cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I miss a new policy / rule / guideline ?

As @scene.of.the.crop stated, eBay's expectations are for delivery before the promised delivery date

Ummm...what is the definition of "expectations" and how does it impact sellers?   Does "expectation" trump "promised?"

Signed,

Maybe I Didn't Read Every Word In That Thread ?

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 1 of 66
latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Re: Did I miss a new policy / rule / guideline ?

@chrysylys wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Technically, yes, since it's their account(s). But the seller chooses them. So the argument can be made for both.

When I go to the grocery store and choose chocolate, vanilla or Key Lime Pie, am I 'contracting with either the store or the ice cream maker?

Or am I simply making a selection from what the store and the maker have contracted to offer?

That's a tad different, because if the pies are moldy, then either the store or the company will deal with it(or both).

Here, we have a big block in the way - ebay won't help, and usps won't help much because it's ultimately not your account.

I'm trying to understand this.

From what I understand in this thread, as long as the seller ships the item in the stated handling time, no matter how late it arrives ("three days or more"), as long as it arrives, it is not eligible for a return.

What if in the same situation, the seller charged for Priority Shipping but shipped it media mail instead. If you hold the seller responsible for shipping in the stated handling time, it seems the seller should also be held responsible for shipping the item via the mail speed it was stated to be shipped. 

There is a potential for a significant difference between the delivery times for Priority Shipping and media mail. I think a seller should be held responsible for the delay if he chose a different speed of shipping other than the one he stated in his listing. 

Message 62 of 66
latest reply

There is no penalty, apparently, for Premium Store sellers that don't ship in a timely fashion or use the ascribed shipping company. 

I recently had to deal with a Premium Store seller who (I found this out AFTER I ordered my item) has a long track record of late shipment (I mean way late somtimes. Some people said their item didn't arrive until a month+ after the expected time of arrival)  and non-shipments.

Seller is still selling. 
E-Bay is still making an income on store fees.

Message 63 of 66
latest reply

Late shipment rates look at promised handling times.  Estimated delivery dates don't .  The staff seem to all believe that we can control the calculated dates by simply adjusting handling, when they are not a function of the handling time at all.  They should be, it's the only thing that makes sense, but it is not programmed to work that way at all. 

I have found, consistently, that if I extend my handling time to the point that delivery dates turn orange and scream Danger Will Robinson ! to the buyer, I am free of the punitive estimated delivery dates that are based on my exemplary shipping times.   I believe it's 5-day handling (maybe 4?) that causes the orange font to appear.

I have always had 2-day handling; have never chased that TRS+ carrot.  As we have all stated,  for years, I consistently get the Fast 'n Free and/or 1-3 day delivery estimates on my listings because I almost always ship same or next day which thus makes me A Super Special Shipper.

However, it's too cold today to make a post office run for one small item.  The beauty of 2-day handling; it will go out manana and get the scan right under the wire.  

I always extend my handling time in vacation mode and even when I'm gone for only a day or two and haven't used vacation mode.  Ya never know when I won't be able to make the 30-minute drive back home because I'm babysitting during a SNOW DAY*.   Or this month's TOO COLD FOR SCHOOL* days.

*Hurts to even type those words ...

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 64 of 66
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

Late shipment rates look at promised handling times.  Estimated delivery dates don't .  The staff seem to all believe that we can control the calculated dates by simply adjusting handling, when they are not a function of the handling time at all.  They should be, it's the only thing that makes sense, but it is not programmed to work that way at all. 

I have found, consistently, that if I extend my handling time to the point that delivery dates turn orange and scream Danger Will Robinson ! to the buyer, I am free of the punitive estimated delivery dates that are based on my exemplary shipping times.   I believe it's 5-day handling (maybe 4?) that causes the orange font to appear.

I have always had 2-day handling; have never chased that TRS+ carrot.  As we have all stated,  for years, I consistently get the Fast 'n Free and/or 1-3 day delivery estimates on my listings because I almost always ship same or next day which thus makes me A Super Special Shipper.

However, it's too cold today to make a post office run for one small item.  The beauty of 2-day handling; it will go out manana and get the scan right under the wire.  

I always extend my handling time in vacation mode and even when I'm gone for only a day or two and haven't used vacation mode.  Ya never know when I won't be able to make the 30-minute drive back home because I'm babysitting during a SNOW DAY*.   Or this month's TOO COLD FOR SCHOOL* days.

*Hurts to even type those words ...

I'm usually doing two days too, and pretty much agree with everything you've said.  However, I did step it up for the holidays, and have been shipping every day for a few months.  I'm getting ready to switch it back to two day now, but those weeks of shipping faster will in fact haunt me for a while until I've shipped enough the other way to lower the averages. 

I'll be fine on the dashboard as long as I do what I say I am going to do most of the time, but the estimates from eBay will remain overly optimistic until my holiday shipments are balanced out with longer shipping times in the actual data.  I just get irritated when the assumption is made that all of these metrics are looking at the same data when they are not. 

Message 65 of 66
latest reply

That's why I have 3 day handling. I'm not going to rush around - I'm going to pack it well and I may/may not have what I need, or decide to run to the PO.

However, I just picked up something from my PO that was available since 1/11. DUe to the weather, my PO closing at 2:30 PM, etc., it was picked up today.

When I went to leave feedback, I saw it said expected date 1/12, delivered 1/17(and no question to me as to if it arrived on time). The 'Available for Pickup' should have been marked as the delivery date since I have only a PO box.

I told my seller to call ebay to make sure they don't get a late shipment ding because of ebay's poor programming.