cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay dumping on sellers

Ebay needs to find a way to aid sellers, buyers are scamming sellers out of hundred of dollars of product/ items  and there is nothing being done about it! Sellers are at the mercy of fraudulant buyers there is no justice, sellers end up losing money and item, while  the buyers make it,  without negative feedback, and with both, the money and item,    something needs to be done, ebay takes fees from sellers paypal takes fees from sellers but they always take the buyer's side, we're like prostitutes to them. I'm ready to leave ebay, if we all left they'd lose a lot of money, i'm sick of being scammed!

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Ebay dumping on sellers

@thenobletuckylife wrote:

@megadestroyers wrote:

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 1557
Items bid on: 1293
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 0% Help
Bid retractions: 73
Bid retractions (6 months): 81

"Ebay needs to find a way to aid sellers, buyers are scamming sellers out of hundred of dollars of product/ items and there is nothing being done about it!"

Pre-race, so I'll be quick.

BULL SMAZZLE!!  Do I have that right?  The absolute LAST thing any seller needs right now is ebay playing budinski when they themselves have no concrete clues as to how, what they already have in place, works, or doesn't work!  

Two words......BUTT OUT!!  ebay, go fix what you need to fix, then roll over and tap Paypal on the shoulder and whisper softly in their ear that it might be a good idea if they did the same!!!

The above posted numbers were from an "unregistered" seller, who, in spite of these impressive numbers, was still allowed to place a bid on an item.  This was just last night.  Seller had concerns about actually going through with the sale.  In checking this morning, the "unregistered" bidder was "removed" from the item; item sold to someone with far less impressive numbers.

At some point, given ebays own admissions as to their inability to enforce their own policies (usually the excuse given to sellers), and the proof in the pudding example provided above for a buyer as to their total disdain for taking actions against bidders/buyers, at some point ebay is gonna have to allow sellers some non-punative leeway in determing who to sell to or not sell to.  

Some sellers already do, fly right in the face of the "I list/you buy/I must ship regardless" sleepwalkers chant!!  More and more will follow.

COUNTDOWN TO GREEN!

Oh My Mega...you are getting good young Jedi...problem is you used English Version SMAZZLE

You must give it a bit more GUSTO by giving it a Germanian feel...

SCHMAZZLE...   need to pronounce the CH sound in there...try it both ways...I think you will prefer the SCHMAZZLE over the smazzle...LOL

Mr C

Schmazzle is Yiddish,  the Germans got it from the Jewish street language of Europe.

Message 16 of 33
latest reply

Interesting,

Goes to show my Germanian DNA.

I made this word up back in 1999 because my Dutch father-in-law (from the Netherlands) used a word that my son apparently picked very quickly. One day when I came home the boy had hit his finger with that wooden mallet from the fisher price peg bench thing and he let out a word that I was really caught off guard about.

Out of the blue I looked at Mrs C...she said "Dad was here"

I said we can't have this schmazzle! It has been around ever since.

I did just go look up the word and did fine the word schmozzle and interesting enough it is a Jewish/German word meaning mess or chaos. I never knew this.

Mr C
Message 17 of 33
latest reply

how is ebay to know if a return is fradulent?

If buyer did a bait and switch go to your police department and file a complaint and get case number.Forward that to buyers pd and appeal the return w that info and your mail fraud case number.Use report buyer button.

use the blocks ebay has set to their strictest

Buyer requirements

You can set requirements to exclude buyers who:

• Have a shipping address in countries you don't want to ship to
  • Have a negative feedback score
  • Have unpaid item cases
  • May bid on several items and not pay for them
  • Don't have a PayPal account
  • Have violated eBay policies

Add buyer requirements -

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 18 of 33
latest reply

The seller can do all of that and will most likely still lose in the long run; and last time I checked I could not deposit the moral righteousness I feel when blocking and reporting a fraudulent buyer into the bank and pay my bills with it.  

As I stated earlier, it is impossible to eliminate fraud on eBay.  It however can be minimized however that would entail eBay live up to their fiduciary responsibly to enact policies and procedures that protect sellers...and I so absolutely no signs that they care about doing so.  

You mention that sellers have the ability to set CERTAIN buyer requirements.  That's very true but the reality is that they are highly inadequate when addressing the exponential rate of growth we have seen in the amount of fraud over the last few years when eBay changed their returns policy (among other things) to become even substantially more buyer-centric at the expense of sellers.  We were all told by eBay then "Just wait and see..buyers will feel safe on eBay and they will flock here in droves and we'll all benefit!"   I have never seen a post here from sellers thanking eBay for the policies they have created that have grown their sales.  We mostly see people complaining about throttling causing a 30% decline in sales.  There has been little to no growth for most sellers and for the rare exception for sellers who have seen sales growth I sincerely doubt that it would be attributable to eBay policies that "make buyers feel safe" and more to do with them working harder and spending more money on inventory.

