cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBay has unfair policies for sellers

Seller of 27 years with 100% positive feedback. Recently ended an auction due to a scam buyer and for the first time EBay is charging me the fee as if it sold. I have re-listed and now if it sells I get charged a second sell fee for the item. Talked with customer support and they will not cancel the fee. Last time this happened, EBay refunded the scam buyer without me receiving my item back. I received a $2 item with a tracking number for a $135 item. Took me 2-3 months of filing a dispute and a small claims litigation with Ebay. They finally refunded my loss but this time they are refusing to comply. I do not want to go through the same actions for under $20 in charges. Ebay has good buyer protection but poor seller protection.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: EBay has unfair policies for sellers

It sounds like this current situation is not the same as the previous situation as you describe it, which sounds more like a fraudulent return than a fee for cancelling an auction with bids.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@tms wrote:

....Please, in the future, make your response kind and without somewhat insulting blame.....

@tms Have you seen the Title of this Thread YOU started?

Not even SOMEWHAT insulting to the site...but 100% libelous at best. 

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

OP says:

"Thanks to all of you that have responded. I have canceled before without penalty. Maybe it was misses by Ebay? However, I was not willing to go through the same senario that I did before. I do not disagree with all that has been said but still have issue with the fact that Ebay refunded the scammer without waiting for me to receive my item. They clearly, in an email message stated " not to issue a refund until I receive and inspect my item" Which did not happen, hence my subsequent action. That is why I chose to ignore the policy and take my chances. Please, in the future, make your response kind and without somewhat insulting blame.  Thanks anyway, your time and responses are appreciated."

Well, then. 
You ignored the policy of the company you chose to do business with.
You took your chances.  

It's time for you to accept the consequences.  

Happy New Year.  

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Thanks for your thoughtful and helpful comments. Much appreciated.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Thanks for your thoughtful response. Very helpful

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

@tms wrote:

Seller of 27 years with 100% positive feedback. Recently ended an auction due to a scam buyer and for the first time EBay is charging me the fee as if it sold. I have re-listed and now if it sells I get charged a second sell fee for the item. Talked with customer support and they will not cancel the fee. Last time this happened, EBay refunded the scam buyer without me receiving my item back.

I think part of the confusion on this thread arose because you said "last time this happened" and then describe a completely different situation.

You have identified two different pain points for sellers on eBay, but other than the fact that the seller loses out in both cases, they really have nothing in common.

In the current (first) scenario you mentioned, you canceled an auction with bids and were charged a fee according to eBay policy. The buyer never paid and you never shipped anything and you were charged a Final Value Fee.

In the past (second) scenario you mentioned ("last time this happened"), a buyer purchased an item, paid for it, and you shipped it. The the buyer initiated a return and returned the wrong item (i.e. defrauded you) and eBay refunded the buyer anyway.

As unfair as they may be, these are both scenarios that are covered by eBay policy. The first scenario is clearly stated in policy, and the second scenario is covered by a blanket statement in eBay policy where you agree to abide by whatever decision makes.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply