cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay fees

Is it me or is Ebay taking way too much in fees? I've been with Ebay on and off for about 12years and it seems like they are taking way too much in fees. On top of that it seems as if they are taking control of my sale. I feel like I used to have more control over what I sell. It's like once someone purchases your item ebay swoops in and handles the sale and you get whatever they figure is yours. They charge shipping and tax not you. After collecting the money they deduct their percent - 12.66% - from your sale price plus deduct tax and shipping even though they've collected the tax and shipping from the customer. That just doesn't seem right to me.

Message 1 of 80
latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

Re: Ebay fees

So that's why they are screwing us and making us pay the shipping even if we charge the customer the shipping? Man that's some **bleep**. 

Message 46 of 80
latest reply

It's not hard to add fees for each area of the country into a website shopping cart. Don't make it sound like eBay is doing us that big of a favor. They pretty much are abusing us just for letting us sell on the site. The only thing they really offer us is the popularity of the website. I think it's better to sell a few things on eBay and add descriptions and links to  your own website where they can purchase other items so that you don't get stuck with fees. 

Message 47 of 80
latest reply

It's not that they are charging fees that bugs me, it's how they are charging them. They are screwing me on the shipping fee because they base their fee on the whole sale amount and it ends up making me pay for the shipping even though I had the customer pay for it, but as someone said above they do this so that we don't abuse the system. So instead they abuse us. 

Message 48 of 80
latest reply

@bejimene-8 wrote:

So that's why they are screwing us and making us pay the shipping even if we charge the customer the shipping? Man that's some **bleep**. 

They’ve been doing that for 10 years.

Message 49 of 80
latest reply

@bejimene-8 wrote:

I agree with this. One thing they are doing that I don't like is charging fees based on the item and the shipping. Then they subtract the shipping from our net sale which ends up making us pay for the shipping. It defeats the purpose of charging the customer the shipping because we end up paying for some of it anyways. I don't think this is right, they should only base their fees on the actually amount we sell our item for. So If I sell something for $100 + $10 shipping they should only charge my fees based on the $100 not the $100+$10 shipping. Makes no sense other than fn us on our money.

Some sellers found a loophole and started charging $10 for the item and $100 for shipping. So 10 years ago, eBay made the change, AND lowered the FVF % to offset it. Like it or don’t, it’s not going to change.

Message 50 of 80
latest reply

@releasethekraken_1 wrote:

@bejimene-8 wrote:

I agree with this. One thing they are doing that I don't like is charging fees based on the item and the shipping. Then they subtract the shipping from our net sale which ends up making us pay for the shipping. It defeats the purpose of charging the customer the shipping because we end up paying for some of it anyways. I don't think this is right, they should only base their fees on the actually amount we sell our item for. So If I sell something for $100 + $10 shipping they should only charge my fees based on the $100 not the $100+$10 shipping. Makes no sense other than fn us on our money.

Some sellers found a loophole and started charging $10 for the item and $100 for shipping. So 10 years ago, eBay made the change, AND lowered the FVF % to offset it. Like it or don’t, it’s not going to change.

Hi, yes, but their system should be smart enough to tell when someone has a $10 item and $50 shipping and then they can charge fees on all of it. I mean their system knows that the customer selects the shipping that they want, not us, so at that point they should be able to know if we are trying to abuse the system. They are just lazy programmers it seems. So now I have to adjust my prices to include shipping even though I'm also making the customer pay for it to try to offset the fee charge or at least make it more fair. 

Message 51 of 80
latest reply

smart enough to tell when someone has a $10 item and $50 shipping and then they can charge fees on all of it.

But the cost of shipping is unrelated to the value of the item shipped.

I can send a second hand copy of The Belgariad to Florida charging $10 for it, and shipping will be at least $13,36 from here in British Columbia.

(Tracked Packet for an item 17x10x4cm weighing 435gr.)

I can send a postage stamp valued at $1400 to the same guy  for the same $13.36  with tracking.  (#132814217964- not my listing, just an example) or for $1.30 if I wanted to forego tracking .

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/information/app/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

And that's ignoring packaging costs and insurance whether postal, third party or Cookie Jar.

