cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defect for late delivery

Tell me how it is my fault that a package sits in the post office for a week waiting on buyer to pick it up? This is the 2nd defect I have received in the past month that is ridiculous. I sold a ring and a month later the buyer decided to return it because it "didn't seem real" and started the return process. Ebay sent a return label and of course charged me for it. After about 18 days they closed it because it was never returned- but I still have the defect. It seems to me that as long as we take care of our customers ebay needs to keep out of it. They should only step in if the problem is not resolved. Now I have NO control over when the customer decides to pick up their package, just as I have no control over whether the post office scans the package at every destination. Yet, ebay deems it prudent to give out defects for every infraction they can think of.  I have always taken care of my customers to make sure they are 100% happy, but I'm getting tired of these "defects" that are out of my control. My rant for the week.

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Defect for late delivery

wrote:

Tell me how it is my fault that a package sits in the post office for a week waiting on buyer to pick it up? This is the 2nd defect I have received in the past month that is ridiculous ... I'm getting tired of these "defects" that are out of my control.

These defects are within your control.

Shipping defects are not based on customer delivery or pick-up times, they are based on your stated handling time.  That is, you must prove to eBay that you turned your package over to the carrier within your stated handling time.  The proof is based on two things needing to happen: (a) you uploaded tracking information, and (b) you got a carrier scan.

If either (a) or (b) do not happen within your stated handling time frame, then you get a shipping defect.

Message 2 of 42
latest reply

Defect for late delivery

Not always, Ellis.
I have two packages out right now, PO says they're "in transit" but they are already late. I have a one day handling time on most of my items, and these two in particular were shipped the day we received the orders, not late at all. So, even though I shipped way before my handling time, I have two late shipments because the carriers didn't follow through on delivery. Not a defect. per se, but it does count against my shipping metrics. This particular metric is unjust. The only metric WE can control is the handling time metric. Once it leaves our possession, we can't control it, yet eBay marks it against us even though it's out of our control.

OP may have received a defect for allowing eBay to close the case for her.
Message 3 of 42
latest reply

Defect for late delivery

I got a shipping defect last year for a package that tracking showed it was delivered late.

It was shipped and scanned on time and I got a defect because USPS didn't deliver it when Ebay thought it should have been delivered.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 42
latest reply

Defect for late delivery

I have shipping within 24 hours after receiving payment-which I did. The package was scanned. It was shipped on the 18th and arrived on the 22nd and out for delivery. A notice was left for buyer and they didn't pick it up until the 30th. The reason ebay gave for my defect was late delivery. How is that my fault.

Message 5 of 42
latest reply

Defect for late delivery

wrote:

I got a shipping defect last year for a package that tracking showed it was delivered late.

It was shipped and scanned on time and I got a defect because USPS didn't deliver it when Ebay thought it should have been delivered.

OK ... I hear you ... but how does that show up as a shipping defect?  There is nothing on that metric's report interface that has anything to do with delivery.  The only two things are tracking uploaded and carrier scan.  Which of those two metrics is showing up in this case as a defect?

Is it possible that your defect was due to "case closed without seller resolution?" rather than a shipping defect?

Message 6 of 42
latest reply

Defect for late delivery

wrote:

I have shipping within 24 hours after receiving payment-which I did. The package was scanned. It was shipped on the 18th and arrived on the 22nd and out for delivery. A notice was left for buyer and they didn't pick it up until the 30th. The reason ebay gave for my defect was late delivery. How is that my fault.

Please help me to appreciate the character of your defect.

• If it is a shipping defect, what does your shipping defect interface show as the reason for the defect?  Is it tracking not uploaded, tracking uploaded late, or no carrier scan?
  • Alternatively, is your defect is due to "case closed without seller resolution" ... such as the buyer opened an INR claim, did you not respond to the case (or resolve it), and it closed in favor of the buyer?

