cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay closing my appeals to a case in which a buyer blatantly scammed me. I did everything right...

I've been pulling my hair out trying to resolve this issue with eBay for weeks. Sold an iPhone in excellent condition a few weeks back. Out of nowhere I receive a return request from the buyer saying the item was defective. I tried to reach out to the buyer multiple times, with no response. Later, I notice that the image they attached with the return request was a blurry image that was obviously not the phone I sold to them. Immediately, I start thinking that this person is going to send me a different phone. I listed no returns for this. item, but after much research I realized that I basically have no option but to accept the return. I reach out to eBay customer service, explain my suspicions of this buyer trying to scam me. They give me the necessary actions to take - basically say to accept the return, provide the shipping label, and if I don't receive my item back, or if it is damaged, then eBay will reimburse me under my "Seller Protections". I accept the return, pay for the shipping label THROUGH eBay, and await the return of the phone. I see the item is out for delivery one moment, and the next, it says "delivered as undeliverable". I contact USPS, open up a claim with them, and contact eBay. Meanwhile, eBay releases the funds for return to the buyer, and charges my card for the return, even though I never received the item. They basically say that a delivery attempt, even though it is undeliverable, is still a successful return in the eyes of eBay... which is total bull. Fast forward past multiple calls, and hours and hours of discussion with customer service reps, I finally get notice on my USPS claim. Turns out, the tracking # provided is associated with some random business address building within my same city. This is the same tracking number that I have on record that I purchased from eBay. Now it is clear to me that the buyer somehow altered the shipping label, probably sent and empty box or didn't send anything at all, and changed the address return knowing it was wrong so he could keep the phone and get his refund. I provided EVIDENCE in the form of an email statement from the USPS employee that the tracking number is associated with a different address. After multiple calls with the escalation team, I've been told that they have sent a request to back-office team to appeal this decision, and that I would be notified 24-72 hours. This is the 3rd attempt appealing the decision, and they just deny it without any notice or reasoning to me. At this point, I don't know how to get eBay's attention other than pursuing legal action. I cant get transferred or speak to anyone with the actual power to rectify thing. It could not have been more obvious that the buyer is a scammer, and I could have not made it ANY EASIER for eBay to anticipate this issue. Any advice on how I can resolve this?
Message 1 of 70
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Ebay closing my appeals to a case in which a buyer blatantly scammed me. I did everything right...

Here is what I would do:

Documents:
  Letter from the post office;

Report from police department (your local and buyer's local), IC3, USPIS, (FCC);

If the buyer lives in US, you can report them to IRS if you want (stolen goods need be taxed, too);

With the letter from post office and police report, appeal again;
If appeal fails, try BBB or state attoney;
If BBB fails, try notice of dispute or arbitration or small claims court.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 40 of 70
latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

Yes, this is a common scam where the scammer sends a cheap item with an adulterated return label. Give me a second and I'll post the information and steps you'll need to take to appeal this case with Ebay and get your money back.

Message 2 of 70
latest reply

@mudshark61369 This is mudsharks method to combat altered return label scam.

@mudshark61369 method below

You have been the victim of a fake tracking scam, the seller sends something, an envelope or small box with tracking to a different address, and uses the Delivered scan to win an Item Not Received (INR) dispute.  eBay's automated INR system is not allowed access to anything but the scan information, due to shipping company's privacy policies.  When you file a dispute and lose in the message there should  be an appeal button.  You have 30 days from losing the dispute to appeal, but in order to win you have to do some leg work.

You will have to go to your P.O. or  a local UPS-FedEx store.  You need to bring a copy of your order details page which shows your address and the tracking number with you. If you bought using a phone or tablet, you can bring that to show the clerk the order details.

You want to ask the clerk to check the label address against yours, and also to check the Package type/size weight info to see if was is appropriate for what you should have received.  If the info does not match up, you ask the clerk to write a note on Company stationary saying in general that the shipping label's address was not yours, and if applicable that the package type/size/weight was not right for what you should have received.  In your case have them also say the name on the address wasn't yours either.  Do not ask for specific address or package info, they cannot give it out.  Have the clerk sign and date the note.

Once you have the note, you can appeal the dispute ruling, or contact ebay through their Facebook or Twitter social media pages. (links below) You can write out what happened and what you found out, and add a CLEAR photo or a scan of the note to an appeal or message.  If you go the social media route which is recommended, because the reps know about the fake tracking scams you will need to have the seller's username and the ebay item number. At the end of your message give them your real and ebay username.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

https://twitter.com/askebay

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/appeal-ebays-decision-return-missing-item-buyers?id...

Message 3 of 70
latest reply

I'm curious, did you ship it to Miami and the return tracking originated in New York ?

