cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Community - RISE UP - Stop profiting off this crisis and HELP

The Ebay community has tried to always be one of support, encouragement, and help.  The sellers who are selling toilet paper for outrageous prices do not reflect the values of this selling platform.  Lives are being lost, people are fighting to live, older adults are concerned if not fearful and people are profiting off the luxury of toilet paper when some countries hit with this virus will lose massive amounts of population because of lack of medical resources!  To the sellers who see profiting from this crisis as the path to easy money, please do not call yourself an Ebayer, and please do not call yourself an American.  Our leaders are calling on us all to work together to fight this.  If you are selling needed items for profit, you have over-purchased and limited the supply  - at a fair price - of what others need.  I hope you will see your greed for what it is...  it certainly does not reveal compassion, cooperation, or integrity.

If I could file "cease and desist" orders for all of you, I would do so.  But my mind is on other things. like my mother, my friend with ALS, and a fragile four year old who are all at high risk for this virus due to suppressed immune systems.  

Today is a sad day for the Ebay "community."   

Message 1 of 65
latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

My sense is that you're preaching to the choir. I don't imagine people trying to sell TP for $32,000 a roll are here to find out what people think about them. From what I can tell, almost everyone agrees with you. The "free market" crowd had some words in the beginning but they seem silent now. Maybe by now they've all seen news stories about why price gouging is "bad".

Message 2 of 65
latest reply

I have actually messaged a few sellers myself.  Three have responded back.  One selling 12 rolls for $44.99 said, "You can buy from your local supplier. Thanks."  If we all message them, perhaps the push-back from within the community would give them "pause."  This platform needs to remain one that reflects the ethical values and business practices.  Price-gouging is NOT a reflection on the rest of Ebay and the Ebay community standards...

I encourage everyone who is disgusted by this to please message the sellers directly.  Give them some perspective....

Message 3 of 65
latest reply

@bbingo wrote:

The sellers who are selling toilet paper for outrageous prices do not reflect the values of this selling platform.

A lot of people agree with you, but the chance any of those sellers seeing any of these complaints is pretty slim.

Ebay is working on removing those listings, but it takes a little time.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.
Message 4 of 65
latest reply

Price gouging is illegal for necessary items during a state of emergency...  And, my friends, we are IN A STATE OF EMERGENCY.

https://www.cbs19news.com/story/41889526/emergency-declaration-activates-antiprice-gouging-law

Message 5 of 65
latest reply

I don't even look at those listings. Why waste my time when there's better things to do? My family & close friends are more important than those ridiculous listings. If your mind is on your family, stop looking at the toilet paper listings altogether.

Message 6 of 65
latest reply

@bbingo wrote:

Price gouging is illegal for necessary items during a state of emergency... 

Yes we know. Every 5th topic here is about price gouging. Ebay is removing listings for various items altogether, including things like hand sanitizer and TP (I believe), and I'm hoping we don't get to the point in this society where we all start to realize TP is not a necessity. I know, I can hear the screams now...but mark my words. 

Message 7 of 65
latest reply

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but the harsh reality is that people will do what they want regardless of what anyone else says. Running around telling bad sellers to stop ripping people off is like telling drug dealers to stop selling drugs, neither cares what you think or how you feel.

Likewise, this is ebay's problem, not ours.

Here's one I just found a minute ago. Notice this isn't a BIN listing, its an auction, people are not being gouged, they are bidding on their own terms.

angel-soft-3.png

Here's the same listing 4 minutes later:

angel-soft-4.png

Again, not price gouging, the sellers did absolutely nothing wrong. They put this up on auction, and the buyers determined the price.

Message 8 of 65
latest reply

I agree.  Part of the reason these listings anger me is my son is in the military and willing to lay down his life for these gouging sellers.  He is stationed in Texas and guess what he has not been able to purchase?  Toilet paper.  He says this is not a necessity...  

Message 9 of 65
latest reply

@andrew547 wrote:

@bbingo wrote:

Price gouging is illegal for necessary items during a state of emergency... 

Yes we know. Every 5th topic here is about price gouging. Ebay is removing listings for various items altogether, including things like hand sanitizer and TP (I believe), and I'm hoping we don't get to the point in this society where we all start to realize TP is not a necessity. I know, I can hear the screams now...but mark my words.

Only every fifth?!  Feels like every other! 😳 

Though I don't think this is going to change society's view on TP - we've got a minority of people, generally poorly informed, going crazy, and then the usual hucksters trying for that market (also going crazy) - it's impacting everyone else who are simply trying to buy TP but are probably more exasperated than anything else and just want some TP or they'll have to use coffee filters (more expensive). 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 65
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but the harsh reality is that people will do what they want regardless of what anyone else says. Running around telling bad sellers to stop ripping people off is like telling drug dealers to stop selling drugs, neither cares what you think or how you feel.

Likewise, this is ebay's problem, not ours.

Here's one I just found a minute ago. Notice this isn't a BIN listing, its an auction, people are not being gouged, they are bidding on their own terms.

angel-soft-3.png

Here's the same listing 4 minutes later:

angel-soft-4.png

Again, not price gouging, the sellers did absolutely nothing wrong. They put this up on auction, and the buyers determined the price.

Respectfully, I honestly believe the sellers are expecting bids to be unreal because of the fear and hysteria in our nation right now.  If it isn't in your city, be thankful.  Supply and demand, I get it.  But I think it is a flimsy curtain to hide behind ethically.

Message 11 of 65
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

You really should be careful to not spread false information on this. We are, in fact, in a state of emergency and this is price gouging. Here is the wording from CA Penal Code Section 396:

"...it is unlawful for a person, contractor, business, or other entity to sell or offer to sell any consumer food items or goods, goods or services...yada yada...for a price of more than 10 percent greater than the price charged by that person for those goods or services immediately prior to the proclamation or declaration of emergency." 

What you said is false in California and likely false in every other state.

Message 12 of 65
latest reply

It doesn't matter what the seller expects, again they did nothing wrong. If someone puts something up for auction, its up to buyers to determine where the bidding ends. In that case, you probably should be mad at the buyers, its their fault the price soared so high.

Message 13 of 65
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

It doesn't matter what the seller expects, again they did nothing wrong. If someone puts something up for auction, its up to buyers to determine where the bidding ends. In that case, you probably should be mad at the buyers, its their fault the price soared so high.

You're wrong. Read the CA law I quoted. It says it is illegal to sell a consumer good at a price greater than 10% of pre-state of emergency price during a state of emergency.  Period the end. It's not unclear. That's the law. It's there for you to read. I don't understand why you're arguing the contrary when I just quoted it to you. Wishful thinking maybe?

Message 14 of 65
latest reply

Frankly, I doubt excoriating sellers is going to do much good..........  Time would probably be better spent in reporting them to their state's Attorney General..........They can decide which is/isn't gouging and whether to file charges or not...........

Message 15 of 65
latest reply