cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone at ebay corporate know how they have ruined ebay beyond repair? Pure incompetence.

What is going on?

Don't they realize a lot of us make a living at ebay, and

to change it so it's way slower and inefficient is pure incompetance. 

The ebay founders and those that came shortly afterwards were

visionary geniuses.  

Who is minding the store now?  

Are they trying to sink the ship? 

They need to do something before it sinks.  

Message 1 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

Re: Does anyone at ebay corporate know how they have ruined ebay beyond repair? Pure incompetence.

I can't even load photos today.And I have an interested customer..

Message 46 of 67
latest reply

Re: Does anyone at ebay corporate know how they have ruined ebay beyond repair? Pure incompetence.

In their goal of "improving" the site they have destroyed the nice easy Ebay and turned it into a monster. The listing tool is bad. Can't see me is horrible. This new idea of adding Best Offers to auctions will kill auctions. The mobile platform acts differently from the online platform, causing confusion.

Ebay needs to stop "improving" the site and start fixing the "improvements"

Message 47 of 67
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

Pierre Omidyar started Ebay way back when.

I know that.  I just wondered how this other guy Pierre Omeddiere got on the list.

It looked to me like someone simply started wardialing the eBay voicemail extensions, and wrote down their best guesstimates as to how each person's name was spelled, for those recorded greeting messages where the person actually spoke their own name. I doubt they even recognized who Pierre Omidyar is, hence the muddled misspelling of his name as heard on his voicemail.

Message 48 of 67
latest reply

@relaxintowealth wrote:

Do you have a cell phone?  Download the app and take a picture with the phone.   I had few problems using the camera to take photos from my tablet or phone.  When one way fails try  another, don't wait for eBay to "fix" it.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 49 of 67
latest reply

@relaxintowealth wrote:

For 5 bucks a month, get wonderlister. I would never list something thru ebay's online interface. They bill it in a 3 month cycle, 15.00.

Plus you keep your listings locally, and can add listings if your internet goes out and upload them when it's back up. And they don't disappear after 90 days.

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

I bid on a listing following the rules. Had the auction run to the end it would have reached well over the $50. That buyer stole from a naive seller IMHO.

Yes if the auction ran and I won for $50 I would think that was fair. That is COMPLETELY different from a bidder asking the seller to sell off-Ebay for a steal of a price.

BTW I'm less concerned with the ethics of the seller than I am the buyer. The seller was stupid, the buyer was the theif.

You make some nice assumptions --- but considering the seller willingly sold whatever this item was (if there was an item) then there was no difference between how it was sold except a few upset people (who you seems to insist would have driven the price well above $50) --- seller got the money they wanted --- buyer got the item they wanted

Let me ask --- have you ever bought something for "well under market value" because that is the price the seller asked ???

Or did you jump in, explain the real value, and pay "fair value" ...

Message 51 of 67
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@sharingtheland wrote:

Pierre Omidyar started Ebay way back when.

I know that.  I just wondered how this other guy Pierre Omeddiere got on the list.

It looked to me like someone simply started wardialing the eBay voicemail extensions, and wrote down their best guesstimates as to how each person's name was spelled, for those recorded greeting messages where the person actually spoke their own name. I doubt they even recognized who Pierre Omidyar is, hence the muddled misspelling of his name as heard on his voicemail.

It's cold and crummy here and I'm stuck at my desk with no excuses for not getting things done; I was being a tad snarky with my who dat question ...

jack_o'lantern   <---best I can do since they removed the devil emoticon

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 52 of 67
latest reply

In their goal of "improving" the site they have destroyed the nice easy Ebay and turned it into a monster. The listing tool is bad. Can't see me is horrible. This new idea of adding Best Offers to auctions will kill auctions. The mobile platform acts differently from the online platform, causing confusion.

I kinda thought this is the sort of thing the OP was complaining about, and just went with "slower and inefficient" to avoid typing a novel. 

