cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay back at it with item specifics that MAKE NO SENSE! Enough is enough!

Got up this morning to find another 30 listings that eBay moved from the right categories to some new category that require us to refill 10 or more item specific boxes. I have spent the last 9 months (on and off) having to redo all of our books due to mandatory changes, adding the letters n/a or the words none  or the number 0 to these item specific boxes because the specifics eBay demands of us have nothing to do with what we are selling. This has been like a slow drip drip drip of  water torture- we won't be spending any more time filling in these **bleep** boxes. All the time wasted could have been used to write new entries and sell more items, but eBay's constant hoop-jumping exercises have gone on for too long . Stop using a sledgehammer to kill a flea- you are making work for us sellers with no possible benefit to us or 99.9% of our potential buyers! Today is the last day I will add these specifics when your computer's algorithms tell us to change something.

The dumbest one today? eBay moved  a set of replacement percolator style coffee pot glass toppers from coffee pots to glass and ceramic serving bowls! 

Enough is enough! Stop wasting your seller's valuable time doing unnecessary work when we could be adding more items to make both of us more money! 

Roadypig 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

I just tried to BULK edit, the new update Item Specifics, on 50 items currently listed(one page of my total listings)....eBay tried to charge me $8.75 for the bulk edit....what???...I did NOT update them- I backed out of the page...Sorry...eBay....$8.75....NO WAY !

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

jeanande
Adventurer

As a buyer and collector, I gave up tonight looking for my specific stuff, my categories have disappeared.  I have no interest or patience scrolling through a bunch of junk to separate the wheat from the chaff.  

You know, if I needed a replacement item for something after market, I would look on here first.  Now I won't be able to find what I needed.  In fact, I HAVE found replacement items on here before.  I think they want to lose both buyers and sellers.

There's a reason why I hardly shop on Etsy, you can't narrow anything down on there, way too broad and can't deal with it.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

This unnecessary change of categories is ridiculous!! As a vintage jewelry seller, I know that my customers like to scroll through the category for what's come in new. All of my categories are gone - Bakelite & Plastics, Victorian jewelry, Designer signed costume, Signed sterling jewelry, Scandinavian, the list goes on. Now it's just generic bracelets and charms or antique pins. I called last night to complain and also the night before. PLEASE!! I encourage all of you to do the same. If enough of us call, they sometimes listen and change things back.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

I was fed up earlier in the day when all my old postcards were affected by this. I don't have time to update all the item specs fields so in frustration I ended all my postcard listings and won't put them up again. Now item specifics in other categories are totally wrong. Its telling me my topic is SPACE for other items when it clearly isn't. Worse is I found it was auto changing the item specific Topic to SPACE. This is totally wrong. Worse is I did a search on ebay for stuff like I sell and the results came up with instant noodle packets, seriously ebay your ruining the search filters and buyers won't be able to find the items they want.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

According to eBays latest update: All will be normal by 10/15 - not long now

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Looking at the time you posted..........Thurs. nite is maintenance nite so I think perhaps some of the problems you encountered are related to that, as the site goes wonky during those times. 

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

That would be great, but when I check my list for item specifics needed listings we now have 28 that need updating (some need as many as 28 item specifics- this is because they changed the category and erased EVERYTHING we had already filled in the boxes). Nope- eBay hasn't "fixed" the problem. Just making things worse. Like I said -using a sledgehammer to kill a flea...

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Please send me the link to this update that you are reading!!

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@deja--voodoo wrote:

Please send me the link to this update that you are reading!!

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Updates-are-happening-to-some-item-specifics-and-category/m-p/...

Last update 14 October in OP

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

This is not about maintenance. The category selections have been completely changed. Some youngster in some development department has no clue as to how vintage items are sold and decided to try to fit them together in a Walmart type of fashion

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@deja--voodoo wrote:

This is not about maintenance. The category selections have been completely changed. Some youngster in some development department has no clue as to how vintage items are sold and decided to try to fit them together in a Walmart type of fashion

Guess you missed my post

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Updates-are-happening-to-some-item-specifics-and-category/m-p/...

Last update 14 October in OP

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

today is the 15th not fixed in fact getting worse every day.  I found I can move my item to meruri and relist there faster than I can fill in all of the item specifics asked for by ebay. Time is money, and ebay ahs become a total waste of time. 

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

I am looking at the link now and see nothing about how it will be fixed. They are not saying that they are returning to the old categories. I'm wondering how you interpret this as it all being fixed? Not trying to sound snarky, just wondering what I'm missing. Thank you.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

The updates is what has been causing the glitches board wide - a LOT more than just the categories involved have been glitching out.........

And if I am honest, I was being a bit snarky - as in eBay ''assures us'' it will all be back to normal on 10/15

Hey it is only 9.00am so they have till the end of the day 

Message 15 of 21
latest reply