cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does proof of a dishonest buyer affect dispute resolution?

I'm currently dealing with a buyer who is claiming an item I sold is not working.  I tested the item prior to shipping and it worked fine so I was highly suspicious.  Buyer requested a return and despite my suspicision I accepted the return becauase I know how little recourse I have dealing with a "not as described."  

A day later the buyer said he got the item repaired and doesn't want to do the return.  Instead he wants a partial refund to cover the repair.  I said a partial credit was no longer possible at least through eBay and that I wouldn't do a partial credit with an open return.  Buyer said he contacted eBay customer service and that eBay CS said I should give him the partial credit and then he closes the return.  This doesn't sound like and eBay policy to me.

I know that I don't have to offer the buyer any partial credit but my concern is that if I tell him sorry  no partial refund then I've given him incentive for him to break the item and return it for the full refund.

So my question is suppose the buyer breaks the item and ships it back do I have any recourse given the following:

1.  In our correspondence he claims he got the item repaired.  Could the buyer simply break the item and claim the repair didn't work?

2.  The buyer is on record saying they contacted eBay.  eBay can verify this because customers enter a code and their account info should be a part of the call record.  If a buyer has maken a verifiable false statement does this have an affect on other claims which can't be verified?

3.  If the buyer cancels the refund request can they leave me negative feedback?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Does proof of a dishonest buyer affect dispute resolution?

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

It's not unknown for electronic items to be shipped working fine and arrive not working so I don't know why you believe this is proof of dishonesty? Things shake loose and you're presumably talking about the Roomba.

However now that they've had it fixed I believe they have voided buyer protection and have no right to return?

Well, policy says that the item must be returned exactly as it was received. Pretty straightforward.

However, in the recent thread about NOS Telefunken tubes in sealed boxes where the buyer opened the boxes to test them and one was supposedly defective, Trinton said it's perfectly OK for the buyer to do that, which really simply negates the whole 'return in same condition' written policy.

So, it's pretty much obvious that the real  eBay policy in this regard is that the buyer can do whatever he wants so long as it costs the seller and not eBay- and the seller will get a defect for any attempt to resist the shakedown.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 16 of 19
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

Does proof of a dishonest buyer affect dispute resolution?

It usually means that the buyer wins the case faster.

Lately ebay has developed a new hidden policy that says that not only does a seller have to show the buyer is being dishonest, the seller has to show that the buyer intended to scam.  Try to pull that off.

Yeah, that's a scream. Blatant thievery on a buyer's part just shows that they're experienced in what eBay will allow them to get away with.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

@deep-garnet-red wrote:

You are over-thinking it. They opened a case. Return for refund. End of story.

Not anymore! 

"I can't print the label you sent" and "I just can't be hassled to rebox this" on the buyers part now = free item. This is how absurd eBay has become for sellers.

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Have them send you proof that it was repaired......should be the last you'll hear from them.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply