cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does buyer's remorse no longer exist? No restocking fee, either? No partial refund? Returns useless.

I don't get that many returns, but had both expensive boots and a top returned in a couple of weeks. Both used clothing.

Does the new return policy ebay has gagged us with not allow buyer's remorse anymore? Both of the returns clearly say they don't like it, and it doesn't fit. I'm so disgusted that ebay  has downgraded sellers so badly to alllow fraud and bad behavior from buyers.

1. It shouldn't be an automatic return. I used to be able to prevent about half of them, because I'm an experienced seller. Ebay is a terrible seller.

2. Is there any way to get my postage paid, or any restocking fee now, or is it always going to be a loss situation for sellers?

Found out today that even Paypal won't help. Their policy to stop fraud only applies to buyers! Never to sellers!

I think the only thing I can do is offer no returns or stop selling anything used on ebay. It takes hours to fight this with ebay support who don't speak English and lie to get you off the phone - and so far no wins. -  sad to give up.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Does buyer's remorse no longer exist? No restocking fee, either? No partial refund? Returns usel

Did both those buyers file a remorse return or SNAD? You said the returns say remorse reasons, but I don't know if the buyers filed under those reasons or just typed it out in their comment. You didn't mention that in your OP. Filing a return under the reason of didn't like it or doesn't fit both fall under remorse in ebay's metrics. You will not get penalized in performance.

But if they filed a SNAD reason and admittedly mentioned a remorse reason in the comments, that is a loophole and ebay will not change that to a remorse for you. You will be responsible for return shipping costs and issuing a full refund to the buyer once the item arrives back to you.

One thing you can try in the future is to just ask the buyer to send the item back to you, give them your address, and refund them on your own... pretty much taking care of the return outside of ebay returns. This is allowed, and if the buyer agrees, you would save yourself some return shipping costs versus if the buyer filed a SNAD return.

Another thing you can try is if the buyer files an ebay return and you do not receive the item in the condition you sent it out, you are able to retain up to 50% of the return amount because of the current item condition. Of course you'll have to explain why you are keeping that amount, and this should only be done in circumstances of item condition.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Re: Does buyer's remorse no longer exist? No restocking fee, either? No partial refund? Returns usel

i had to doa return e bay said i had to got threw thiem thati could not do it  between just us to was not a item as not sescribed case noting like . but as i had never  did a refund i called e bay and thats when they told me i could not  do it outside of ebay .

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

They lied to you. Since you never did a return before they likely wanted you to go thru ebay because it's easier that way. Also ebay can monitor you more when you do that. The agent likely didn't want to take a chance with you since you have no returns experience.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Thank you.

In the first case, the agent filed a CASE in my name, which I never asked her for, so am fighting that completely - that's really forgery. But buyer gave remorse reason. Boots were also returned bad condition. I never heard of that 50% of bad condition. I thought 20% was highest allowed.

Also remorse reason in one today. I notice buyers don't even contact me anymore. So rude and nasty - treating me like a department store, KNOWING I'm losing money. I loathe them.

Cartoons...because pictures speak louder with words.
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Restocking fee was one of the smartest things ebay had done in years....so of course they got rid of it

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@cartooness wrote:
Thank you.

In the first case, the agent filed a CASE in my name, which I never asked her for, so am fighting that completely - that's really forgery. But buyer gave remorse reason. Boots were also returned bad condition. I never heard of that 50% of bad condition. I thought 20% was highest allowed.

Also remorse reason in one today. I notice buyers don't even contact me anymore. So rude and nasty - treating me like a department store, KNOWING I'm losing money. I loathe them.

It seems you are a little behind on the new return policies so you might read the last update for some help.  Remorse reasons are fine if you have a return policy, there are no more restocking fees.  The 50% refund refers to a faulty return and only applies if you offer free returns.  I'm not sure what your return policy is to know what applies to you.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Morning. Great reply. The OP did mention a 20% partial. There is a 20% partial if you don't offer free returns:

Partial Refunds in Arts & Collectibles:

"If you don't offer free returns, you can deduct 10% or 20% of the refund amount in situations where the item is returned for remorse reasons and is used or damaged. Only applies to sales in following categories...".

It goes on to list the categories similar to those that apply for the 50% return, but does not include Clothing, etc. Maybe your return policy reference includes the above, not sure. southern sweet tea sent me the policy on September 24 in a thread which I didn't not save. She even said it was the first she had heard of it. Hope this also helps.

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

New and improved nothing can go wrong now.  Best regards

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Yes like the others said, 50% retainment of refund is only available when you have free returns. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I'm going to assume that these were both filed as buyers remorse returns. You accept returns so there really is no option however, if you want to talk to the buyer first before they receive an automatic return label, you can got to your return preferences and require a RMA number. If you do that, ebay won't automatically approve the return.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

You loathe your customers?  That really is a problem.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply