cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do any Ebay mods read these boards?

I used to sell hockey card "box breaks" here - But - After a couple "violation warnings" I had to cease. Why then, when I search "box breaks", do a whopping 8208 listings appear?? What makes it a violation for one seller - but not for hundreds of others? Pretty sure the "report" button is only there for show, as I have reported hundreds of them after being denied the ability to list these breaks myself - and ..... crickets. The reported sellers still continue to list them. 

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Do any Ebay mods read these boards?

Well most of us do not know what box breaks means, but to answer your question.  Yes we do have mods that read the forum threads.  No guarantee they will read this one.  The issue you explained seems to be with why you can not list something others sellers are listing?

The only answer that we know for sure is that if ebay told you not to list these items, then do not list them.  We can only speculate about why others are listed and if this is a problem for you then call CS and ask them to investigate the entire search result for these items.  You can also participate in the eBay weekly chat which allows you to communicate with eBay representatives about issues and questions.  It takes place on Wed at 1PM PST and lasts for 1 hour.  You can find the link above under discussions/ inside eBay/weekly chat.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

What was the specific reason given when your listings were removed? What is it about box breaks that eBay doesn't like?

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

Well most of us do not know what box breaks means, but to answer your question.  Yes we do have mods that read the forum threads.  No guarantee they will read this one.  The issue you explained seems to be with why you can not list something others sellers are listing?

The only answer that we know for sure is that if ebay told you not to list these items, then do not list them.  We can only speculate about why others are listed and if this is a problem for you then call CS and ask them to investigate the entire search result for these items.  You can also participate in the eBay weekly chat which allows you to communicate with eBay representatives about issues and questions.  It takes place on Wed at 1PM PST and lasts for 1 hour.  You can find the link above under discussions/ inside eBay/weekly chat.

Good Luck Selling!

^^ This.

OK - the purpose of a "box break" is rather than spending $100 or more on an unopened box of sports cards (or $1000 or more on an entire case), when the only cards I really want are Toronto Maple Leafs - I can just bid on that team in a box (or case) break. The seller will sell all 30 teams - then make a video of them opening the box (or case) of cards. The buyer would then get any cards from the team they purchased. Ebay frowns on this as it is considered a "chance" listing - as there may be no Toronto Maple Leaf cards in said box. I thought I solved this by including team specific cards for each buyer, no longer making it a "chance" listing (no other box breaker had to do this). Still Ebay removed my listings. Meanwhile there are over 8000 box breaks listed - With none eliminating the "chance" listings clause. Seems to be a bit biased to restrict one seller, while letting thousands of listings remain. The reason I am inquiring, is that many past buyers have messaged me asking when I will be doing them again, and if not - Why?

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

@woodyb12 wrote:

The reason I am inquiring, is that many past buyers have messaged me asking when I will be doing them again, and if not - Why?

If you want to continue selling here, IMHO this part is easy.Your answer to these inquiries would be "No, I am not doing it again because eBay told me not to."

I would assume eBay's reasoning is that these are "chance listings":

Chance listings policy
Examples of listings that are not allowed:
- Mystery items where contents aren't identified

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

@woodyb12  Yes, everything written here can be read by the mods, that is their job.  If a Member receives warnings, punishment, etc. theirs I am sure are read more often.  So this site is "policed" by Lithium.

As it relates to eBay and the box break issue I tend to agree with you because it happened to me on an incorrect Trademark Violation on an item being sold by many others.  I had the item listed off and on for a while and on a Relisting I changed one word ... errrnt!  Gone!  Warning to follow!  However, I came here and asked about it, got some good advice, never relisted again ... but even as I type this I can look at it because it is still here in my office.   I accepted the situation, unfair as it is AND I moved on.