Message 4 of 70
latest reply

@bbsy1 

So very sorry for your situation.  We read about these types of scams daily here on this forum.  The only thing I can advise is to STOP contacting eBay customer service.  They are outsourced agents who are based overseas and have no say, no pull & basically tell you what you want to hear.  They are famous for giving false and incorrect info and they also read from scripts.  Go to this link I'm providing for you:

https://www.facebook.com/ebayForBusiness/

These are US CS agents who are actual employees of eBay and can perhaps assist you with your situation at hand.  Many positive posts with their ability to be helpful.  Please reach out as soon as you can and tell them what you are posting here on the forum.

I wish you good luck and a positive outcome. 

Message 5 of 70
latest reply

You explained the Scam very well and that is exactly how it is done.

Based on what you stated that eBay gave a refund on your behalf because an attempted delivery was made to the wrong address.

When eBay makes the wrong decision the decision can be overturned in favor of the customer.  You need to prove that the Tracking Number with the attempted delivery was not to your address.  See if you local Post Office will give you something in writing  stating the item was not attempted to be delivered to your address.

It is unfortunate that eBay does not look into the satiation further when a seller complains of this scam.   Why not put the refund on hold a few days and verify what that Tracking Number is for?

There must be so many scams going on that it is cheaper for eBay to reimburse the few people who push the issue then it is to investigate every complaint they receive.  I would imagine a certain amount of people accept the Finial Decision and do not pursue the matter any further.

Message 6 of 70
latest reply

Yes!! Is that common for these tracking scams? The buyer had like 8 positive feedbacks so I assumed everything was alright, but turns out it wasnt. 

Message 7 of 70
latest reply

Thank you so much for the detailed solution! The only issue I have with the steps give is that the "Order details" page only shows the tracking number and the recipient address. It does not show my return address. When I attempt to view the return details for more information, it says "This return is closed" and fails to give me any further information. Even the eBay customer service reps have been unable to retrieve my original return address associated with the tracking number. They say that information is obscured from them. Any ideas on what I should do in this case? 

Message 8 of 70
latest reply

Thank you very much, I really appreciate the info and well wishes!

Message 9 of 70
latest reply

Firstly, thank you so much for your detailed answer, I really appreciate it! I completely agree on reimbursing vs the investigation route... Considering I've been with this eBay seller account for 17+ years and have 100% positive feedback, meanwhile the buyer only has 8 positive feedback over a shorter period of time. I'm at the point where a simple refund will not make up for the time and effort I've put into resolving this issue. But considering eBays track record for seller customer service, I'm not holding my breath for them to make up for my time and efforts.

The problem is eBay is obscuring any information in regards to the return shipping label. From the post office's eyes, they can only see the address that the tracking number is associated with, not what it was originally associated with (my correct return address). Ebay is unable to tell me the address the shipping label was associated with, even though I purchased the shipping label through ebay, which had my shipping address initially. 

Other things to mention: I've reported this buyer twice, with no action taken on ebay's part. 

Message 10 of 70
latest reply

I would file a fraud report with USPS and show them the original return label and let them investigate and track.

Message 11 of 70
latest reply

@bbsy1 wrote:

From the post office's eyes, they can only see the address that the tracking number is associated with, not what it was originally associated with (my correct return address). 

I think that is your proof. 

The whole thing is retuning an item to the wrong address is not a return.

Did you issue a return label thru eBay?  Part of the scam is not to use the return label you issued.  They purchase a return label to send something of little value to somewhere within your same Zip Code.  This is where eBay fails to determine if the item has been return.  They just see same Zip as yours and decide you have received the item back.  This is why eBay will accept responsibility if you prove this to them.

See if this link will take you to your sales.  If it does click on View Order Details.  This will provide you with the Tracking Number that was input into eBay and it will show you the address of where it was sent.

https://www.ebay.com/sh/ord?filter=status:ALL_ORDERS

As for your return address it is in your account details.

See it this will take you to your shipping labels purchased on eBay.  

https://www.ebay.com/ship/labels/seller-hub

Message 12 of 70
latest reply

Was helping someone here. Also added links to some other posts in that thread. Has a lot of advice in those.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping/Scam/m-p/33987467/highlight/true#M456924

Freight forwarders are common for scammers, but what connected them was the return originating in New York.

Message 13 of 70
latest reply

Yes, I did issue a return label through eBay. The bizzare part is the tracking number never changed... but the address associated with it did... as far as my understanding. According to the Ebay CS rep, the tracking number is the same as the one I provided. Although I'm not sure how they are able to tell me that, but cant provide me a record of my purchased return label and the address associated with it. 

Message 14 of 70
latest reply

Unfortunately those links only show the initial tracking number from the sale, not the return 
😞

Message 15 of 70
latest reply