Message 7 of 42
latest reply

Defect for late delivery

wrote:
Not always, Ellis.
I have two packages out right now, PO says they're "in transit" but they are already late. I have a one day handling time on most of my items, and these two in particular were shipped the day we received the orders, not late at all. So, even though I shipped way before my handling time, I have two late shipments because the carriers didn't follow through on delivery. Not a defect. per se, but it does count against my shipping metrics. This particular metric is unjust. The only metric WE can control is the handling time metric. Once it leaves our possession, we can't control it, yet eBay marks it against us even though it's out of our control.

Where is a late delivery marked against us ... or where is it indicated to us?   Or is this just something that is behind the scenes?

I've had late shipments as well, but I don't see any indication from eBay that they are penalizing me.

Message 8 of 42
latest reply

Defect for late delivery

How can that be a closed case without sellers resolution? It just happened on the 30th of January and it wasn't the customer that complained. "Tracking indicates late delivery" is the reason. She paid for parcel post but I upgraded her to priority. It doesn't matter whether they call it a "defect" or not, it still counts against me.

Message 9 of 42
latest reply

Defect for late delivery

wrote:

How can that be a closed case without sellers resolution? It just happened on the 30th of January and it wasn't the customer that complained. "Tracking indicates late delivery" is the reason. She paid for parcel post but I upgraded her to priority. It doesn't matter whether they call it a "defect" or not, it still counts against me.

You originally used the word "defect", so that was what I was basing my posts upon.  OK ... not a defect ... just something that counts against us.    So, now I'm just trying to understand what you are officially seeing from eBay that says this late delivery somehow counts against you.

Is this a message from eBay, or is it on our seller hub interface somewhere?

Message 10 of 42
latest reply

Defect for late delivery

Im sorry but Im must disagree with you ellis61.  I just received 2 defects from a package ( 2 auctions combined together)  that was not delivered on time because it set in the post office sorting facility for 3 days before it was sent to its final destination. The package was shipped on time and was scanned when picked up. 

I was told by ebay personnel what you are stating, but It was just proven to me that info is **bleep**.

Message 11 of 42
latest reply

Defect for late delivery

Its on the dashboard as Late Shipment Rate

Under report

Reason for counting the transaction

Tracking indicates late delivery

3.0 % or higher you lose TSR

Considering this "metric" is what ebay says is late (NOT USPS delivery times) . . .even the listing is marked as 1st USPS Class Mail, they state delivery time is 2-3 days. If you use one day handling, means you got 4 days from purchase to get a 1st Class Package delivered . . . 

Our percentage keeps ticking higher due to ebay's **bleep** 

Message 12 of 42
latest reply

Defect for late delivery

wrote:

Its on the dashboard as Late Shipment Rate

Under report

Reason for counting the transaction

Tracking indicates late delivery

The text below that says "If you ship on time and upload validated tracking or your buyers tell us the shipment was on time when they leave feedback, you're all set."

Are you (and others) telling me that this will show a defect if a package arrives late, despite the fact that you uploaded tracking and got a scan within your handling time?

In other words, the shipment shows up as a defect under this "Late Shipping Rate" metric, but when one looks down a couple of more metrics to "Tracking uploaded on time and validated", you are not seeing the same shipment as being problematic?

(I'm only surprised simply because it hasn't happened to me ... I've had late shipments, but because the tracking information was properly uploaded and validated, it isn't on this dashboard for me).

Message 13 of 42
latest reply

Defect for late delivery

It's under Late Shipment Rate and it says Tracking indicates late delivery.

Have a great day
Message 14 of 42
latest reply

Defect for late delivery

YES, as a seller you are responsible for a late delivery.

Example of what we have a counted against us.  A listing with 1st Class  USPS shown as the shipping.

Purchased and paid for on Jan 6 (Saturday)

Shipped on Jan 8

Delivered on Jan 12

Positive feedback, happy customer 

Yet we have a strike, defect or whatever you wanna call it on our 

"Your late shipment report"

And this is not the only "defect, strike" we have on this report that is for the last 12 months. Calling CS is just a long drawn out process that might or not do a thing about it. So basically, with 3% the allowable limit, we have to keep our shipping PERFECT to keep below the standard, for now.

Message 15 of 42
latest reply