cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay charging sellers fee's on taxes collected when is enough?

I sold an item for $88.00 plus 10.65 shipping.

Ebay charged me Ebay fees on the $88.00, on the $10.65, plus they charged me fees on the sales tax the buyer paid of 6.16 plus there .30 cents. Total fees of $13.45

My question to all sellers, if your not aware of this scam by Ebay, look at the fee's they are taking.

Its bad enough we as sellers are paying actual shipping and Ebay takes there fees from shipping but now they are basically doing double taxation. Taxing the buyer sales tax and charging the seller for the sales tax by additional fees.

I hope some lawyer out there sees this. It seems very shady and greedy. Double taxation.

Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

People, people, people. Please read the clearly listed fees section in the help. 

Yes, processing fees are charged on sales + shipping + tax. This is not new. Paypal and every other payment processor out there charges fees on the TOTAL and has done so for a LONG time. 

And charging processing fees on tax is not double taxation. Charging tax on tax, now that's double. 

Message 2 of 69
latest reply

The fee is on the total buyer pays no different than when paypal was the payment processor though their fee was less

Add a handling fee to you start /buy it now price or shipping charged to cover this and all your overhead

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 3 of 69
latest reply

Double taxation.

@karens-outlet 

^^^ Uh, no. You're paying the Final Value Fee on the buyer's sales tax... not being taxed on the buyer's sales tax.

Message 4 of 69
latest reply

It is not a scam by any means at all. If you would rather save the few pennies per transaction and have to keep track of all the states that you collect tax from, the amounts and then remit them on a quarterly basis then be my guest. If a few cents per transaction is hurting you then you either need to find a new business model, source better items or source items at a lower cost. Also, this was clearly all lined out in eBay's terms and conditions when you accepted them prior to listing and selling on eBay.

Message 5 of 69
latest reply

thats insane. The buyer is being taxed on the items purchased.

The seller should not be paying fee's on state tax that was collected from buyer

That is greed

Message 6 of 69
latest reply

That is not true. Mercari does not charge sellers on shipping or sales tax collected from buyer.

I will look at Poshmark to see what they charge.

Message 7 of 69
latest reply

Wow you must work for Ebay.

Message 8 of 69
latest reply

@karens-outlet wrote:

thats insane. The buyer is being taxed on the items purchased.

The seller should not be paying fee's on state tax that was collected from buyer

That is greed

@karens-outlet 

So, you'd like to do your own bookkeeping, as @laststopgeneralstore explains? I don't think eBay will make an exception for you, should you reach out. You'll probably be treated as all sellers are, as explained in the TOS. 

Message 9 of 69
latest reply

413.45 is spot on correct.  What is the issue.  You agreed to the terms when you started selling on eBay.  It looks like you sell infrequently and time will change everything if you don't keep up on Announcements. 

The Hula Hoop Craze in the late 50s  only last about 3 years and the price was much lower at the end than at the start.. had acne when that began and a Wham- O Hula Hoop.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 10 of 69
latest reply

I would much rather not have to keep track on all of the sales tax for every state that collects it and then have to remit it on a quarterly basis. Also, eBay is not the only one that does this. American Express, Capitol One, Wells Fargo. When you swipe a credit card at a store, for example lets use AMEX. When you swipe your AMEX credit card at a gas station, AMEX then charges their merchant fee to the merchant(gas station) which is the total sale including tax so good luck trying to get a lawsuit going as this has been going on for longer than you've probably been alive.

Message 11 of 69
latest reply

You all have missed the point. I have 3 sites on Ebay. I have sold on Ebay for over 25 years as a hobby of sorts.

My point has been missed. As a seller we are paying final fees on items sold, if we charge shipping we are being billed fees for shipping even if it was the actual amount , now they charge fees on taxes collected.

By the time one gets done we lose about 20% just to fee's while the fat cats at the top draw million dollar salarys off the sellers backs.

Im sorry but for me I think Ebay has gotten a bit greedy.  If you go to a brick and morter store and purchase item you pay the tax, the store doesnt charge the buyer additional money because they collected the tax.

its just part of the sale. 

this might seem like just a small amount but add it up over a year, see how much it comes to.

I can see from the comments you all just roll with it, dont question it just accept it.

I can not just accept without questioning. 

Message 12 of 69
latest reply

@karens-outlet wrote:

this might seem like just a small amount but add it up over a year, see how much it comes to.

I can see from the comments you all just roll with it, dont question it just accept it.

I can not just accept without questioning. 

We aren't missing the point. We understand perfectly that ebay is charging 12.55% on shipping and the sales tax. Most of us just decided to roll with it. If that makes us rolling over and playing dead...so be it. The ones that can't roll with it threaten to leave (and a year later still selling here or came back because those other places...well...aren't ebay) and a select few actually do leave.

Do you REALLY want to send sales tax money to 50 states? That 12.55% that ebay charges is the cheapest bookkeeper I could hire to send out those taxes.

If someone did actually sue ebay for those fees on sales tax and won...I wonder if ebay would still send in the tax money for us? I prefer not to find out.

It's great that Mercari doesn't charge a fee on sales tax. Go over there and sell. I've heard the grass is greener on the other side.

Mike

Firesteel Surplus

Message 13 of 69
latest reply

Again you have missed the point. 

Message 14 of 69
latest reply

and?????????

Most selling venues charge their fees on TOTAL amount of the transaction including price of item, shipping,applicable taxes,etc.

Know the rules of the game before playing!

Message 15 of 69
latest reply