And of course, many sellers actually include our shipping costs in our asking prices, calling it Free Shipping, which is a very effective sales technique.

EBay encourages Free Shipping because buyers like it, but it would be a very hard sell to sellers if they were paying FVF on "free" shipping but not on shipping as a line item.

Message 52 of 80
latest reply

@bejimene-8 wrote:

@bejimene-8 

I have found it very interesting as to how many sellers did not realize what fees they were paying before they went into MP.  Therefore they think things are new when they absolutely are not.

ALL sellers have bee paying FVFs on shipping for over 10 years.  Yes we paid it when we were in PayPal too.

Of course the seller pays for the shipping.  You were after all paid by the buyer $10.00 to ship the item.  Why in the world would you think you get to keep the $10 but Ebay has to pay for the shipping??  How does that make sense??  Sellers have ALWAYS paid for shipping since this site started 26+ years ago.  

If the $10 you are charging for shipping isn't enough to cover your shipping fees, that is a different issue and it is a YOU problem, not an Ebay problem.  Seller are responsible for structuring and pricing both their products and their shipping.  When developing your shipping charge you need to take into account what the carrier will charge you, packaging materials, fees, etc.  That is all in the Seller's control.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 53 of 80
latest reply

@bejimene-8 wrote:

@bejimene-8 

So you don't think sellers should pay for shipping BUT should be paid by the buyer to ship the item???

Why is that logical to you?  How is Ebay "screwing" you??

Message 54 of 80
latest reply

@bejimene-8 wrote:

It's not hard to add fees for each area of the country into a website shopping cart. Don't make it sound like eBay is doing us that big of a favor. They pretty much are abusing us just for letting us sell on the site. The only thing they really offer us is the popularity of the website. I think it's better to sell a few things on eBay and add descriptions and links to  your own website where they can purchase other items so that you don't get stuck with fees. 

@bejimene-8 

WHAT?  If that is how you feel about this site, you do not have to sell here.

"The only thing they really offer us is the popularity of the website."  Really, they don't offer your worldwide visibility, a form to create your listings, various tools to make promotions or coupons, the ability to search the site for something, three different types of listings, the ability to add up to 12 pics to your listing, reports, etc. etc. etc.

"I think it's better to sell a few things on eBay and add descriptions and links to  your own website where they can purchase other items so that you don't get stuck with fees."  Until Ebay catches you doing that and starts closing your listings for breaching the selling rules on Ebay.

Message 55 of 80
latest reply

@bejimene-8 wrote:

They’ve been doing that for 10 years.

@releasethekraken_1 

You should read what they have been writing more closely.  They think Ebay should be paying for shipping labels.  Sellers should get the money they charge a buyer for shipping but Ebay should be footing the bill for the carrier costs.

Message 56 of 80
latest reply

@bejimene-8 wrote:

@bejimene-8 wrote:

Hi, yes, but their system should be smart enough to tell when someone has a $10 item and $50 shipping and then they can charge fees on all of it. I mean their system knows that the customer selects the shipping that they want, not us, so at that point they should be able to know if we are trying to abuse the system. They are just lazy programmers it seems. So now I have to adjust my prices to include shipping even though I'm also making the customer pay for it to try to offset the fee charge or at least make it more fair. 

What carrier charges their costs based on the price of the product?  None of them.  It is based on weight.

I use to sell a series of patterns for 99 cents and $3.00 shipping [at the time].  Because the product was not easily found, many, I mean a lot, of buyers use to buy those patterns all the time.  Back prior to 2013 my little business was built on them.

Message 57 of 80
latest reply

I started to sell on ebay since 1999

I just say long goodbye to ebay.

22 years....

the fee is over10% on new payment system

on high value item e.g. camera and lens, it is 100% not work

endup only big chain as amazon can survive......

no more small retailers........

Message 58 of 80
latest reply

Surely you don't believe the FVF on high value items like cameras is 100%.

Not sure what it is, but probably about 12.55%.  The FVF rate does not increase on higher value items.

Message 59 of 80
latest reply

Most likely focusing on the $ value rather than the actual % rate

For someone who has had the amount of sales and been here as long as they have, not sure what fee's are suddenly killing them ?

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 60 of 80
latest reply