I am glad you are reporting those other people IF indeed those items are not permitted.  Consider bringing this up at eBay's Weekly Chat ... squeaky wheel ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

That is my exact response - Ebay will not allow me to. Looks like it's time to even the playing field - Reporting these items seems to have no effect - I guess it's time to fill up a few mods inboxes, try to find time to join the weekly chat, and spend a few hours on the phone, hopefully with someone with more knowledge than most uninformed CSR's
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

@woodyb12 wrote:

With none eliminating the "chance" listings clause. Seems to be a bit biased to restrict one seller, while letting thousands of listings remain. The reason I am inquiring, is that many past buyers have messaged me asking when I will be doing them again, and if not - Why?

You were reported, probably by a competitor. Don't list again in that format.

At any given time there are over 1 BILLION listings on Ebay. They do not police the site, they depend on reports from other buyers and from VERO members.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

@woodyb12 wrote:

OK - the purpose of a "box break" is rather than spending $100 or more on an unopened box of sports cards (or $1000 or more on an entire case), when the only cards I really want are Toronto Maple Leafs - I can just bid on that team in a box (or case) break. The seller will sell all 30 teams - then make a video of them opening the box (or case) of cards. The buyer would then get any cards from the team they purchased. Ebay frowns on this as it is considered a "chance" listing - as there may be no Toronto Maple Leaf cards in said box. I thought I solved this by including team specific cards for each buyer, no longer making it a "chance" listing (no other box breaker had to do this). Still Ebay removed my listings. Meanwhile there are over 8000 box breaks listed - With none eliminating the "chance" listings clause. Seems to be a bit biased to restrict one seller, while letting thousands of listings remain. The reason I am inquiring, is that many past buyers have messaged me asking when I will be doing them again, and if not - Why?

Why not just break the box up completely and just sell the remaining 29 teams as complete sets  for that teams year card?  Forget about the box break all together So instead on having one listing you will have 29 listings each one for a different teams complete set of cards

Good Luck Selling!

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

@woodyb12

Well, you sell cards, and are reporting other card sellers.

Unless the ebay person knows what a box break is, and that it violates rules, (good luck)

Chances are good they will ignore it.

The only time ebay reads the boards is if they are summoned.

trinton@ebay

edit... I never can get the summons to work.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

they sure seemed to know what they were when I listed them *_*
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

@woodyb12 wrote:
That is my exact response - Ebay will not allow me to. Looks like it's time to even the playing field - Reporting these items seems to have no effect - I guess it's time to fill up a few mods inboxes, try to find time to join the weekly chat, and spend a few hours on the phone, hopefully with someone with more knowledge than most uninformed CSR'

Mods work for Lithium - not eBay. 

Before you do all that ^^, make sure your listings complied fully with the policy.

Chance listings policy

"Box breaks" or similar trading card listings are allowed as long as you follow these rules:

• Don't call out a chance to win a specific card of significant monetary or collectible value

• You must offer a full refund if the box doesn't contain the certain team or player the buyer purchased.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@*eponymous* wrote:

@woodyb12 wrote:
That is my exact response - Ebay will not allow me to. Looks like it's time to even the playing field - Reporting these items seems to have no effect - I guess it's time to fill up a few mods inboxes, try to find time to join the weekly chat, and spend a few hours on the phone, hopefully with someone with more knowledge than most uninformed CSR'

Mods work for Lithium - not eBay. 

Before you do all that ^^, make sure your listings complied fully with the policy.

Chance listings policy

"Box breaks" or similar trading card listings are allowed as long as you follow these rules:

• Don't call out a chance to win a specific card of significant monetary or collectible value

• You must offer a full refund if the box doesn't contain the certain team or player the buyer purchased.

So it looks like there might be more to the story (MTTS) that the OP is not telling us about why they can not but others can?

Good Luck Selling!

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

@woodyb12

@woodyb12 wrote:
they sure seemed to know what they were when I listed them *_*

Funny how that happens (not).

I thought when you bought a big box of cards, they included all the teams and players for the season.

If you are going to break a box, why not as suggested above, sell as teams ?

All I know of cards, is back when it was a craze, you could buy them at the gas station, and grocery.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply