cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dishonest Reviews

So I’ve now got 2 negative reviews, though had been making nearly $2500 in sales a month until the first one.. now I’m lucky to get near $100 let alone over.. first one I wasn’t sure I could adjust about because it’s possible.. then the more I thought about it the less likely it appeared.

After having several people assess the situation and realizing they way it happened I now firmly believe they were intentionally being malicious with intent of derailment.. eBay won’t listen so I’ve sat in silence on it. 
Then I got my most recent one. Customer says over 3 weeks after purchase that the records are too scratched to listen to, I provided photographs demonstrating they were not.
They also complained about one record being swapped for another when that info was in the listing and they were well aware of this because we had discussed it. They even expressed initial gratitude.. then all of a sudden they leave this slander. Contacted eBay, they say the customer has not violated any policy.. review policy states that dishonest behavior and malicious intent are an abuse of the review process, is this the twilight zone or something?? 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Dishonest Reviews

You can overcome the negative feedbacks with highly professional, non-accusatory responses.  

Just be careful with wording and don't get too wordy. Tell about how easy refunds are if a buyer is not pleased and that sort of thing. Contact me first if you have any issues whatsoever, blah blah blah. 

Just don't say anything about the buyer that left the feedback.

No one will even see the 2nd one that is buried. I went back 3 pages and did not see it. That was enough for me.

Posting ID
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

You should know that leaving negative comments in a positive feedback to a buyer is a violation of ebay's feedback policy. It looks bad to potential customers who may review your feedback profile and ebay may take administrative actions that could be a detriment to selling. That is detailed here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-policies/feedback-policies?id=4208

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

@lakefor94 wrote: ...No one will even see the 2nd one that is buried. I went back 3 pages and did not see it. That was enough for me.

Did you know that you can click on the "2" in the feedback ratings box at the top of the page, to get a view that shows just those negs?

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Welcome to the wonderful world of selling vinyl records...............This past year I had 12 not as described returns which ebay now charges me an extra 5% on my sales.............All of these returns were relisted and 9 of them sold without a problem...........What's my recourse?..............There is none.  

Elliot Yablun
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@shigbig wrote:

Welcome to the wonderful world of selling vinyl records...............This past year I had 12 not as described returns which ebay now charges me an extra 5% on my sales.............All of these returns were relisted and 9 of them sold without a problem...........What's my recourse?..............There is none.  

Why don't you show photos of the records themselves?

Have a great day
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Did you not look at any of my listings...................There are photos with each and every one of them

Elliot Yablun
Message 7 of 21
latest reply

When a buyer complains do you immediately refund them or do the back and forth emails until the buyer is upset?....If you're making $2500. in sales a month...just refund the buyer immediately if it's a small amount. And then send a "sorry email". There will always be a "profit & loss" in sales.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@shigbig wrote:

Did you not look at any of my listings...................There are photos with each and every one of them

I think what @kensgiftshop  means is close up photos of the record itself.

That way customer doesn't have to rely on your rating of the condition, they can see for themselves. 

Might cut down on dissatisfied customers.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@shigbig wrote:

Yes, I did and didn't see a one that showed the whole record.

The 45s only show the sleeve

The albums only show part of the record.

Have a great day
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@shigbig wrote:

Welcome to the wonderful world of selling vinyl records

Are you serious?

He sold a copy of the Hendrix 2 LP set Electric Ladyland  with the title "Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland Vinyl LP First Press Original" but disc 1 had been replaced with a Beatles LP.

