cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's new Offsite Ads Program- Will it kill sales?

I just saw some information saying that this new offsite ads program ( that ebay is offering us $100 to try) is in beta testing now and sometime in 2024 should go full scale.  The intent is for ebay to no longer pay google for any ad space so our listings will only show up on google if WE pay ebay the offsite ads premiums.( so if our listing is a perfect match, it wont show unless we pay ebay more...)

The problem is that with ebay's search engine being so overmanipulated with promoted listings and irrelevant results- most people use google to find ebay listings!

Are they setting up a situation that will kill sales for anyone who does not pay to pay further?!

If this is the case- what value does ebay offer at all?- if we need to pay google for placement and ads- why not just get our own websites and pay google?

My first thought is that this would only affect the "shopping" tab on google and that the general search because if google cant "look" for matching listings in its own search- what good is google then?

Either way- ebay is providing less and less and costing more..... Isnt that what ebay is supposed to do for our FVF?- advertise and bring buyers to the platform. 

Message 1 of 65
latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

Re: Ebay's new Offsite Ads Program- Will it kill sales?

@meme6253 wrote:

I agree with most of what you are saying, I do the same, But there is only so far you can go & customers are not going to keep paying more & more, You can price yourself right out of business.I don't work for nothing either.

No, I don't price MYSELF out of business.

eBay may price me out ... I won't do it.

Much of my costs (overhead) are out of my control.  They are controlled by others who rely on me to make the payments.  I will not absorb an unlimited amount of price increases, and neither will my customers. 

If it costs me $10 to acquire, index, store, wrap and ship .... and the most the 'customer' will pay me is $8 ... then eBay has priced ME out of business. 

I am eBay's customer.

Message 31 of 65
latest reply

If you are going to suggest that promoted listings has had a negative effect on search relevancy and general decline in sales conversion along with buyer satisfaction etc., then prove your case.  I don't seem to be having the same problems with my promoted listings as most have, obviously from the comments I've read on these boards.

To say that "less desirable sellers" will be losing more money because they will pay more in fees, etc., goes on to suggest that I am a "less desirable seller" which is a very inconsiderate thing to say about a lot of sellers.  I have had to promote my listings at a higher promoted fee rate than most because of my competition.  Otherwise, I was sitting back twiddling my thumbs while waiting for something to sell.  My sales have increased over 64% in the last month and my click-thru rate is awesome both promoted and organic.  In the mean time, I get more and more followers which generally means they liked what they saw, were happy with their purchases, and will be back! 

Of course, there are other things I do as well, but I'm not a "less than desirable seller" and some of my buyers have wondered why they have not found me before via buying from "desirable sellers".  I guess??? What causes a decline of buyer and seller trust has nothing to do with promoted listings as you have suggested.  From what I have understood, if there's a trust issue it generally comes from the seller; in other words, how can promoted listings have any affect on the way buyers behave.  Most of my buyers have absolutely no clue what drives them to my store, they certainly don't think about  the fees that I pay to get seen or whatever I charge for my items, because they are fortunately blissful buyers as can be seen from my feedback.

I've certainly had my moments with the eBay Platform blaming them for all sorts of issues, but most of the problems I've had have been based on my own decisions and choices, plus I'm selling in a very hard market.  My only complaint at the present time is that eBay's communication is rather poor when it comes to new steps we can take as sellers to make more money.  Their explanations on how to work within their programs can be difficult, and I'm well-read, certainly not an idiot.  I feel sorry for some new sellers as they try to crawl through all the barb wire and tape to reach their goals.

Why you managed to receive 10 "helpful" thumbs up on your comment is beyond me, how did you help anyone with your comment, other than to put other sellers down?

Message 32 of 65
latest reply

Use Google to find eBay items about 80% , when I do I actually see the items I'm searching for not 1000 items that have absolutely no relation. In my saved searches I have " Denver map" saved and for the last year it has constantly shown me every coin minted in Denver with the word "map" NOWHERE in the description or title.  Sorry but this isn't the was a search should work.

Message 33 of 65
latest reply

What I find interesting is 6 months ago about 30-40% of my items were sold with promoted listings standard fees and now it around 95%. I don't trust this at all but unfortunately it's the new cost of doing business with eBay. 

Message 34 of 65
latest reply

@selsa84 wrote:

Use Google to find eBay items about 80% , when I do I actually see the items I'm searching for not 1000 items that have absolutely no relation. In my saved searches I have " Denver map" saved and for the last year it has constantly shown me every coin minted in Denver with the word "map" NOWHERE in the description or title.  Sorry but this isn't the was a search should work.

Allot of people use Google and MSN to shop as well as many of the price comparison engines and I do mean allot of people.  The numbers have skyrocketed with mobile voice search as it's natural for folks.  Don't need go eBay, Amazon etc just speak into the phone no different than "Call Gizmo's Pizza" or "Macy's hours."  Voice search is the now and the future.  

Most folks don't understand how to target search engines, they just don't nor for that matter how to organically aggregate traffic within a venue via they're own listings.  A similar example is how people drive a car or truck and miles per gallon.  MPG results are based how people drive.  My lady gets 18-22 MPG out of her car, I drive it I get 26-28 and have done high as 31 simply due to driving styles.

