cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay locks account for unusual login activity without ability to reset password through website.

Once locked out they also de-activate all active listings and remove them. Being Locked Out. Account Locked. Unable to reset password. Reset Password.

You have to call using a previous order number (good luck if you don't have one) to identify your account, otherwise there is no way to get a hold of a customer representative.

The representative will ask 6 questions about where you lived, what license plate you have had in the past, what certificates you have had in the past and more.

Ebay's automatic security protocol to keep people save on the platform is annoying. Being an Amazon Customer for 15 years, not once did Amazon lock me out of the account and ask invasive financial and private information questions not posted on this platform.

Ebay is obviously incapable of website security and manages security at the expense of user experience. It is absolutely unacceptable. Their security website team should be fired.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Ebay locks account for unusual login activity without ability to reset password through website.

That is annoying indeed, was there anything about the password that might have been unsecure? Like <=8 characters, no numbers, or no special characters etc? I think requiring you to change the password if the platform suddenly changes their password policy is one thing - and they should really let users know way ahead of time.

ebay just unilaterally blocks you from changing it, i tried the reset password and it wouldn't even allow that through the website (even though my account email, phone number, etc had not changed during this supposedly unauthorized access event block). Having ebay force customers to use secure passwords, or even change them if they don't meet security requirements would actually be in their best interest, not IP blocking.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Re: Ebay locks account for unusual login activity without ability to reset password through website.

@bvhm74 wrote:

Having ebay force customers to use secure passwords, or even change them if they don't meet security requirements would actually be in their best interest, not IP blocking.

I mean, clearly YOUR password wasn't secure if someone else was able to figure it out...

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@bvhm74 wrote:

That is annoying indeed, was there anything about the password that might have been unsecure?

No.  It was good.  I grew up, computer-wise, in the Unix world.  Worked in fields where security was a big concern.  Retired now and use a desktop, Linux OS, wired ethernet, etc.  Am considered by family and friends to be a right old PITA about privacy and security.  😄

-

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Your statement makes a lot of assumptions that are incorrect. The same password is secure day one and day 1Million. You assume old passwords are not secure. Incorrect. You assume not changing your password is insecure. Incorrect.

Having a secure password is all you need something anybody could learn from including ebay.  Some platforms require you to change your password periodically because their own password policies are insecure, for example requiring you to use # characters, with one capital letter, one number, one special character. Instead the longer the better and with a mix of characters.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

I never posited that your password was not secure, I said it’s not good security wise to keep the same password for decades.

I don’t rely on websites, none of which are 100% invulnerable, to keep my accounts secure, I change my passwords every year.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

That is a good practice, I am not sure what a good frequency would be for changing a password, but occasionally doing it there wouldn't be any downsides to it. Websites typically only require such a move if data and maybe part of passwords was leaked online. In this ebay case I am not aware of any ebay hacking event that leaked customer information online, which is another reason they should not be asking you to change the password by relying solely on IP monitoring.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply