cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's new shipping purchase format is absolutely deplorable.

USPS ground shipping at the window for an item I sold, insured, was $14.28. No ground shipping offered by Ebay. Ebay parcel select was 37.39, insured 39.09

Ebay tech support confirmed Ebay's exorbitant charge but offered no explanation, suggesting I use the PO from now on.

There isn't a seller on Ebay that doesn't or wouldn't have serious issue paying $39.09 to ship when the best shipping deal is $14.28 at the post office.

Furthermore, Ebay no longer provides a written receipt showing amount paid for insurance purchased. This is absolutely deplorable. No information at all about shipping is provided on a receipt by Ebay. I told support this and I could have sworn I heard a snicker.

Since ebay changed its shipping page format, it has gone straight to hell.

Now, I suppose they'll remove this post because I'm not nice. What a joke.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Ebay's new shipping purchase format is absolutely deplorable.

USPS ground shipping at the window for an item I sold, insured, was $14.28. No ground shipping offered by Ebay. Ebay parcel select was 37.39, insured 39.09

You would have to give us the size, weight, shipping date, and zip codes for us to comment.

Now, I suppose they'll remove this post because I'm not nice.

I think you vastly overestimate how much eBay pays attention to - or cares about - what you on this board.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@tiktakyak wrote:

Ebay tech support confirmed Ebay's exorbitant charge but offered no explanation, suggesting I use the PO from now on.

There isn't a seller on Ebay that doesn't or wouldn't have serious issue paying $39.09 to ship when the best shipping deal is $14.28 at the post office.

Furthermore, Ebay no longer provides a written receipt showing amount paid for insurance purchased. This is absolutely deplorable. No information at all about shipping is provided on a receipt by Ebay. I told support this and I could have sworn I heard a snicker.

Since ebay changed its shipping page format, it has gone straight to hell.

Now, I suppose they'll remove this post because I'm not nice. What a joke.

Others have had problems with the new format and Ebay is now eliminating some shipping options to make a better buying experience. You have the option of going to the PO and buying at the counter or using another online service and just copying and pasting the tracking number into the transaction here. I use pirateship for many of my sales as it has cubic shipping which Ebay doesn't and plan to use it more when I get enrolled in managed payments.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

You would have to give us the size, weight, shipping date, and zip codes for us to comment.

I already did all that for you in the price. Your list of things that you know doesn't have a wit to do with my comment or the issue anyway, strictly a vanity post.

I think you vastly overestimate how much eBay pays attention to - or cares about - what you on this board.

Oh no, it is not possible to overestimate ebay's lack of attention or involvement with its business or its clients, or to actual functionality of the sellers' work-flow. The more hoops and major inconvenience, as ebay see it, the better. The "fun" is in the experience, right? How liberal.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Others have had problems with the new format and Ebay is now eliminating some shipping options to make a better buying experience. You have the option of going to the PO and buying at the counter or using another online service and just copying and pasting the tracking number into the transaction here.

You're saying ebay is cutting shipping options to "make a better buying experience". That doesn't even make sense. Typical of ebay to blow off valid criticism, however.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

You would (I do) think someone would walk into the meeting and say "We have something we need to fix right now".

Well, we weren't invited to the meeting. Andrew

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

They also don't appear to learn from their mistakes.

Once they were the 800 pound gorilla in the room and people were making fun of Amazon for losing money. Meantime Amazon was was investing in infrastructure for the long term. Rather than admit they were wrong eBay management continues to double down on its failed strategies. Unfortunately it all bowls down to company management meeting its short term sales goals at any means so they get their bonuses - they could care less what the long term consequences are to eBay or its users. They would be good politicians - they ruin everything they touch.

In this post I examine a quick test of the old and new selling forms using one older account I have here and a newer account. The new selling form is making me work on my 24" screens like I have a small screened mobile device whereas the old form didn't require any scrolling - it was all shown on one page. The new form is massively bloated.

New Verses Old Selling Form

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Basically I have observed two issues here.  

First, ebay is not presenting buyers with all the choices a seller may have provided.  The have a bot apparently knows better than a buyer what they would like to see and select. 

Secondly, on the new shipping page,  the choices are not readily available for a seller to see when making a shipping label.   

In this case, you can go to PayPal and make the label, or use another service as suggested above and add your tracking number to ebay.

A third choice you might try is this:  

When on the new shipping page, up in the address bar, remove the words "new_label" and replace with "back_to_classic" and hit enter. It may take you to the old version of the shipping flow and from there you can choose from many selections 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Parcel select is a ground service offered online by ebay, but it is really high now due to the new USPS change.  The loophole is retail ground through the post office, but I wonder how quickly USPS will adjust that. 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I wish they would have left classic as an option. My guess is the changes are a direct attempt to get large shipping profits from sellers who offer free shipping and arent paying attention.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

All i know is i just paid $4.98 postage to ship a 14oz bubble mailer 300 miles. Online sales will trade places with brick and mortar as shipping goes up and platforms become more greedy.
Message 11 of 11
latest reply