Since you brought up buyer requirements....how easy would it be for eBay to have more stringent seller controls where sellers can choose to block buyers who 1) leave more then  x% negatve feedback  2) return more then x% of their products and 3) have been blocked and reported by more then x% of the people they have conducted transactions wth.  But eBay refuses to do something as simple as this that a high school kid who knows how to do basic coding could probably get done in a few hours.  

Fraud can not be eliminated.  Without a doubt it is something that sellers have to expect from time to time.  But in eBay world that time is ALWAYS!  And it should not be that way.  Sellers have to have realistic expectations and the overwhelming majority of them that I know do.  eBay has to honor their fiduciary responsibility to enact policies and procedures that help minimize fraud and they are completely failing to do so.  

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

Honestly, there's really not much eBay can do. Protecting against this type of fraud is on the seller. Occasionally I sell an item that may be a prime target for a switch. I photograph the item Im sending (little but some protection) and if possible I mark it (motherboards for example). Motherboards are a PRIME target, high price, identical to the one they're replacing. If I receive a switched item, I report to eBay. However, this has only happened once with hundreds of motherboards Ive sold and surprisingly, eBay ruled in my favor. GASP, I know. I had already chalked it up to the cost of doing business.

Message 20 of 33
latest reply

I had a buyer once contact me to say that they received an "empty box."  I ship about 50 tems a day so over the course of 8 years that has amounted to more then 100,000 shipments.  Never in that time had a buyer say that they received an empty box from us.  We have mistakingly 2 customer orders up and have sent a size large ___ when we were supposed to send an XL.  But we have never shipped a customer an empty box.

So I looked at this buyer's FB they have left for others.  Out of the 31 left, 26 were either negative or revised to positive.  I know this does not PROVE that we sent them their item.  But it would be utterly impossible for me to prove it.  I'm a TRS seller with over 100,000 shipments have a 99.7% +FB rating in apparel (which is a very difficult category to compete in) and they buyer who left 26 negatives w/ a highly suspicious number of revisions is claiming they received an empty box...who are you going to believe???

So we refunded the buyer as it wasn't that much money as I knew we couldn't win on eBay and we blocked and reported them just as we were supposed to.  I contacted about 10-12 of the sellers he did business with and they too had highly suspicious stories to tell.  Half wrote back and said they too blocked and reported the buyer.  So here are 6 people of the 10-12 people I contacted who wrote back and told me they too reported the buyer yet eBay's Trust & Safety hasn't bothered to see a pattern with that many reports and 26/31 -FB???  What does it take for them to protect sellers.  

This is precisely why eBay CAN AND SHOULD do precisely what I suggested and let sellers set up more stringent buyer requirements.  I would love to be able to block buyers who have been reported by more then 30% of their sellers.   When they block a buyer they are effectively  saying "that buyer is just not worth doing business with. "  Sellers are here to make money and there is a reason they don't want that buyer's money.   And it should be entirely up to the seller whether or not they want to set these requirements.  We should be able to opt in or out and alter our requirements as we see fit.

eBay doesn't want to do it because it will cause a drop in sales.  They don't care if the seller gets screwed...it isn't eBay's money!!!    There is plenty they can do; they just have an active dis-incentive to do so.

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

Here is how idiotic eBay's policy is, let's say you sold someone a Corvette sports car and the guy returned a Corvette Hot Wheels car, then eBay makes the refund...

This is exactly how silly many of these stories are that eBay falls for thousands of times per day..............

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

We have heard the same thing from Ebay. That we should accept basically being scammed as that is the price of doing business. Pretty much came unglued at that moment and explained that they need to aid and empower the scammers. Even when you have the emails to prove that you are in the right Ebay gives you the shaft.
Message 23 of 33
latest reply

Because they think their MBG is golden man, since it is not their money or goods they are giving away........

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

What I find comical is that you are all still selling here. Plus you have all these great ideas - many I agree with - but the only place you gripe about it is on the boards. You aren't in weakly chat detailing your experiences, you aren't calling Trust and Safety and complaining everyday - you aren't contacting the news media to see if they would like to do a story on it - no - but you're here everyday complaining about the same things over and over again. That's not constructive and won't change anything.

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

File a police report on ebay and they will refund you.  I had to do it once a few months ago.

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

Yikes.....
Message 27 of 33
latest reply

i got smart on ebay i was trowen off selling dvds cause they said i recieved to many complaints i have 19 bad reviews out of 14,000 sales i think they threw me off cause i fight every return if its a scammer i only had 44 returns and i fought 23 of them and lost every one when the customer returned a empty package no i sell on ebid.net because they protect the seller and make the customer pay the return shipping not like ebay says buyer pays return **bleep** to that

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

Were tired of nothing bieng done also.  Best regards

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

@drscycleworks wrote:
We have heard the same thing from Ebay. That we should accept basically being scammed as that is the price of doing business. Pretty much came unglued at that moment and explained that they need to aid and empower the scammers. Even when you have the emails to prove that you are in the right Ebay gives you the shaft.

With all due respect, I think you mean they need to STOP aiding and empowering the scammers!  Smiley Surprised

Message 30 of 33
latest reply