As a record collector I am utterly speechless.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Ok.. but I shouldn’t have false negative information to worry about weighing down my sales effectively nearly bankrupting me to “overcome” when 99% of my customers leave glowing reviews because I sell quality product and offer a high standard of service. It’s not acceptable or accurate.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

I am aware of this but l discovered through situations where belligerent sellers who tried to screw me over but were not successful were doing this to me. These reviews were left by people who were straight up lying and accused me of doing what they had in fact done or attempted to do to me. I discovered eBay won’t do anything about it. Literally. They did eventually for some but not all and this was a very long drawn out process where they kept acting like they didn’t know what I was talking about or referencing. I think it took a combined 6 hours to get rid of 2 of them. so far as I’m concerned as long as it is honest than it’s not only justified, it is a powerful tool for sellers against bad buyers. Because and this is the important part, it’s honest when I do it.  If I get action against me for it so be it though I have evidence they took no action against several other individuals for the same thing. Even if they’ve told you they’ve taken action against other accounts, I have evidence indicating it’s very likely they did nothing. I had a lot of respect for eBay until I started selling on here full time. The behavior of people is appalling, eBay themselves has no excuse for it though, like at all. 

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

I have pictures of the records. I showed them to the buyer and to eBay. Doesn’t matter apparently. I didn’t think anyone would outright lie like this. 

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

You’re not paying close enough attention. I make basically no sales now. Because of one buyer. Who I refunded by the way and offered to do so upfront. They said it was fine they were just disappointed, I offered them 50% off their next visit as well as buy one get one free up to 10 items for dvd and  blu ray. They says thanks then turned around and left that review. I keep my product sealed in bags, in totes, in closets. I wipe them with bleach abd spray the boxes with febreeze. While it’s possible that there may have been a faint scent it did not “wreak” nor did it have “smoke damage” I refunded them anyway because customer satisfaction is more important to me than the sale though I do need to eat and pay my bills like anyone else. I’m a firm believer in mutual respect and encouraging repeat business. Know how much repeat business I get? they won’t even change it to neutral. I offered a refund or a replacement upfront as well. I don’t argue with my customers and I don’t misrepresent the Items I sell which is otherwise apparent and can be seen by the dozens of honest reviews I have received. See how these reviews create a stigma? You have no reason to ask me a question like that if it weren’t for these people. That’s exactly what I’m talking about, it’s not an accurate representation of what one should expect when dealing with my shop. My customers know this, everyone else has to wonder.
now with the most recent one, they didn’t even give me a chance to offer a refund or anything. Because it came out of nowhere, they thanked me when they got it and remarked that the stickers I included were cool, my stickers are very cool. Thought hey this is a cool customer(not everyone likes my stickers because they’re hilarious and provocative).. then a couple weeks later He asked me if I found the other record, this was bizarre as this was weeks after he got it and it was described in the listing. I explained to him no that’s how the person I got it from had sold it to me, though would have appreciated had they done what I had. As I know how that feels, went agreed and explained to them anyway that recognizing this and not one to do the same to someone else. I went through my collection and carefully chose a quality album to substitute it with, this was not just some toss in rando album. this was the Beatles something new, the cover had gotten lost in high school, this album had only been played twice, was absolutely mint condition. Both albums were first pressing all said and done I sold it to him on sale for less than 20 bucks, he knew what he was getting, he got substantially more than he paid for. I even offered to sell him my 2010 repressing if he wanted. He said no thanks. What more could I do? Well I don’t like to have unsatisfied customers so I Thanked him for his business as well as his interest, went and offered him 30% discount for future purchase in addition to buy one get one free up to five items for dvd/blu ray out of good faith, like hey we sell a lot of good products, see what else we got,  was my thinking at the time. He turned around abd leaves that review. People don’t seem interested in good businesses practices though, the stories I could tell you that you probably couldn’t care less would maybe you wonder why I even bother. While it is well known it does not matter what you do, there are some people that can not be pleased and I accept that, hell I knew that but I didn’t know that no matter what you do some people are going to be malicious simply because they can. I would have refunded him IF he had asked, it’s funny that you think things are so simple. Well they’re not. Personally I’d like know what is wrong with people these days. Despite showing eBay evidence of all this including pics of the records prior to shipment they write me back stating they feel this is a good opportunity to try working it out with my customer and seeing if they’ll change it. When I had already done that and asked why they were being dishonest about it, they write me back stating the records are garbage and that I’m garbage. I’m at the end of my rope with this. 

Message 15 of 21
latest reply