cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBay Nightmare, Buyer " Always Right" Disaster

In the past 6 weeks I have lived through an EBay nightmare, that will not end.

I am a professional artist and in March, 2017 decided to sell my perfect Epson Stylus 3800 Photo Stylus Printer as I was planning on moving my studio, rather than storing it.

I paid 1200.00 for it and it worked perfectly and only needed a couple of new ink cartridges.

I was unaware that "Absolutely No Returns" was actually the Gateway to Hell, and meant nothing of the sort. I was also unaware that one must write " For Parts Only" for the "Absolutely No Returns" to mean anything.

I decided to sell my printer for 350.00 as I was hoping for a quick sale.

1 Epson 3800 Printer1 Epson 3800 Printer2 Epson 3800 Printer2 Epson 3800 Printer3 Epson 3800 Printer3 Epson 3800 Printer4Epson 3800nPrinter4Epson 3800nPrinter5 Epson 3800 Printer5 Epson 3800 Printer

Message 1 of 121
latest reply
120 REPLIES 120

Re: EBay Nightmare, Buyer " Always Right" Disaster

Sorry your printer got broke. Unless you use the original box with all the original packaging material then  that type item is not good for Ebay. Shipping boxes take a toll from start to finish, they move around, get drop, kicked, etc.  Keep in mind if "you" bought that printer and it arrived not working what would "you" do ? My guess is file a claim of it not working.

Message 46 of 121
latest reply

The heck with all the back and forth Zzzzzzzzzzzzzs on whether or not packing material was acceprable or not?

I wanna know about the coat!  What kind, etc, etc.............

It wasn't that long ago a Vince Lombardi authentic sweater was bought at a Goodwill for 58 cents!  It sold for over $43,000!!!!

Stranger things have happened!

Message 47 of 121
latest reply

I'm not being nasty.
I was irritated by the person who mentioned at least I didn't use Bill's underwear and Monica's blur dress to wrap the printer.

EBay specifically told me that the reason I never got to decide the return method is that the buyer wouldn't communicate with me so I had no idea the printer was actually being sent til it had been mailed. Hard to choose when one has no idea that ones property is being returned like a piece of junk.
I have no idea whether or not this buyer had a clue as to how to operate this printer.
I have no idea whether or not she broke it.
All I know is what she said.
Message 48 of 121
latest reply

actually it was a nice, older, ski jacket from Bogner.
When the buyer first contacted us, we thought she was going to say , "ha ha, printer's great and loved the coat!"
ppppfffft
Message 49 of 121
latest reply

"..I guess I need to repeat this 10000000000000000 times..."

Only when you look in the mirror..with a minimal result ...

"...The printer was wrapped in layers and layers of bubble wrap..."

Ok,  but when you buy any new electronic equipment, it would be helpful to pay attention how's the item wrapped  in the box and use the same method to wrap and  ship to your buyer...

"...This is getting boring..."

Indeed...your circuit must be overloaded...

Message 50 of 121
latest reply

@rschissler wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:
Perhaps a "normal" buyer would have also expected a USB cable with a NIB printer, but it's not so these days, is it?

If the printer originally came with one, yes.  All NIB printers come with ink cartridges.

You obviously haven't bought a printer in the last few years - NONE come with the usb cable anymore

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 51 of 121
latest reply

@rschissler wrote:

@chrysylys wrote:
Not necessarily. And most that do only include 'starter' cartridges with a small amount of ink.

A starter ink cartridge is still an ink cartridge.  Enough to make the printer work "perfectly."

But you don't get any paper to try it out on.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 52 of 121
latest reply

I assume you used a copious amount of packing peanuts as well as the bubble wrap and coat, right?  Because those two things alone won't be enough to provide sufficient protection from the shocks of being tossed around and dropped.

Message 53 of 121
latest reply

@sonoartista9 wrote:

There are THOUSANDS of seller complaints on the internet about EBay.
Google it.

No need. There are thousands of them here in these forums...

Message 54 of 121
latest reply

In general folks, can we ease up on the bubble wrap, coats and what not? None of that will protect a printer in shipping. When you get a new one, they don't use any of that. They ship in the retail box, no outer box. What matters is the internal shipping blocks, braces, brackets and tape. Without those, things can move around inside, things like the print head transport and paper drive system. If anything moves the wrong way, damage can be irreparable.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 55 of 121
latest reply

ha ha ha
no one here seems familiar with buying and selling wide format printers on EBay.
Many of these Epsons, 2200, 3800, 4800, etc etc etc have been discontinued but still work perfectly, better than the newer ones, and in fact my favorite printer, an Epson 2200 has been discontinued for about 8 years but it is such a work horse and so well loved that the ink cartridges can still be purchased for them.
Mostly they are sold w/o any ink on EBay or just a few cartridges , as was mine.
I paid 1200.00 for mine, was working perfectly but needed several ink cartridges at around 70.00 apiece so I took that under consideration when pricing it at 350.00
Surprise Surprise , I did include the USB cable with it, which it has to have!!!!
Message 56 of 121
latest reply

I have bought 3 printers on EBay, 2 were fine, one was not, no peanuts ever.
Message 57 of 121
latest reply

I told the buyer I did not have the original packaging and that I was not going to accept returns, which, silly me, I thought that meant that I didn't accept returns.
Now I understand that it all depends on what ones definition of the word "don't" is...or maybe it's "returns"...or "accept".....
Message 58 of 121
latest reply

If you sell on ebay, you accept SNAD returns. And pay for the return shipping. We all do. And I'd bet dollars to donuts darn close to every one of us as sellers have all suffered a loss at one time or another. It's a cost of doing business on ebay. That's not up for a vote, discussion or debate, just a stone cold fact.

Did your buyer actually open a return request through ebay, the reason being not working or missing parts? Or did they just send it back outside of the return system? I'm confused on that.

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 59 of 121
latest reply

@sonoartista9 wrote:
I told the buyer I did not have the original packaging and that I was not going to accept returns, which, silly me, I thought that meant that I didn't accept returns.
Now I understand that it all depends on what ones definition of the word "don't" is...or maybe it's "returns"...or "accept".....

What's silly is thinking you can deliver something that doesn't match the description, and then just tell the buyer to pound sand when they want a refund. That may be ok on Craigslist; not here.

Message 60 of 121
latest reply