cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay always sides for buyers favor

Buyer claims I sent an empty box. At first Ebay decided on my favor, Then their "backroom" decided in the buyers favor because he filed a police report. I try to appeal case but they simply won’t let me appeal. When I asked why did you decided with the buyer, Ebay said he appealed it, OK I appeal it too, no I cannot,

Wow, I lost the watch and the money, thank you Ebay.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Is typical

He Said/She Said must go to the buyer. They are out money and you had their money. A police report could mean that any stop along the way the item could have been removed/stolen but all of that is on the Seller and not on the Buyer. Just part of doing business. 

Hopefully it was one of your $40 watches and not one of the $500 ones? 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Your complaint is like DeJa'Vu all over again........Seems like one everyday shows up on the boards. The new twist here is that there was nothing in the box, normally it's a cheap item that was not ordered.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Filing a false police report is a felony, lying on an eBay claim is not. if a buyer has a valid police report they have much more credibility.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I can tell you as a person whose family has sold on eBay for 22 years. They are TERRIBLE. All an unscrupulous person has to do is buy something and then tell eBay there’s an issue with it, no matter what the true facts are an eBay will zap the money into a hold account and always side with the buyer, no matter what. Or at least 95% of the time or more.  Yes they make them send items back but most of the time then you’re just out more money paying for return shipping. Sometimes that’s not worth it unless it’s an expensive item.  I have had items with videos, showing exactly what the person was buying and that the item worked perfectly and still eBay let a buyer file for return despite me not offering returns.  They just force you into whatever they want.  You have zero options and zero freedom.  If you want to sell, I would recommend getting your own website.  eBay is crap compared to what it was in like 1999. Yes, there is far more people on it now but with that comes so many more scammers and just crappy buyers.  Buyers that don’t read the description and then get mad when the item arrives exactly in the condition you explained in the descriptio. Anymore, I only sell things on here that won’t sell quickly or easily somewhere else and I’m getting close to stopping that entirely.  Having your own space to sell is much better. You just have to get the traffic to it. Which is a battle but after years of fighting eBay, it’s worth it.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Yes, when it's a buyers word against a sellers word, ebay usually sides with the buyer.

Makes perfect sense.

Could you imagine of ebay always sided with the seller?

That would be really bad for business.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

You handled this all wrong. The second these scam buyers open a case like this, I tell them they either back off and close the case, or get reported for mail fraud, and I remind them its a federal crime. This usually does the trick and the case is magically closed.

The US Postal Service will take the word of long time merchants over consumers hands down. They've prosecuted buyers on my behalf in the past, and I ultimately got my money back thru court ordered restitution.

Your buyer claimed they received an empty box, but USPS records the package weight upon delivery. You can get a print out from your local post office that shows what the recorded weight was upon delivery.

If you haven't filed a mail fraud report I would be doing so now. Likewise, if you used any third-party courier like Fed Ex or UPS, USPS wont help and state its a civil matter. This is why I ship with nothing other than USPS.

You can also file a police report. They typically will forward the report to the police department in the buyer's city. In one case, the police stated the buyer in question had too many prior convictions for fraud and theft, had multiple complaints from other ebay sellers, and stated they had probable cause to arrest them as a result.

While ebay just allows scammers to fleece their sellers, there are still things you can do to defend yourself in such situations.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

A local postal employee was just arrested for stealing items out of ebay packages. Had been doing it for at least 2 years. Can happen. If it is you can only hope that many buyers in the area (not from you!) file police reports so they start looking harder. Alas, you are probably SOL.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply