cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Charging/Collecting Sales Tax

Ebay has begun charging sales for items in the State of IL,  our state does NOT charge sales tax on Numismatic Items (Coins, Paper Money) as long as it is or was Legal Tender at any time. I am a seller based in IL and sell Coins, Paper Money on the ebay platform daily.  My sales to IL addresses have been charged sales tax by ebay, when questioned Customer Service states "their Legal and Tax departments" have reviewed the laws and decided they are correct to charge tax when none is due.  They really need new "experts"  Hoping they will fix issue promptly as it clearly affects our business. My question is....do ebay members agree this is some type of tax fraud which should be investigated by the State.

elmhurstcoinsandcollectibles

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

@elmhurstcoinsandcollectibles wrote:

Ebay has begun charging sales for items in the State of IL,  our state does NOT charge sales tax on Numismatic Items (Coins, Paper Money) as long as it is or was Legal Tender at any time. I am a seller based in IL and sell Coins, Paper Money on the ebay platform daily.  My sales to IL addresses have been charged sales tax by ebay, when questioned Customer Service states "their Legal and Tax departments" have reviewed the laws and decided they are correct to charge tax when none is due.  They really need new "experts"  Hoping they will fix issue promptly as it clearly affects our business. My question is....do ebay members agree this is some type of tax fraud which should be investigated by the State.

elmhurstcoinsandcollectibles

You need to complain to your Department of Revenue.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

ancient coins, medieval coins, bullion etc would NOT be exempt; like your 4pc Silver Bullion. Not that they don't have the exemptions set correctly and ebay cs has no idea as ebay has hired a separate company to set this up etc. It's new, so it's not fraud.

Clarify your 'categories' and call between 9-5pm PST to try and get Calif reps on the phone- maybe they can redirect to 'tax dept' better.  

Message 3 of 3
latest reply