cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's total disregard for sellers...re: new 15 day limit on putting items on sale

I have been a seller for a few years, have done everything right according to Ebay, gone along with new policies (offer guaranteed delivery, free shipping, have 100% positive fb etc) and was a TPS Plus until the free shipping requirement. This morning I found out that Ebay has instituted a policy that an item that was on promotion cannot be put back on sale for 15 days. I sell clothing and this policy is going to significantly hurt my sales. Over the weekend I put a large part of my store on promotion and consequently had a significant boost in sales. I now can't put any of those items back on sale for 15 days. If I were to put some of these items back on sale next weekend and would get a similar boost in sales how is that a bad thing? I called Ebay and was told that buyers have complained about sellers marking items up and immediately putting them on sale. So instead of targeting those sellers and working with them Ebay institutes a blanket policy that affects all sellers. When I run a promotion it's generally 10-20% off. I do not mark up items before they go on sale. Increased volume of purchases as a result of a promotion is good for me and ultimately Ebay too. Also, there is no way to tell which items are eligible to be put on promotion. If I go to the promotions page and format a sale there is no indication as to which items are beyond the 15 day restriction. Finally, as a seller shouldn't I have received prior notice to this policy? I found out from another seller.

I have always been one to defend Ebay when others complain about policies as a great venue for selling but after they have made free shipping a requirement for TRS Plus and now this I am very discouraged. I would think I am the kind of seller Ebay wants to keep happy as I am making them money. It feels like Ebay is trying to get rid of sellers like me.

Message 1 of 246
latest reply
245 REPLIES 245

Re: Ebay's total disregard for sellers...re: new 15 day limit on putting items on sale

So if Ebay rescinded the 14 day policy, why is it that I can't still use Markdown Manger? What is new policy then?

Message 226 of 246
latest reply

Re: Ebay's total disregard for sellers...re: new 15 day limit on putting items on sale

Message 227 of 246
latest reply

"In the 2018 Summer Seller Update, we announced new changes to requirements for creating a markdown sale event that went into effect on June 25, 2018. We listened to your feedback and have made a change to these markdown sale requirements. Sellers can now add items to a markdown sale event even if the listing was previously in another sale event within the past 14 days as long as the listing price has not been changed."

What happens when the item expires and it is relisted?  In my case,  nothing happens even though the price wasn't changed before. All I did was to change the handling time to 2 days since I'm not getting 10% discount b/c I don't offer FREE return shipping.

Message 228 of 246
latest reply

Same here V-V. I just relisted mine.... changed NOTHING... and I'm still getting the skipped **bleep** when I try to put something on sale.  I dont think I'll renew my store in August when its up.

Message 229 of 246
latest reply

Ebay is becoming Amazon. Sellers aren't that important. The focus is on the buyers.
Message 230 of 246
latest reply

If you look back in history, Ebay really don't care about the seller, in fact Ebay goes out it's way to make seller life miserable as much as possible.  B/c of this markdown manager mess, my income dropped 30%-40%, thanks ebay

Message 231 of 246
latest reply

HELP!  I have no idea why I still can't do sales.    There is NO WAY to tell when an item is eligible for sale.    Is ebay working on this.   Out of 414 items, 2 listed in a sale I just created......   Incredibly frustrating and I am losing business because of this mess.   Literally losing money.  So unfair this roll out affected so many of us, the small honest reseller....

Message 232 of 246
latest reply

If the item was on sale before it expired and you relisted the item, you can not put on sale on the same item.  I thought Ebay said that this was allow?

Message 233 of 246
latest reply

@vintage_villages wrote:

If the item was on sale before it expired and you relisted the item, you can not put on sale on the same item.  I thought Ebay said that this was allow?

I believe doing a relist resets the 14 day clock on a 30 day fixed listing.   Normally we could ask for clarification during the weekly chat today, but it's about business insurance so no such luck.

brian@ebay  Could you clarify this, when a user uses Relist (not sell similar) does it reset the 14 day clock?

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 234 of 246
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

@vintage_villages wrote:

I believe doing a relist resets the 14 day clock on a 30 day fixed listing.   Normally we could ask for clarification during the weekly chat today, but it's about business insurance so no such luck.

brian@ebay  Could you clarify this, when a user uses Relist (not sell similar) does it reset the 14 day clock?

Hi @dtexley3@vintage_villages, a relist does count as a new listing since it receives a new item number. This resets the 14-day wait period before an item can be placed on sale. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 235 of 246
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

@vintage_villages wrote:

Hi @dtexley3@vintage_villages, a relist does count as a new listing since it receives a new item number. This resets the 14-day wait period before an item can be placed on sale. 

brian@ebay  could this be looked at?  As long as the price doesn't change it would seem this would help alleviate the angst for those using Fixed Listings that are not GTC.   GTC "relist" every 30 days, we just choose to keep control and take the opportunity to review pricing.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 236 of 246
latest reply

What about 5, 7 day relisting? Does the clock start over?

Message 237 of 246
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

@vintage_villages wrote:

brian@ebay  could this be looked at?  As long as the price doesn't change it would seem this would help alleviate the angst for those using Fixed Listings that are not GTC.   GTC "relist" every 30 days, we just choose to keep control and take the opportunity to review pricing.

@dtexley3, the wait periods for markdowns were recently looked at and sellers feedback was taken into consideration. The result of this review was to remove the wait period for items that were recently on sale. We do not have plans to remove the wait period for new or relisted items. If a seller would like to place an item on sale multiple times in a short period, they will need to use the Good Til Cancelled format.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 238 of 246
latest reply

so basically you are telling me that if I use 5/7/10 day listing, I can't use markdown manager unless I use Good Til Cancel listing, correct?

Message 239 of 246
latest reply

@vintage_villages wrote:

What about 5, 7 day relisting? Does the clock start over?

Hi @vintage_villages, all relists are subject to the 14-day wait period. Additionally, listings with a duration of 3, 5. 7, or 10 days will not be eligible for a markdown since these listings will end before the 14-day wait period has completed. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 240 of 246
latest reply