cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does GSP repackage your items?

I've heard many stories that GSP (Global Shipping Program) repackages your items when it receives them, then sends it off to the actual destination. I would like to know anyone really knows this is true or not, and how their repackaging procedures are? If not, do they just use same padding/box you sent them?

I know for a fact that when I package my items for GSP, I make sure it has enough padding and protection to ensure it won't get damaged going such long distances. I would hate for GSP to take out all that padding/protection and attempt to use their own.

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Does GSP repackage your items?

I couldnt have said it any better. I just had a buyer refuse to buy it because they didnt want to use GPS as many of their shipments arrived damaged. Lock her up!

Message 16 of 34
latest reply

@etvideo1ataol wrote:

I really do not understand the need for this service.  In 18 years I have shipped thousands of packages all over the world and only once had a problem (A Laserdisc to Norway arrived broken.  I believe the tire tracks across the box had something to do with it).

Especially now that you can easily print the labels with the customs information and number.

I just sent a Blu-ray title to France.  Because it came in a Steelbook case, I wrapped it in bubble wrap, and boxed it to protect it from dents (normally I would use a bubble mailer).  Somebody in Malaysia plans to take an auction item when it ends tomorrow (seems that people outside the US have money).

What does GSP do that is better than what I do and at 75, anybody could do?

Nothing - they just charge a whole lot more.  I am outside of the USA, and when I buy on eBay I try to avoid listings using GSP - they just make the listing so much more expensive.

Message 17 of 34
latest reply

@nicsnakedelsol wrote:

@etvideo1ataol wrote:

I really do not understand the need for this service.  In 18 years I have shipped thousands of packages all over the world and only once had a problem (A Laserdisc to Norway arrived broken.  I believe the tire tracks across the box had something to do with it).

Especially now that you can easily print the labels with the customs information and number.

I just sent a Blu-ray title to France.  Because it came in a Steelbook case, I wrapped it in bubble wrap, and boxed it to protect it from dents (normally I would use a bubble mailer).  Somebody in Malaysia plans to take an auction item when it ends tomorrow (seems that people outside the US have money).

What does GSP do that is better than what I do and at 75, anybody could do?

Nothing - they just charge a whole lot more.  I am outside of the USA, and when I buy on eBay I try to avoid listings using GSP - they just make the listing so much more expensive.

@nicsnakedelsol - If you see something you like from a seller using GSP, just ask them if they are willing to send the package direct.  I will and have, and I know I'm not alone..

Message 18 of 34
latest reply

When GSP first appeared, a friend who shipps a lot of heavy stuff International tried it.  She sold a breakable that had it's own manufactured box and wrapped the box in bubble wrap and then double boxed it and shipped it out.  A few weeks later the buyer emailed to say that the item arrived safely, but she should have shipped in something more than the manufactures box it was sold in the store in.  GSP had taken it out of the extra box and removed the bubblewrap.  She stopped using GSP.

I have shipped a lot of stuff to flight2 and other reshippers and have never had a problem, even with breakables.  I pack as compactly as possible using one box making repacking unnecessary.

While that might have changed in recent years, the amount of space that will be saved in the ship container makes removing the larger extra box cost effective.  But to pay people to repack is not cost effective.  I am sure that PB has done cost analysis and most businesses consider payouts of a percentage of loss while saving a larger amount to be an acceptable practice.

(*Bleep*)
Message 19 of 34
latest reply

Provide tracking to ANYWHERE when the USPS will only provide complete tracking for a select few countries.
evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 20 of 34
latest reply

The need for this service is that it saves US Sellers hundreds of dollars in International Shipping costs.  Rather than spend on International shipping Fees, US Sellers are only responsible for shipping it Domestically.  eg.  A First Class International package that weighs 2 ounces averages $12.50 to Europe.  That same First Class International package sent to the GPS Shipping Center in the US averages $2.63.  Sellers do not receive a dime from the Shipping fees that are added to the sale.  They are shared between Ebay & Paypal. 

Message 21 of 34
latest reply

@ratonrebel wrote:

The need for this service is that it saves US Sellers hundreds of dollars in International Shipping costs.  Rather than spend on International shipping Fees, US Sellers are only responsible for shipping it Domestically.  eg.  A First Class International package that weighs 2 ounces averages $12.50 to Europe.  That same First Class International package sent to the GPS Shipping Center in the US averages $2.63.  Sellers do not receive a dime from the Shipping fees that are added to the sale.  They are shared between Ebay & Paypal. 

How does it save sellers money when the buyer pays the shipping, be it domestic or international? Direct shipping saves the BUYER money, at least on the original shipping. SNADS are another matter.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 22 of 34
latest reply

@seraphim8510 wrote:

I've heard many stories that GSP (Global Shipping Program) repackages your items when it receives them, then sends it off to the actual destination. I would like to know anyone really knows this is true or not, and how their repackaging procedures are? If not, do they just use same padding/box you sent them?

I know for a fact that when I package my items for GSP, I make sure it has enough padding and protection to ensure it won't get damaged going such long distances. I would hate for GSP to take out all that padding/protection and attempt to use their own.

@seraphim8510

All of the items that I have purchased through GSP arrived in the original packaging. There was no sign that any of them had been opened for inspection or repackaging. That's just my experience.

Message 23 of 34
latest reply

It doesn't - it may actually cost more for the Buyer.  The Seller is the only one who truly benefits. However, GSP allows International Buyers the opportunity to purchase items that they may not find in their own homeland via Ebay.  That is perhaps the only benefit for International Buyers. 

Message 24 of 34
latest reply

I worked a few years for a small magazine company. Most of the time I did Photoshop/Illustrator prepress work and layout, but when a special issue arrived for distribution I also unpacked books and other printed matter.

My boss told me exactly once to be careful with the box cutter. I never damaged a single copy, and there was only a single sheet of paper between the cardboard box and the printed matter inside.

I am astounded that someone who opens boxes for a living would ever damage anything inside them. That's all I got.

Message 25 of 34
latest reply

Just had my second GSP package arrive broken.  That's two this month.  Am out $100.  No more GSP for me!

Message 26 of 34
latest reply

Why are you out $100? Once your package is accepted at the GSP center, Piney Bowes is responsible from there. If it gets lost, they refund the buyer. Damaged in shipping, they refund the buyer. I don't understand. Details please.

Message 27 of 34
latest reply

They claimed the item was broken before it was shipped and started a return with Ebay. 

Message 28 of 34
latest reply

Some of us that are new to selling don't have your knowledge base. We are still apprehensive, so we use GSP. Thanks for your comment.

Message 29 of 34
latest reply

Yes!
Message 30 of 34
latest reply