cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay admits recent changes are so your products/listings don't get found/viewed.

We have been questioning ebay recently about the lack of listings products getting found, or seen anymore at all, etc. Here's what they stated today: 

The drop in views is the experience a lot of sellers because eBay recently updated the technology in May behind how page views are counted to filter out of various types of automated traffic on listings.

We've implemented new technology that provides improved non-human/bot traffic filtering. Since bot traffic on the Internet is huge, ongoing page view counts will likely decrease.

If the above is true, most of us can not survive here with that. Whoever is making these changes is ruining it for sellers and ebay will not survive either very long. Whatever they did last month is just terrible and should have everyone here pretty upset. 
Message 1 of 66
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Ebay admits recent changes are so your products/listings don't get found/viewed.

@norskmediashop wrote:

We have been questioning ebay recently about the lack of listings products getting found, or seen anymore at all, etc. Here's what they stated today: 

The drop in views is the experience a lot of sellers because eBay recently updated the technology in May behind how page views are counted to filter out of various types of automated traffic on listings.

We've implemented new technology that provides improved non-human/bot traffic filtering. Since bot traffic on the Internet is huge, ongoing page view counts will likely decrease.

If the above is true, most of us can not survive here with that. Whoever is making these changes is ruining it for sellers and ebay will not survive either very long. Whatever they did last month is just terrible and should have everyone here pretty upset. 

All that says is that they are counting them differently. It does not say they are stopping anyone from seeing the listings; just that they are filtering out the non-human visits from being counted

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 66
latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

There is a difference between stopping the bots and stopping counting the bots. Two different things. I don't see how not counting them is affecting quality sales. A person buys or he doesn't, completely without caring whether a bot is looking on.

Message 2 of 66
latest reply

I think if I understand it right, the changes they made are hindering items from being found or seen at all by protentional buyers, bots or not. Sales are one thing, but the fact listings and products aren't even being seen is a problem. It use be newer listed items always had views at least, but since they made those changes the majority are getting 0 views, which never use to be a problem. There have been plenty of other complaints about this across these forums. 

Message 3 of 66
latest reply

@norskmediashop wrote:

All that says is that they are counting them differently. It does not say they are stopping anyone from seeing the listings; just that they are filtering out the non-human visits from being counted

Message 4 of 66
latest reply

Bot views are not real views. Your actual number of real human views has not changed, you are now simply seeing what they actually are WITHOUT the bot views added in.

Message 5 of 66
latest reply

All that has stopped is bot/non-organic views are not being counted in your tally - that's all.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 6 of 66
latest reply

As I posted in the other thread where you made the same statement, the ONLY thing that has changed is how views are being counted.  That's all.  No changes to visibility.  The bots are still there.  Nothing else is different.   Why would we suddenly not be able to survive?  I am surviving just fine.  It IS depressing to see the low number views, but my sales have not been affected at all. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 7 of 66
latest reply

This is like counting sheep-bots, right?

Message 8 of 66
latest reply

Whatever they did last month is just terrible and should have everyone here pretty upset.”

I am not upset, because my items are still getting views. Perhaps not as many, but i don’t really put much stock in these numbers. All i need is just one—the one who buys it.

Message 9 of 66
latest reply

They changed how views are counted. 

I for one am not upset because of the removal of bots, it hasn't affected my sales at all. 

Message 10 of 66
latest reply

As soon as you forget what the old fake view counts were then this will stop being an issue. If anything it actually lets you know what no real human being is clicking on as a lot of titles can get bots excited but won't ever entice a real human.

Message 11 of 66
latest reply

I’m up $2000 this month over last year, so this is not at all accurate.  

Message 12 of 66
latest reply

Along with the changes in views is also the feature that I find quite useful - a 90-day look-back.  It's easier to get a quick snapshot of engagement of a particular listing.  All the noise of bot views, etc., would drown out any relevant organic views and what they might tell us as to how a listing is faring.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 66
latest reply

You misread the whole statement. Please do not start conspiracies' as Ebay never mentioned anything about your items not getting views.

Message 14 of 66
latest reply

Maybe when A I is fully developed the  "bots" will be issued a credit card and checking account and start on line shopping.  Understand Goggle is  working on bots with "human like" emotions - shopping has to  be next..

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 15 of 66
latest reply