cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does eBay pay for the listing fee when it lists your item without your consent?

I dont understand this new term:

"We(eBay) may automatically renew your fixed-price listings unless your listing sells out or you cancel your listing" 

If eBay does NOT pay for the relisting fee but relist the items for me then force  me to pay,  it sounds like a robbery to me.  

if I dont want to give eBay a chance to  commit the crime,  when sould I cancel my listing? do I have to cancel the listing 12 hours before it ends so eBay wont get a chance to Auto-relist?

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

That ridiculouly vague policy is apparently trying to say that If you (1) have sold no more than 25 items in the past 12 months and if you (2) use the Quick version of the listing form, and if you (3)  choose fixed price format, then (4) the listing duration will automatically be set to "Good until canceled."

The above comment is based on this post by an eBay staff member (link should go directly to post #235):

http://community.ebay.com/t5/2017-Summer-Seller-Update-User/Fixed-Price-Listing-Renewals-UA-Update/m...

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

@nidsel wrote:

"We(eBay) may automatically renew your fixed-price listings unless your listing sells out or you cancel your listing" 

If eBay does NOT pay for the relisting fee but relist the items for me then force  me to pay,  it sounds like a robbery to me.  

if I dont want to give eBay a chance to  commit the crime,  when sould I cancel my listing? do I have to cancel the listing 12 hours before it ends so eBay wont get a chance to Auto-relist?

The fine print on the policy says u pay it.

Im not going to expand on my thoughts of this. Let's just say I don't think it's right

But if they have the sellers they say on public documents, the lowest they would increase their revenue from increase listing fees each month is around 20 million from unsuspecting people

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

@nidsel wrote:

This is against so many FTC federal laws. 

If u can get to the powerseller business forum  (if it's available to u) u can read more

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

That ridiculouly vague policy is apparently trying to say that If you (1) have sold no more than 25 items in the past 12 months and if you (2) use the Quick version of the listing form, and if you (3)  choose fixed price format, then (4) the listing duration will automatically be set to "Good until canceled."

The above comment is based on this post by an eBay staff member (link should go directly to post #235):

http://community.ebay.com/t5/2017-Summer-Seller-Update-User/Fixed-Price-Listing-Renewals-UA-Update/m...

Maybe eBay thinks they are "helping" occasional sellers by automating the management of their items, but besides the increased revenue this move will bring to eBay's bottom line,  I don't understand why the change has value or merit.

GTC listings sink like lead  in search results under Cassini.   Visability for occasional sellers stuck in this loop will almost certainly mean low or no sales.  How long would you hang in there and keep throwing good money after bad?

Hmmm...   Maybe that's part of the plan given eBay management has noted on several occasions in the past that fewer small sellers wouldn't break their hearts. (?)

Another thought...   Wonder if the same "rules" will apply to Chinese sellers?   Just think how many hundreds/(thousands?) of those there are, some which probably haven't made 25 or more sales in 12 months since there's so much competition.   Nice pot of money for eBay especially since a lot of these sellers seem to open/sell under multiple accounts.  

But on the other hand, given the preferential treatment this group seems to so often receive, they probably won't have access to the "Quick Listing Tool" anyway, so it will be a non-issue for them...     😉

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

This to me seems totally unethical.  What is next for this company?  Will it automatically bid for an item that a buyer has bid and lost ?   Why is ebay discriminating against one type of seller?   What if the item is lost or sold or the seller wants to change the price or the category?

I am just wondering now if perhaps we (all ebay sellers) can post these questions on Ebay 's FACEBOOK page.  I wonder if that will get someone in charge to clarify.

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

Maybe they can rewrite this rule for Chinese sellers only!

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

@ms.rodriguez* wrote:

This to me seems totally unethical.  What is next for this company?  Will it automatically bid for an item that a buyer has bid and lost ?   Why is ebay discriminating against one type of seller?   What if the item is lost or sold or the seller wants to change the price or the category?

I am just wondering now if perhaps we (all ebay sellers) can post these questions on Ebay 's FACEBOOK page.  I wonder if that will get someone in charge to clarify.

I invoked trinton on the powerseller business forum. So we will see what he says there. I got way more in depth of legal stuff on that forum.  

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

@nidsel wrote:

Ditto this came in my e.mail box also...very scary that word MAY...subject came up in yesterday's chat at 1:00 in the afternoon in the text chat...answer was we'll check into it...so keep your eye's pilled for the answer and let all of us know what MAY mean's and saftey features to stop payment to eBay's possible relist...that May happen...?

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

Now I need that in english...how many folk's are going to understand this new rule...and with all eBay's glitches everyone will have to police their listings...because it's all done by a engine...

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

@pinkrose442 wrote:

@partial*eclipse wrote:

That ridiculouly vague policy is apparently trying to say that If you (1) have sold no more than 25 items in the past 12 months and if you (2) use the Quick version of the listing form, and ...

Now I need that in english... ...

Alas, that WAS the "in English" translation of eBay's comments.  The key is that it only applies if you use the new version of the Quick listing form, because that form ONLY offers "Good until canceled" for fixed price listings.

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

@pinkrose442 wrote:

@partial*eclipse wrote:

That ridiculouly vague policy is apparently trying to say that If you (1) have sold no more than 25 items in the past 12 months and if you (2) use the Quick version of the listing form, and ...

Now I need that in english... ...

Alas, that WAS the "in English" translation of eBay's comments.  The key is that it only applies if you use the new version of the Quick listing form, because that form ONLY offers "Good until canceled" for fixed price listings.

I sell beyond 25 a month so I don't *think* the auto-listing will be something I have to be concerned with.  However, I don't know if I am using the "quick listing form", I am using the "advanced" form -- are they one in the same? Should I be worried?

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 12 of 32
latest reply

"Does eBay pay for the listing fee when it lists your item without your consent?"

No. ebay doesn't pay.

I think ebay figures that since it is documented in the UA that they are, maybe, going to relist it, YOU get to pay since YOU initiated the listing, and have given YOUR consent.

As a matter of fact, according to the UA, just about the only thing you still own, when you have listed an item, is the physical possession of the item - you have given ebay ALL rights to the description, photos, intellectual content, etc.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 13 of 32
latest reply

@klassic*kids wrote:
 ... I don't know if I am using the "quick listing form", I am using the "advanced" form -- are they one in the same? Should I be worried?

No, those are not the same. No, you should not be worried.

There is no automatic relist.  There is just a new streamlined version of the Quick form that only offers GTC as the duration for a fixed price listing. If you are using a listing form that offers multiple options for the duration of a fixed price listing, then you are not affected by this policy (at least according to what Alan said).

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

That's not what happened to me. I rarely list 30 days fixed price, and NEVER use good 'til cancelled. I also use the advanced listing form. This past week, two of my expired 30-day listings were relisted by eBay. I thought I was losing it, because I had deliberately not relisted my few listings that had ended in early April. I wondered why I got two separate questions on the two separate "expired" listings. The listing fees were counted against my 50 free listings per month. So I don't believe that eBay is limiting it to the Quick version of the listing form.

What if you've lost the item or gifted it or sold it to someone else? eBay isn't sending the standard email that congratulates you on listing your item and you'll get a major defect for having to cancel for being out of stock.

Some may say that it was my fault for not monitoring my account, but honestly, I didn't plan to list anything until summer, and I am an occasional seller. I worry about other occasional sellers.

Going forward, I'm planning to cancel any 30-day listings on the 29th day, to try to avoid eBay "helpfully" relisting for me.
Message 15 of 32
latest reply