cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY SUpplies now a real joke

So on top of having to pay tax for the supplies even if the total is under the coupon total amount they do not ACCEPT PAYPAL ! Are you kidding me ?

Message 1 of 95
latest reply
94 REPLIES 94

Re: EBAY SUpplies now a real joke

@myjunqueyourtreasure

Any ST for any other state collected by that seller is being collected by the seller which, unless they actually have a nexus in that state is wrong.

@disneyshopper 

I don't think Nevada has a sales tax, and I don't think the seller has a presence in California.

@fern*wood 

I really don't believe ebay or the box people have a nexus in West Virginia. 

...but, but,  West Virginia.  No one builds a nexus here.

I hope I'm not making a wrong assumption here and not preaching to the choir, but I see some confusion on the boards as to the meaning of "nexus".  In the past it meant a seller had to have a physical presence in a state to have nexus.  However, all of that changed with a recent Supreme Court decision that said "nexus" could be based on economic activity.  So now there two distinct classifications physical nexus and economic nexus.

This article which is linked to on eBay's sales tax page explains the nexus issues.

https://blog.taxjar.com/economic-nexus-laws/?utm_source=partner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ebay-m...

So for a dude selling eBay branded supplies, one has to wonder if they have economic nexus in all states or anticipate being there this year and decided to implement the tax sooner than later.

Then again, no one can know if an eBay seller has reached any "nexus" levels or not and is collecting sales tax for an additional profit.  Looks like the perfect scam since it does not appears as though eBay has any systems in place to track this.

all fwiw

Message 46 of 95
latest reply

@no_zero369 wrote:

@myjunqueyourtreasure

Any ST for any other state collected by that seller is being collected by the seller which, unless they actually have a nexus in that state is wrong.

@disneyshopper 

I don't think Nevada has a sales tax, and I don't think the seller has a presence in California.

@fern*wood 

I really don't believe ebay or the box people have a nexus in West Virginia. 

...but, but,  West Virginia.  No one builds a nexus here.

I hope I'm not making a wrong assumption here and not preaching to the choir, but I see some confusion on the boards as to the meaning of "nexus".  In the past it meant a seller had to have a physical presence in a state to have nexus.  However, all of that changed with a recent Supreme Court decision that said "nexus" could be based on economic activity.  So now there two distinct classifications physical nexus and economic nexus.

This article which is linked to on eBay's sales tax page explains the nexus issues.

https://blog.taxjar.com/economic-nexus-laws/?utm_source=partner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ebay-m...

So for a dude selling eBay branded supplies, one has to wonder if they have economic nexus in all states or anticipate being there this year and decided to implement the tax sooner than later.

Then again, no one can know if an eBay seller has reached any "nexus" levels or not and is collecting sales tax for an additional profit.  Looks like the perfect scam since it does not appears as though eBay has any systems in place to track this.

all fwiw

Bascom Logistics Corp is not a "dude selling eBay branded supplies".

They are a legitimate corporation who happens to have eBay as a client. eBay gave them some serious growth, but they were around before eBay selected them as their "partner". They have other clients besides eBay.

I suspect that they have filed for business licenses and Tax IDs in all 45 States that have Sales Tax ... because they need to file it themselves, not under the new Facilitator Laws ... because their business is not just eBay ... and the future of Sales Tax in all states looks like the old physical nexus rule is being tossed out for the economic nexus model and "internet sales tax" laws will be coming for most very soon.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 47 of 95
latest reply

I am being charged sales tax for ebay shipping supplies and I live in Rhode Island smallest state in the country, NEVER have I been charged sales tax before from ebay shipping supplies store? Is this legal? there is no internet sales tax in my state.

Message 48 of 95
latest reply

@ekmadonna wrote:

I am being charged sales tax for ebay shipping supplies and I live in Rhode Island smallest state in the country, NEVER have I been charged sales tax before from ebay shipping supplies store? Is this legal? there is no internet sales tax in my state.

Me thinks it might be helpful to read the particulars of this link:

Scroll down to your state and see what its says. 

I think it might be eye opening? Looks like something has been in place since 2017.

PS - perhaps on could move to the second smallest state, Delaware, as if memory serves they have no state sales tax? stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

Message 49 of 95
latest reply

Bascom Logistics has been involved in ecommerce for some time and it seems like involved with eBay in the past?   I think many posters here in this thread and most other threads as well, do not understand the size and scope of eBay as a marketplace but also what it takes to be a preferred partner with eBay on a business level.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 50 of 95
latest reply

In response to "If the seller has tracking showing delivery, the seller is protected if something is delivered and stolen so the dishonest people don't get away with it."
----------
I was referring to items not shown delivered. Have had 2 cases recently where the items were actually lost or stolen right within the post office. The items show the scans but no future movement so they never made it out of the PO. Sad but this does happen. Just read the newspapers about dishonest deliverers.
Message 51 of 95
latest reply

@no_zero369 wrote:

@ekmadonna wrote:

Me thinks it might be helpful to read the particulars of this link:

Scroll down to your state and see what its says. 

I think it might be eye opening? Looks like something has been in place since 2017.

PS - perhaps on could move to the second smallest state, Delaware, as if memory serves they have no state sales tax? stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

Only 5 States have no Sales Tax (Delaware isn't one of them ... and is mentioned in your linked article as having an Economic Nexus Law 😉 ) States with no Sales Tax laws on the books are:

• Alaska.
  • Delaware.
  • Montana.
  • New Hampshire.
  • Oregon.
penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 52 of 95
latest reply

They are on the new Managed Payments which everyone will be on at some point in the next year or two. PayPal will be an option in the Summer of 2019.
Message 53 of 95
latest reply

I ran into this as well and called eBay without entering any payment information. They told me the seller doesn't have there tax table set up correctly. I also contacted the seller and they just keep saying they have to collect tax in New York. I kept telling them I understand but you need to fix you **** table so people know tax is being collect in the first place. Maybe we should contact the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance to let them know of this illegal act because they are required to let the buyer know there is tax and how much before committing to buy.
Message 54 of 95
latest reply

I sell in New York and mine always shows up to the buyer so I don't quite understand what the issue is. Because both the seller and eBay is violating state law by not disclosing sales tax, percentage and the amount before being stuck paying for it. You only know when you have committed to pay meaning if you don't pay you get a strike on your account. Maybe each person that has ran into this should contact New York State Department of Taxation and Finance as well as the states attorney generals office. Maybe the seller and eBay will do something about it because they are both violating the states law and I am sure other states as well.
Message 55 of 95
latest reply

It can be done that way but most states also have requires that if someone has tax exemption the business that took the sale, eBay, has to take that form and ether take it off during checkout or remit the money to them after payment has been taken.
Message 56 of 95
latest reply

Usually eBay does as well but with the new managed payments system you end up committing to pay then see the final price afterwards
but before entering in payment information. The problem is the buyer is now stuck having to pay because if they don't they get a nonpayment strike on there account. This can cause an issue because of sale tax isn't on the original page showing before committing to pay. It only shows the shipping and price of item combined. eBay needs to fix this for it new managed payments as this will surely get them in trouble with most states because the buyer has to know the sales tax before being stuck paying for it.
Message 57 of 95
latest reply

@computeraidllc wrote:
It can be done that way but most states also have requires that if someone has tax exemption the business that took the sale, eBay, has to take that form and ether take it off during checkout or remit the money to them after payment has been taken.

I don't think anyone has said any different.  The problem is that Ebay has nothing in place to accomplish this.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 58 of 95
latest reply

@computeraidllc wrote:
I sell in New York and mine always shows up to the buyer so I don't quite understand what the issue is. Because both the seller and eBay is violating state law by not disclosing sales tax, percentage and the amount before being stuck paying for it. You only know when you have committed to pay meaning if you don't pay you get a strike on your account. Maybe each person that has ran into this should contact New York State Department of Taxation and Finance as well as the states attorney generals office. Maybe the seller and eBay will do something about it because they are both violating the states law and I am sure other states as well.

I'm not sure I understand.

Ebay should not yet be charging Sales Tax for NY as I understand it.  It is not on Ebay's list of states that they charge sales tax for or the list of upcoming states.

Sales tax that is applied to a sale because the seller has their account set up to charge tax is fine if in fact the seller should be charging sales tax for NY.  

Sales tax whether charged by Ebay or charged by the seller, shows on the invoice to the buyer and DOES show on the payment screen when preparing to submit payment.  It doesn't come as a surprise charge after the fact.

Message 59 of 95
latest reply

@computeraidllc wrote:
Usually eBay does as well but with the new managed payments system you end up committing to pay then see the final price afterwards
but before entering in payment information. The problem is the buyer is now stuck having to pay because if they don't they get a nonpayment strike on there account. This can cause an issue because of sale tax isn't on the original page showing before committing to pay. It only shows the shipping and price of item combined. eBay needs to fix this for it new managed payments as this will surely get them in trouble with most states because the buyer has to know the sales tax before being stuck paying for it.

Ebay usually does what as well?  

Are you saying that ebay doesn't allow buyers to see an invoice before paying.  Lets get some clarification on that to be sure as the Managed Payment program is relatively new and I'm certain there are things I'm not aware of since I'm not in the program.  

So you are saying that in Managed payments the buyer is not allowed to see the total price of their purchase until after they pay?!?

@Anonymous 

tyler@ebay 

Message 60 of 95
latest reply