So how I drive different?  Well, I look for every opportunity to coast for starters be that a hill or there's the red light and I can happily coast to it whilst some bean bag has often crawled up behind me.  I brake before I turn, seldom if ever do I brake within a turn unless I have no choice.  When braking within a turn your asking the tires to do several things using its grip to both maintain traction and remove kinetic energy, wear the tires quicker and loosing more kinetic energy that needed loose.  In other words your using the tire to do two things.  Know the transmission shift points of a car and you can use that to extend mileage as well, if you happen to have a car where you can shift it as a manual even more the better yet.   Highway driving, tuck in 8-12 car lengths behind a Tractor Trailer, let it break the wind watch your mileage go in big fashion.  When we go to camp if my lady drives takes 1/4 tank a gas, I drive, near half that.

Internet is same thing...  If you know how to maximize its potential and take the time to learn and do you're going to get better results.  I don't go out of my way to maximize the Internet towards my sales of ancient PC games but if I were to, what might that look like?

Well first I went make sure my listings are best case for search/price engines.  That means single line description, full description and in eBay's case Product Details be properly addressed.  Used to drive me nuts when I built web storefronts for people, I show them what they need do to drive the search oriented traffic and they not do the work.  I go back, show em' again, edit some of their product listings and wait... Lo' and behold 200,300, 500 on and on percent more traffic on those SKU's.

Now for ancient PC games or say I do music or Stamps or Coins, doesn't matter.  On the Internet via existing or created "social media" and that means traditional like FB, X, Instagram etc but also forums and sites just like this forum can be aggregators of traffic.  Just need do the work and perhaps look at ways monetize that as an aggregate.  For example, maybe do song reviews or reactions as they call them on youTube or speak of given Stamps, history or coins etc.  Now you're creating a doorway to your sale products whilst building a following at say youTube that you may monetize on and use other social media operations to aggregate more towards those videos.  These are the simple ones.  Throw you're own CMS website into the mix and all the above can be automated as well as having its own social media built in.  Atop that now you've a new skill set, building websites which literally has a zero cost to you.  Might charge to train whomever to administrate their site or do so under maintenance agreement.

All that aside make no mistake about it, Google Mobile shopping search in requests per second make this place look like its barely moving in numbers.  I wouldn't even hazard guess how large that difference is in general search terms, could be 10,000 or 100,000 to one.  It's why eCommerce APPs exist for mobile.  I've never understood why eBay doesn't assign some real-estate front and center from hompage to every page saying, "Get the App."

Message 35 of 65
latest reply

My customers want "the deal".   If it's not flat out the lowest price out there, It's the best lowest price.
You can't find that with a Google search that shows you what you Searched For.  You can find some things that you searched for.  And one of those items might LEAD you to eBay.
But once you are here?   Then the real searching begins (for the best deal).
   And once you are here, the search results are not going to show you the full picture unless you REALLY know eBay.  And most searchers don't.
   If you find something on eBay, from a Google search?  You are not going to just throw money at it because it's there.
 You've probably only just begun to search.  

Message 36 of 65
latest reply

The OP said POTENTIALLY "less desirable sellers" who use the pay to play to gain an advantage they really shouldn't have in search.

Btw, it's Business NOT personal.

That you CHOSE to take her words personally says something. I'll leave you to figure out what.

eta: And no-one posting here has to "prove" anything.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 37 of 65
latest reply

The statement was offensive because it insinuated that sellers using the service heavily are less reputable. Since many points go into determining the reputability of a seller, saying a seller is less reputable because they have a larger advertising budget than you is petty. Pettiness is not “business”, it’s a personality flaw. 

Message 38 of 65
latest reply

When people claim this it’s clear they have never used google to shop. While it’s good place to start when looking for items, people aways end up on the host site and rarely buy the actual item that took them there. Once on the hosts website, customers usually filter for what they want. I.e. low price, fast ship etc. These promotions would be just as effective if hosts would just randomly promote items on google instead of forcing sellers to pay for the service. 

Message 39 of 65
latest reply

They better get some more exposure on google or something of that nature as the number of active buyers has been receding incredibly.

Message 40 of 65
latest reply

That’s mostly correct. Most shop internally on most websites. I personally almost NEVER use google to search for a particular product. But, the boost in visibility non organically is always a good thing. People with their own websites are paying through the nose to get seen on there.

Message 41 of 65
latest reply

How do you do that? Many would like to know.

Message 42 of 65
latest reply

Correct. Massively expensive to ad on Google. One reason Ebay probably wont either.

Message 43 of 65
latest reply

Siam, most do not use google to evaluate and find listings. Not enough space on there to include the multitude of things. ebay listings. But, if you have some listings on their it helps some for sure.

Message 44 of 65
latest reply

Really? I took it to mean that it could potentially be abused by those "less desirable sellers" to game the system.

Siam wasn't saying at all that all sellers using the pay to play promotions were "less desirable", but he/she sure hit a hot button apparently.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 45 of 65
latest reply