Not only do they have improvements that need to be fixed (bad coding, functionallity, page layout), they have improvements (even if they work smoothly) that are just counter-productive (bad idea) and need to be reversed.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 53 of 67
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

I kinda thought this is the sort of thing the OP was complaining about, and just went with "slower and inefficient" to avoid typing a novel. 

Not only do they have improvements that need to be fixed (bad coding, functionallity, page layout), they have improvements (even if they work smoothly) that are just counter-productive (bad idea) and need to be reversed.

And they just keep adding more bad ideas.

If I buy something below value that the seller has listed then I am still following the rules. That is completely different from me bidding on an item and having that item removed to sell off Ebay to another buyer who lowballed the seller.

There is a big difference between buying something for sale and KNOWINGLY offering a seller an amount well below market value if they sell off Ebay. It's issues like this that have led Ebay to crack down on writing in pictures and sending email addresses through the message system.

So unless I misunderstood you, you believe that these two things are comparable. A seller listing fixed price for a low number and a seller with an active listing who ends bids to sell off ebay? Good to know.

Message 55 of 67
latest reply

Why is it “good to know”? How does what this person does bother you ina day? Asking for a friend
Message 56 of 67
latest reply

It's a saying. 

Message 57 of 67
latest reply

So unless I misunderstood you, you believe that these two things are comparable. A seller listing fixed price for a low number and a seller with an active listing who ends bids to sell off ebay? Good to know.

Well, selling it off eBay is a policy violation in your scenario, so it's not exactly  the same.   However, the seller can accept a bid, end the auction early, and sell to the high bidder.   They can also cancel all the bids, end the listing, and then relist it as a BIN at the price the other user offered.  Both of these things can, and do, happen.  I think it's comparable.

As a bidder, I wouldn't be happy about either of these scenarios either. 

There is no way to know they ended the bids early to sell off eBay.  They could have found out what it was really worth, and decided to sell it off eBay (not to anyone who saw it on eBay) because they didn't want to expose themself to the risk of selling on eBay or accepting PayPal for it.

Ending auctions early irks me, regardless of the how or why.  I won't do it, except for a fatal error in my listing. 

I had a buyer trying hard recently (never suggested going off eBay though).  Started by asking how much I'd take.  I said I don't do that, just bid.  Then they offered $100 on my 99¢ auction.   I told them the same thing.  They ended up winning it for $65.  Oh well.  I'm fine with that, I congratulated him.  But like most of you here, that scenario usually does end up with me getting more money by refusing. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 58 of 67
latest reply

I know they sold it off Ebay because I know who bought it and resold it on their site. It didn't go back up for sale and they did cancel the original listing so there's no other way it could have happened. It's a pretty small collecting community, it's not hard to figure out what is going on.

I know there are people now who still send offers to naive sellers for less than the item is worth. I counter that by bidding early to show interest. Just like we always talk about on the boards. Unfortunately that is not always enough.

Message 59 of 67
latest reply

I can't say I understand any anger over people ending listings early. Maybe if it has bids on it that's something to frown upon, but I wouldn't call it cheating.

I've regularly sent offers to people who list stuff (not every day, just every now and then over the years) and quite often I have them politely decline, I don't badger them further and the item is still being relisted a year later. Sometimes people bite my hand off for the chance to sell an item.

Best offers for auctions is a superb idea.

I don't know if it's the same where you live, but round these parts in real-live auction houses the auctioneer starts the bidding at X figure then lowers it if no bids are recieved, then keeps lowering it until someone bids, then the auction starts.

One of the hardest parts of auctions is finding the right price to start something at. Say your item is 'worth' $100. You might think "ok, I'll list it at $100", but, alas, it doesn't sell. So next time you might start the auction at $90. Ok, so why didn't you start the auction at $90 the first time if you were willing to accept $90 for it? Because you wanted to try for $100, even though you were open to $90. Wouldn't it be great if you knew what the best likely price you could get would be without having to start at 99c?

Message 60 of 67
latest reply