or a buyer would be looking for a Beatles record, or a used cashmere sweater, collectible, etc. It was a nice way for 2 people to make an exchange.

I am exactly that person. I am a 'small fry' Ebayer, who likes being able to sell no longer needed items, or buy a used item at a savings. I use Ebay maybe 4-5 times a year. However, my experience with Ebay on this last transaction was appalling, to the point I felt the need to post.

I recently sold a new, unopened electronic device. Shipping was $5. No returns accepted. A week after shipment, Ebay emails me that the buyer did not want the item and had 'buyers remorse', would I take the return? The buyer did not contact me, Ebay did so they got involved. To be nice, I clicked 'yes'.

When I got the item back, the item was no longer sealed so I would not be able to list it as 'new' anymore. What did I do? Called Ebay to let them know what happened. Got the Phillipines and a very robotic person who said I accepted the return and must refund. When I explained that the box was opened, she said it was my fault for not telling the buyer that the box must be sent back in the same condition (?!) I assumed it would be! Then I went to my dashboard and clicked to report this to Ebay to help me. A case was opened and before you could say lickedy split, it was closed in favor of the buyer. Ebay then refunded the buyer (out of MY paypal) the entire amount including my shipping costs.

The straw that broke the camel's back was that Ebay still charged me a whopping 10% fee...I called cust svs and said because "I opened a case" I was liable for their fee. Then, the rep told me "It's not a good idea to open a case because 9/10 times the buyer wins". (!!!)

Again, Ebay brokered the deal and asked me to refund the buyer. And no where was it disclosed (in sight) that by clicking to open a case I had to pay their bloated fee even if I lost.

Ebay, you suck. You are not what you started off as 20 years ago and have become a greedy platform of 'super sellers'.

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

This is how ebay operates now, their rules are hidden, they favor the buyer, and they do not explain things properly so many sellers, especially new and inexperienced ones get caught in the trap that only benefits a scammy buyer.

OP, it is rapidly coming to the point that any buyer can complain about anything and ebay will side with them and they will be refunded.  The only choice a seller will have is to accept and pay for a return or not.  It is a good idea to always keep that in mind when you list anything on ebay.

(*Bleep*)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Why would eBay keep the FVF on a refund ?

Did you ask for your fees back, call eBay and report back to us what they tell you.

Message 2 of 46
latest reply

Sometimes they don't know they don't want it until they try it.

Sometimes they are simply forced to choose from a very limited choice of reasons to return.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 3 of 46
latest reply

If you sold it via NO RETURNS and they said they ordered by mistake you could have rejected the return, kept your money and the case would have been closed in your favor.

Message 4 of 46
latest reply

@cell.buyer wrote:

Did you ask for your fees back, call eBay and report back to us what they tell you.

If ebay is called upon to settle a case and you lose, the fvfs are not refunded.

Message 5 of 46
latest reply

They only do so if either party "asks eBay to step in".  They have to pay the bot for the tenth of a nanosecond it took to decide in the buyer's favor.

Message 6 of 46
latest reply

This is how ebay operates now, their rules are hidden, they favor the buyer, and they do not explain things properly so many sellers, especially new and inexperienced ones get caught in the trap that only benefits a scammy buyer.

OP, it is rapidly coming to the point that any buyer can complain about anything and ebay will side with them and they will be refunded.  The only choice a seller will have is to accept and pay for a return or not.  It is a good idea to always keep that in mind when you list anything on ebay.

(*Bleep*)
Message 7 of 46
latest reply

"Then, the rep told me "It's not a good idea to open a case because 9/10 times the buyer wins". (!!!)"

I feel sure that statement is very wrong.  That would mean that 10 percent of the time the seller will win on an escalated case.  There is no way the percentage is that high.  

Message 8 of 46
latest reply

@hedya000 wrote:

Ebay, you suck. You are not what you started off as 20 years ago and have become a greedy platform of 'super sellers'.

I really hate this statement. Tell me a company that is the same now as it was 20+ years ago? Not eBay, not Amazon, not Yahoo Auctions (who?), not Overstock Auctions (who?), not Cingular Wireless (who?), not US West (who?), not Rogers Cable (who?)..

Message 9 of 46
latest reply

I don't hate the statement at all.

yes its true everybody big corporations have become a greedy _ _ _ Ks

but that doesn't make it right.

Message 10 of 46
latest reply

If Donahoe would not have sank the Titanic eBay would not have to depend on selling ads and fees on shipping to show a profit to Wall Street.

eBay needs a new CEO who has vision and can innovate, find a new direction, because what we have now is not going to cut it.

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

OP:  "I recently sold a new, unopened electronic device."

_____

OP:

lol...yuh know i wasd really hoping when I began reading your op that you would give it to us straight and dive right into what is REALLY wrong here on ebay.  Obviously, you missed the mark.  You had me until that above quoted statement.

Op, join the club.  You're only the millionth something person who sold an electronic device on ebay and got scammed by a scammer buyer.    Ebay hardly cares at all, and no, that is not the biggest problem with ebay or why it, to use your words, "sucks".

Why does ebay really suck?  If one asks me it's because the DOJ has not prosecuted certain managers and executives, and sought long, long prison terms.  THAT is why it sucks.

ta

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

LOL, the vision was stated 20 months ago:  Here it is, in case you forgot:  China, the big box, couterfeit central, liar buyer's merchandise emporium, *not* made in the usa, etc.....essentially, the big dumb down.

That's the current mission and vision.  has been for nearly two years.

Message 13 of 46
latest reply

That's all true.  Swap the words "seller" and "buyer" and that's how eBay operated in the Good Ol' Days. 

Message 14 of 46
latest reply

I agree but this puts me in a very unique and special place.

I am a middle child with a sister who is a multi-Millionaire

and another sister like myself who struggles a little to 

stay afloat.

years ago MM sister wrote lots of no-doc loans.

when we had a big squabble about it she said---

"it was legal" + "they should have known better"

some of these people should have gone to jail..

PERIOD.  

Message 15 of 46
latest reply