cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you leave automatic positive feedback when you ship?

I don’t understand why sellers do this. The transaction isn’t complete and it leaves other sellers with false “great buyer” information. I’ve had buyers with recent positive feedback use and break my items among other things. I know I can’t leave neg feedback but I can at least leave none. I usually leave feedback after a week of receipt or when feedback is received. 

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

They are afraid that the buyer who doesn't get immediate feedback may neg them.  And now they can't neg back.

Message 2 of 53
latest reply

Some sellers probably leave immediate feedback because no matter when you leave it, it's meaningless.  It can even help to avoid issues with those few feedback-junkie buyers who might retaliate if they don't get their immediate hit after purchase.

Sellers who understand the current feedback system don't put much/any weight on buyer feedback received.  The buyer feedback left for sellers is more meaningful.

Message 3 of 53
latest reply

Personally, I do not. I only leave it if the buyer leaves it for me. Otherwise I have no idea if everything went fine. I understand others don't buy into this theory. That's fine. I quit worrying about feedback a while ago. 

As a buyer I leave it as soon as I get my item and make sure there are no problems. I haven't had a problem in a long time. I think I've left maybe 2 negs ever? 

Message 4 of 53
latest reply

I do it because many buyers appreciate it. I see it simply as a thank you for the business note.  Waiting to leave feedback isn't going to benefit me or hurt the buyer in any way so I don't see any point in waiting. 

I don't think that the majority of sellers leave feedback right away because they are afraid of a negative.  Imo it is good business to leave the feedback after the purchase/shipping.

Message 5 of 53
latest reply

I leave feedback when I ship.

Buyer feedback received is useless to other sellers now. Most sellers never see their buyers until after they buy, so it's essentially useless as any sort of "warning" to other sellers. The only buyer feedback that means anything is the feedback they leave.

All of my buyers get a thank you when they pay. Most buyers have no idea that their feedback received means nothing, and good buyers are proud of their feedback. They like to receive positive feedback, so I am happy to oblige by thanking them via feedback at shipping.  Bad buyers don't give a rat's patoot about feedback, because they know they can always start another account.

Besides, leaving feedback first avoids the wingnuts who do this:

9caf7ef4f602a663bef9fe902807a01f

Just one less thing I have to worry about.

Feedback - leave it first, leave it last, or leave it alone. It's voluntary, and I choose to leave it first for the reasons given above.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 6 of 53
latest reply

When I first started selling (on my Selling ID) I used to wait until my buyer left positive feedback for me and was disappointed on those occasions I wouldn't receive it and very happy when I did, so I returned the favor.   

Then some time afterward I decided to leave feedback for my buyers first because .... while I've never received anything but positive feedback, if I ever received a neg or a neutral, if I could not work something out with the buyer first to revise their feedback, then I would just respond to it.  

Fortunately, from reading the many posts here from seasoned sellers on how to properly respond to negative feedback, I learned that an *unwarranted neg, responded to properly, would only make the buyer look bad and not me.  

I like to receive positive feedback because I believe it lets those who do look at a seller's feedback, feel somewhat assured they can expect a great transaction when buying from me.   

Message 7 of 53
latest reply

@lugro_30 wrote:

I don’t understand why sellers do this. The transaction isn’t complete and it leaves other sellers with false “great buyer” information. I’ve had buyers with recent positive feedback use and break my items among other things. I know I can’t leave neg feedback but I can at least leave none. I usually leave feedback after a week of receipt or when feedback is received. 

I used to be of the same mindset as you. When feedback for buyers meant something, I would always wait until the buyer left it first so I would know the transaction came to a successful conclusion. Then I would leave the appropriate positive feedback for the buyer. 

Now that feedback left for buyers often means nothing, I leave it as soon as they pay for the very reason that Castle referred to way upthread. There are some buyers out there who have been known to leave a negative for the seller if they don't receive feedback first.  So, if they pay right away, the speed of their payment is reflected in the feedback. If they take their sweet time paying, I pretty much say "thanks, I appreciate your business" or something to that effect.

I think buyer to seller feedback is worthwhile, but I hope ebay eventually does away with seller to buyer feedback because it is virtually meaningless and could result in some buyers giving out negatives to sellers who don't leave it first. 

Message 8 of 53
latest reply

Most sellers leave feedback right after printing the postage for several reasons:

1. That is less trouble and takes less time.  They can leave feedback for 50 customers with just a few clicks.

2.  They don't want any of their good customers to think that maybe the seller thinks the customer doesn't deserve feedback.

3.  They CERTAINLY don't want their bad customers to think that the seller thinks the customer doesn't"t deserve feedback.  A seller would not want an unfair customer to be aggravated by a simple thing like feedback.

4.  The seller wants to leave feedback for every customer because it causes customers to come back and buy again. 

5.  It causes customers to leave feedback for the seller sometimes.  Some buyers do not leave feedback if the seller does not leave feedback.

6.  Leaving feedback for every customer is almost like receiving an automatic positive from every customer.  Buyers can look at the seller's "feedback left" and see how many customers where satisfied with the seller.

7.  It helps to cause buyers to leave feedback for OTHER SELLERS.  When more sellers participate in the feedback program, more buyers participate. 

Message 9 of 53
latest reply

Is that right? I didn't know if a seller left feedback a buyer couldn't leave negative feedback. Wow. I can understand why so many do it then.

Message 10 of 53
latest reply

FeedBacks are really much important for sellers in the sense that it counts on the number of the ratings they are getting. Besides, some new sellers are always eager to see their own ebay rating figure increasing. For the seller to maintain much more positive ratings or comments they usually make the comments to achieve an immediate or positive feedback from the buyer. Thanks for the question.

Message 11 of 53
latest reply

I think you misunderstood castle's post.  The buyer can infact leave NEG for the seller whether the seller leaves FB first or not.    Sellers cannot leave negative comments period,  nor can they leave a negative comment beside a green positive donut. as it is a policy violation for the seller.    In other words, buyers get to do anything they want and barely get a slap on the wrist, so it appears.      It has never been proven or made known that a buyer who gets 2 unpaid item strikes on his/her account is prohibited from buying here.  Nor has a buyer who has left 238 negative FB in a 2 1/2 year period get suspended indefinitely.   

Message 12 of 53
latest reply

@pauyo_43 wrote:

Is that right? I didn't know if a seller left feedback a buyer couldn't leave negative feedback. Wow. I can understand why so many do it then.

No, it's a seller that can't neg a buyer.  Buyer can neg a seller if they don't post immediate feedback.  So seller posts feedback first so buyer doesn't post neg for not receiving feedback.

Message 13 of 53
latest reply

@pauyo_43 wrote:

Buyers can neg a seller for any reason, or for no reason at all, just because they feel like it.

It is physically impossible for a seller to leave a buyer a neg, even if that buyer ripped the seller off. The setting does not exist. It's positive or nothing. To leave a negative comment with a green donut is a policy violation for the seller.

Since sellers cannot leave true buyer feedback, leaving it at payment or shipment is a safeguard against some buyers who neg sellers that don't leave feedback - and there are many, many of them out there.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 14 of 53
latest reply

@pauyo_43 replied to castle:

???   I'll have to go back to see if this is what castle said.   If I can't find it, would you please, and then copy and paste her comment?  Thanks.  

Message 15 of 53
latest reply